Matrix Prop question

Proximo

I wonder if anyone ever made the prop thing the matrix people have in their neck.
Reason i ask this is they just aired the movie on TV and they had some closeups on it, does someone have those screen caps?
It would be really cool build something like it, but not attached.
If i get good refference picture i should be able to make one.

Oh and that tracking bug, that "Neo" gets in his tummy, That looks pretty cool too, i remember seeing it here somewhere.
I would like some picture of that too if someone have some.

Hope any of my english make sense, Thanks in advance.

I think chaucer44 made some...heres a quick tutorial I will post...

Use a 1 1/4" SSteel end plug that you can get at Lowes/Home Depot. Then spread all the prongs out even and flat. Then I used some sculpey and made the Tri-spread piece on the bottom, then made the top outer ring on thats around the circumference of the plug. Then added a washer and the "nipple" plug in the middle. Then painted it silver, and then black on that, and sanded it down around the edges...

quick, simple, inexpensive

I got a nice tracking bug available if you are interested :)
Forgot who made it but i think its made of pewter or something like that.

Originally posted by Proximo@Dec 15 2005, 10:29 PM
Oh and that tracking bug, that "Neo" gets in his tummy, That looks pretty cool too, i remember seeing it here somewhere.
I would like some picture of that too if someone have some.

Hope any of my english make sense, Thanks in advance.
"Post recycled tutorials. It's good for the community and okay for you."

Nexus6's Matrix Agent Bug Tutorial

Using info gleaned from the Net, & careful/meticulous measurements taken from screencaps, I drew up this crude diagram (using MSPaint). The picture itself is not to scale, but the numbers are as accurate as I could get.

tmb01_zpssqjpwafd.jpg

My parts consisted of:

3/8" Copper Tube Cap (which measures 9/16" outer diameter)
1/2" Copper Tubing
5/16" Round Brass Stock
18 gauge Floral Stem Wire (not pictured)

bugproj01_zpsx8vmniw0.jpg

Using my initial diagram, I cut the '3/8" Copper Tube Cap' & the '1/2" Copper tubing' to the correct measurements & epoxied them together, to form the "head" of the bug. I cut the '18 gauge Floral Stem Wire' into the following shapes. I don't have any measurements for those, as they must be "eyeballed" to fit correctly into the "head".

bugproj02_zpsysf5n836.jpg

Then I drilled a hole in the into the '1/2" Copper Tubing' to form the "eye", & primed/painted the "head" with 'Rustoleum Aluminum 7715' paint.

(A lot of the wire shapes I used, were done in a way that I felt would give the most strength/stability once the project was finished.)

The 4 outer wires, were installed/superglued in the "head" like so:

wirecfg_zpstlotl36e.jpg

...After that dried, I installed/superglued in the "eye-guard" wire (see pic below).

I thought I had taken a pic of the coiled wire before installation, but I was either mistaken OR it was deleted accidentally. Basically, I had a dowel in the garage, which measured 1/8" in diameter. I wrapped the '18 gauge Floral Stem Wire' around the dowel 7 times, then removed the dowel, & cut the top end of the wire to length illustrated in the initial diagram. On the bottom end of the wire, I made a right-angle, & then twisted it into a small circle, to make a sort of "platform" for stability (then painted with 'Krylon Semi-flat Black #1613'). I think you can get the idea here:

bugproj04_zps4b7nu74r.jpg

bugproj03_zpskh2pvp6l.jpg

Then I stuck a very small piece of aluminum foil to some blue quick-release masking tape & placed it over the "eye" hole. Then I mixed some red food coloring into some casting resin, & filled the "head" of the bug to a level just covering the "eye".

At this point, I took a piece of the '5/16" Round Brass Stock' (see diagram for measurements) & slid it over the coiled wire. Then I squirted some more casting resin (CLEAR this time) into the "head" until it was slightly below the top edge of the "head". Once dry, CAREFULLY remove the masking tape. Now, when a light source shines at the correct angle, the "eye" appears to be illuminated slightly.

Finally, I trimmed the 4 outer wires to the correct length. I hope I haven't forgotten anything...

bugproj05_zpslwtlbl8k.jpg

█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
S Y S T E M_F A I L U R E
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a work in progress... a functional replica! Based on measurements from this forum (thanks Nexus 6) and photos of the actual prop used in the film, that was up for auction recently. Made it from aluminum and brass on my bench-top lathe. Just have to find a way to mill and drill a few more details (the clip is missing in this prototype). Will share the new measurements, process, and wiring in an updated post!. (also.. i have no idea why RPF decided to flip the image)
IMG_1618.JPG

Here's a work in progress... a functional replica! Based on measurements from this forum (thanks Nexus 6) and photos of the actual prop used in the film, that was up for auction recently. Made it from aluminum and brass on my bench-top lathe. Just have to find a way to mill and drill a few more details (the clip is missing in this prototype). Will share the new measurements, process, and wiring in an updated post!. (also.. i have no idea why RPF decided to flip the image)
View attachment 681188
Looking very nice! Good job I'll stay tuned:)

Thanks colerise,

The cigarette case I had in inventory here in my shop. Not sure where I got it or how long ago.
I did need to modify the bottom half to make it thicker to hold the wide base of the bug.

Thanks colerise,

The cigarette case I had in inventory here in my shop. Not sure where I got it or how long ago.
I did need to modify the bottom half to make it thicker to hold the wide base of the bug.

If you ever decide to make any more of the bugs please count me in for one or mybe two! As I think yours is the best I've seen! :)

Love it. I've benn wanting one of these forever. You mention found items. Do you know the make of the pen part ?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back