Masters of the Air (Band of Brothers sequel)

Nice. I love the back strap, as many crushers didn't have them.
I've seen a bunch of originals over the years but never had one that would fit.
I live the 'pointy eagle' hat insignia. Odd how the official officer hat insignia is the same design they have today, but these private-purchase ones were so different (and common) during WW2.
The neat thing is I have a blue 1950s USAF crusher that was given to me by a gentleman who had been a B-17 co-pilot in the 91st Bomb Group (he later was a P-47 pilot in the Maryland National Guard), which has the pointy eagle in USAF 'silver' color, something I wouldn't have otherwise known ever existed.

As for this Apple TV series; I'm wondering why we haven't seen any manner of teaser trailer yet!
Were the pointy eagles private purchase?
I was under the impression that they were an early war or pre war design, that was replaced later with the more common one. There's even one on the Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band cover art.

I found my crusher at a flea market, of all places, 15 or 20 years ago. I think I paid $100 for it, which I justified by rightly estimating that I'd probably never see another one. I don't think it came with the pointy eagle, because I seem to recall being really excited when I finally found one.

Were the pointy eagles private purchase?
I was under the impression that they were an early war or pre war design, that was replaced later with the more common one. There's even one on the Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band cover art.
I'm not 100% sure on the pointy hat eagles for every detail but yes, they do seem to be private purchase. I know they were made in the US and in the UK. The Brit-made ones are naturally worth more today because they're for sure used in the ETO.
The type of hat eagle in use today was in use in WW2 as well, with the rounded wings. I have an original that's a perfect match for the 1990s one I have on my own service hat from my (Army) active duty days.
But as for the AAF, it seems to have been in vogue especially for the aircrew out of England to have the pointy wing eagles. I wouldn't have dreamed of having anything but a pointy one on this crusher cap. I bought that insignia maybe before some of you were even born, hoping that someday I'll have a proper crusher hat to put onto it.

masters3.jpg
masters1.jpg
masters7.jpg
masters6.jpg
masters5.jpg
masters4.jpg

If I hear that this is as good as Band oF Brothers I might subscribe and watch it. If it's another The Pacific, hard pass.
They were both good, just different. If you went into The Pacific thinking it was going to be another Band of Brothers, I can see that you'd be disappointed. The Pacific dealt more with the psychological effects that the war had on these men. BoB was more about camaraderie and shared experiences, making these guys friends for the rest of their lives.

I dunno. I'm excited for this.

SB

If I hear that this is as good as Band oF Brothers I might subscribe and watch it. If it's another The Pacific, hard pass.

They were both good, just different. If you went into The Pacific thinking it was going to be another Band of Brothers, I can see that you'd be disappointed. The Pacific dealt more with the psychological effects that the war had on these men. BoB was more about camaraderie and shared experiences, making these guys friends for the rest of their lives.

SB
I agree with the comments by StevenBills. The Pacific is a good series but in a different way. I recently finished by 4th rewatching of the Pacific. It really opened me up to the horrors that took place in that theater. In many ways, the war in the Europe and the Pacific were entirely different beasts.

Another factor I think that makes the series feel different is that BOB was an adaptation of the excellent book by Ambrose, whereas the Pacific was put together from memoirs written by Sledge and Leckie with some other individual accounts sprinkled in. It is hard to tell a story that spans across hundred of miles of ocean from one island to the next without it feeling a little disjointed or unconnected. Quite unlike following one small group of guys as they move across Europe.

SB

I agree with the comments by StevenBills. The Pacific is a good series but in a different way. I recently finished by 4th rewatching of the Pacific. It really opened me up to the horrors that took place in that theater. In many ways, the war in the Europe and the Pacific were entirely different beasts.

Another factor I think that makes the series feel different is that BOB was an adaptation of the excellent book by Ambrose, whereas the Pacific was put together from memoirs written by Sledge and Leckie with some other individual accounts sprinkled in. It is hard to tell a story that spans across hundred of miles of ocean from one island to the next without it feeling a little disjointed or unconnected. Quite unlike following one small group of guys as they move across Europe.

I watched The Pacific just this past summer for the first time, and yeah, it was quite different. Not in a bad way, but still very different. I think the narrative issues came into play in terms of the three focal characters, and how they kind of bounced around. One guy's back at home doing recruitment...another guy is in a hospital for an episode...another dude is still waiting to join up, etc., etc. Instead of being with a single unit and following it with various characters showing up and leaving/dying, you had several units that each of these men happened to be in, but also focused on the men specifically and their own experiences there and outside of combat. In that sense, it felt a bit uneven, but I also took that to be kind of representative of the war experience for those men. It wasn't a constant slog thru the warzone with maybe some R&R sequences here or there. It showed how the experience itself could be disjointed.

Very interesting for sure. Lord knows that the odds of these crews making it back home was slim for sure.:(
Since Remembrance Day is around the corner...it's great that the trailer is up this month.(y)(y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back