Matrix Agent "Bug Case"

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SurferGeek, Jan 7, 2006.

1. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Alright, I know that this has had to been hashed out before but I've not been able to find anything on some of the boards or the internet in general.

I have a couple of the bugs and would like to put them in a similar case as was used on the film. Any help?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:confused

2. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

could be based off a few things...

compact, cig case, maybe even a business card holder.

im leaning toward cigar/cig case due to the "lift when opening" that the row of bugs do.

id be interested in finding out if it was a found prop or if it was a custom job for the movie as well...

chris

3. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I need one for my 2 bugs... :p

- Gabe

4. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

either way, it has a custome machined piece which the bugs sit in. I have a feeling it was a FULLY machined piece. I'm pretty sure it would be QUITE easy to replicate.

Its 2 identical Side pieces, the hinge and the bug holder. then when it opens has the pivot swing for the bug holder. Does anyone have access to a CNC machine? I can probably bust out some Cad designs for the case.

5. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Looks kinda like a gutted travel clock.

D6

6. Run Runner

Run Runner Well-Known Member

looks like a PDA hardcase.

7. wtfjedi

wtfjedi New Member

any one make the bugs yet? or know of some good screenies of the bugs?

8. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Clickee. B)

9. SurferGeek

Yup...

[​IMG]

Exposure adjusted...

[​IMG]

10. SurferGeek

It would have to be a very short PDA... ;) The travel clock theory seems more likely.

11. Run Runner

Run Runner Well-Known Member

12. SurferGeek

Just spent about 3 hours looking for aluminum and stainless steel cases, cigarette/compact/credit cards and business cards... Most seemed to open from the sides... No luck. :confused

13. SFPROPS

SFPROPS Well-Known Member

Okay..I think I know what this might be, and it's not a "case" of any sort. Nor a travel clock. It's something no one has mentioned yet if my theory is correct. I believe that the piece was originally "found", it's "insides" removed and a black liner and custom "bug holder" where added.

Let me do some more research and I'll get back to everyone. Maybe we can end up putting together some sort of cheap case kit or something. :)

14. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

Give me the CAD drawings and I will see what I can do.

Check out My Webpageand go to the Blog--you will see what I am talking about.

Clay

15. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

The CAD model for this would be a piece of cake. One of many vying for room on my plate at the moment, but I could do it in 2 hours, if that much.

Clay - maybe I'll include the IGES files for this with the CD-ROM I'm sending you. :)

- Gabe

16. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Double post. :p

17. SFPROPS

[image]http://webpages.charter.net/kknopp/bug1.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://webpages.charter.net/kknopp/bug3.jpg[/image]

ps. Before the wisecracks start, I digitally enhanced my hands to look young, soft and girly..and totally photoshopped out my naked reflection so as not to offend. :)

18. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

almost looks like an older pillbox....

whats the shiny thing your oh so girly photoshopped hands are holding? ;)

chris

19. SurferGeek

Interesting, the ends don't seem to be rounded like the screen used piece. What is it?

20. SFPROPS

Yeah..there are a few subtle differences between the one I have and the one that is screen-used when I started looking more closely. Also, it's not a pillbox or any sort of "case" nor anything else that I've seen mentioned as possibilities.

I've found a slightly different model that still available and that one appears to be an even closer match. I'll keep people posted once I've got more info. :)

21. SFPROPS

Okay...here's what I think it is:

http://www.aceproductsusa.com/frontend/pro...R55&co=10000016

[image]http://www.aceproductsusa.com/images/product/FR55.jpg[/image]

The metal faces surrounding the calendar and the photo are thin chrome metal bezels that pops off. You can then change photographs and the calendar's month. The one linked above has a different hinge than mine and bezel appears to cover a wider area than mine like the movie version would (closer to the sides).

The reason this thing has never been found, IMO, is because people are looking for aluminum clocks, calculators, business card holders and cigarette cases. You aren't going to find a chrome desk calendar/photo holder on the net using the keywords people have been googling for...if this is what it is. And I do think that this is what was used. :) I'm going to assume that as with everything really shiny in movies, it was sprayed down with duller so as to not create havoc with the lights and refelections.

Let me know if anyone has any success finding the right one. I don't have much time to search myself right now. Maybe this will put someone on the right track. :)

22. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Great. :rolleyes Now I need 3 bugs and a case... :)

23. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Any more updates on this?

24. SurferGeek

Well, I've spent the last month or so looking for something similar using your modified version of search phrases... No luck yet. The one that yhou posted doesn't have the correct side profile. Also, it appears from the caps on the first page that the two sides may not be identical further complicating the search. Still looking...

25. SFPROPS

I don't think I posted a side profile of the one linked above did I? I don't think I could find one online - only the front profile. The piece I own and took pictures of is a different brand/design than the one I linked which is likely to be closer to the one used in the movie.

26. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks to a good friend I finally managed to get one of these FR55 photo/calendar frames.

Unfortunately it's a red herring. :lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>(SFPROPS @ Jan 12 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]1156926[/snapback]</div>

27. oldzey

oldzey Sr Member

Not the official case used in the movie, but a nice storage "case" for display.

Got this prop replica from the PSOL - the lettering is a little worn but the bug itself is pristine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  28. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

I was thinking the case looks like something you get at Home Depot that holds drill bits.

29. oldzey

oldzey Sr Member

[​IMG]

This case could hold short drill bits no problem. :thumbsup

30. prototype7

prototype7 Well-Known Member

I thought I remembered this thread being about the pill case that morpheus uses... guess I was wrong.
    Anywho - it's been a little while since I watched the matrix to be honest but I was searching around today for a metal case for another use and came across something that looked familiar to me.

It's a pocket ashtray - the insides would need to be changed but it reminded me of the blue/red pill case. Like I said, it's been a LONG time since I watched this but I figured I'd throw it out there and see how wrong I am! :lol

here's the amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/SILVER-SQUARE...8069?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1190074040&sr=1-20

and pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well... I know this is probably not correct for either item but maybe some more intense searching of tobacco related cases might yeild some results??