Master Replicas announces Boba Fett Blaster

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Montagar, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

Master Replicas has announced their Boba Fett Blaster LE

* Authentic weathered finish
    * Machined aluminum and brass parts
    * Diecast metal construction
    * Injection molded plastic components
    * Wooden handles
    * Museum quality display case with mirrored base and acrylic cover
    * Numbered plaque and Certificate of Authenticity

LE $579 edition size tbd

Signature $679 (Jeremy Bulloch) Limited to 1000

Collectors Society On Sale:
    April 11, 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)
    General Public On Sale Date:
    April 13, 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)
    Expected to begin shipping Fall 2006

[​IMG]

2. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I think they should announce these things when they have them in stock and ready to ship....

3. ortiz34

ortiz34 Well-Known Member

FYI
    they also CANCELLED the CE (cheaper un-numbered) version.

4. Montagar

I totally agree, but unfortunately it will never happen, and it's not just MR.

5. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Boooooooooo. Hisssssssssssssssss. :thumbsdown

I might have bought a CE, but I have no interest in an LE or signature. However, I have no dought that MR will sell the full run of this item with out my business.

6. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm surprised they didn't do the ESB, given that they already have the MPP tooling.

7. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

A bit expensive for my tastes. Never been a huge fan of this item, but I know many will like it.

8. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i've been wanting a nice heavy metal ee-3, and since a real webley costs WAY more than this, i may well have to get in on this one.

9. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hmmm...is it time for me to part with my Webley Flare guns?

10. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

HECK NO.. I'd take a built up Webley over ANY MR version. I wouldn't even trade my HS Webley with all original parts for an MR version.....Just my personal opinion though as I'll assume the MR will be stellar. But like my Real Sterling E11 I'd take it over an MR....

I too would have thought the ESB would be the weapon of choice. I bet they don't know what those scope blocks are from either ;)

Steve

11. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

I am hoping that they will have a prototype that I can check out on the 11th for the MR council meeting. I think it is going to be pretty sweet, but it is really quite expensive.

12. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Wow, the price is a little disappointing and even more disappointing is doing away with the CE version for a more expensive SE version. :(

Myself I was going for the CE, cash is tight this year and I'm going to have really watch what I buy. I realize that this will be a large piece but $579 seems a bit much and $679 is way outside the budget.

Jim

13. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Yeah WAAAAAY too expensive. It's not that much bigger than the E11 and it wasn't that expensive.

14. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Sr Member

Yup, was actually considering this but $579 is just too much for my tastes. It's a nice piece but it's not that high on my list.

15. wampa ems

wampa ems New Member

The ESB version is way cooler looking.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

It looks great, but there's no way I'm ordering direct again. I got my stormtrooper blaster for $400, and now I see it going for less than half that now.

17. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

There are some details on this version that have NOT been seen before. Stay tuned...

Todd

18. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like to see how MR reacts to these comments. I bet it's not what they were hoping for. Ompare these posts to the posts about the Fett helmet. Wrong move to cancel to the CE. There's no way i'm paying that much for this thing.

19. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Edition size was wrong, its now 1000. Would have prefered the ESB version when Boba was cool :)

20. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hm, they do it again and again and again....
    Waaaaay overpriced.
    Don't know why they do this after all that complaints about the damaged products in the last time.
    They should give something back to earn customers trust again. Instead they don't stop to announce products with nearly ridiculous prices...
    579 for a Boba Fett Blaster ?? Even only the ROTJ-Version ??
    Sorry that is not my world anymore...
    I can't imagine that these will sell well, but maybe it's just me and i am wrong.

21. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

I would buy an ESB. But not an ROTJ. :(

22. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hell, you can get a Jeremy Bulloch autograph put on it in person for $ 20 bucks... Why pay all that much for a signed edition then? Jeremy is at almost every show I go to.

23. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

What are you basing your statement on?
    Go and price everything you would need for a Fett blaster with the build materials MR is talking about...

It always amazes me when terms like "ridiculous pricing" are used without ANY factual info to back it up. Like when someone wrote over on Rebelscum "I think the MR AT-AT should be in the same price bracket as the lightsabers". :confused

Props are EXPENSIVE. That's the bottom line.
    They are not action figures, or collector plates.
    When a Han blaster can sell for $400+ (fan made or MR) well, for the work involved in a Fett blaster, $579 is a great price. Especially considering a single custom display case for something that large would probably run you $100 bucks just by itself.

24. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Lukes Roommate - here's how I judge pricing. First, this isn't one guy making this from parts in his basement. This is overseas mass production = lower cost. And the other way I judge pricing on these is when I see so many props drop in price both by MR themselves and on eBay, etc. When you can pick up a Han Blaster for $100 - $200 less than it went for initially I'd say it's overpriced. Remember how MR has discounted items basically in half before? Now granted they might be taking some loss then, but I'd say if you can sell at half off you must have a bit of a mark up in there.

25. Lukes Roommate

I understand that point of view. However, the basement prop guy would still charge a hell of a lot more than $500 bucks for a Fett blaster (with case etc.). Plus he doesn't have to pay the licensing fees to LFL (or have access to the archives), nor does he have the overhead of a large company full of employees. Or have to worry about overseas production and mass QC.
    Those are realities that are rarely taken into account when people slam their pricing.
    I don't personally remember when a Fett blaster was widely available as a finished run on the RPF...

MR is a business and their purpose is to make money (an obvious fact), that they have to drop prices is a reality that affects the whole retail sector. How many times have you bought something from Home Depot etc. only to see it on sale the next week for way less? Why should MR be any different from any other business?

26. Montagar

From a price stand point this will be an interesting product to watch. I say that because this is the first product that the LE version is available only directly through MR, but the SE version is available through resellers.

This all could create a situation where the higher priced SE version might end up selling in the reseller/aftermarket for less than the lower priced LE.

It would have been even more interesting if the CE version had not been "postponed".

27. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

At that price, they can keep it. :thumbsdown

What's the deal with overpriced plastic guns costing almost as much as the real things? Sure it's got SOME metal in it - but at that price point, it better be all metal and able to be stripped apart.

28. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

I would guess that they choose the ROTJ 'cos the ESB looks a bit too much like a parts bin special.
    I actually now prefer the ESB myself, but used to hate it and like the ROTJ. :wacko

SAS

29. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I imagine this will be similar to the Stormtrooper Blaster, i.e. metal gun with some plastic details.

30. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Yikes . . .
    That's frinckin' pricey.

31. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

not suprizing everything is over priced now a days :(

32. Lukes Roommate

Apparently my thoughts fell on deaf ears.

33. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I would say they went RotJ because it was there to be scanned. They had direct access to a screen used gun where with the ESB... has ANYONE seen that blaster since filming?

34. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

No - it's relative (like the theory of relativity). My view of ridiculous pricing may be completely different from yours.

Unlike most people here who can seemingly drop insane money on "replica" props, I don't have that much disposable income to drop on this when I have a perfectly good resin copy that I paid much less for.

I may have considered a lower-priced model, but even then, it's a STATIC gun that does nothing but look good.

So to me, unless it * and can be broken down like military replica guns, it's ridiculous for ME to spend that kind of money for looks.

35. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

OR, people just don't agree with you. It happens. ;)

From my point of view, gathering the parts yourself, and building one yourself is what this hobby is all about. In that case you may spend $1200, but you're doing it $50 here, $100 there, so on and so forth, and over time you stock what you need. It's a more managable way to get the prop you want, and to be able to spend that kind of money on a prop. So, your point really doesn't hold much water.

Not to mention, if you pay Bob the basement prop guy $400 for a prop, this is somehtihng he made with his own hands, and for the love of doing it. That really means a lot to some people. For example, I'd give Richard Coyle $400 over MR any day.

Dropping $600 on anything is for most people EXPENSIVE. Whatever the item is. And the other point of MR items depreciating quickly is also VERY valid, and the company needs to start recognizing that - for example - people can pick up one of their motion trackers for about $100 now, and that debuted at $500 not very long ago.

While I love the work MR does, I do think it's over priced. So I don't buy it. Doesn't mean I don't like it a whole lot though.

36. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Sr Member

Also worth considering is that to most people this is a prop, not the holy grail. Most people, including me, would be satisfied with a solid hunk of resin weathered with paint and good enough to look good. To me a 100% accurate piece made from all original pieces isn't worth much more than that painted resin that looks good, I could paint myself, and I could get for significantly less.

The argument that "they are there to make money" does not even remotely translate to "they are not overpriced. " Plenty of companies that are for profit over-price. I'd say more for profits overprice than hobby artists or not-for-profit companies. Now if you had argued that as a for profit they price to what they think the market will pay, that's a different story. That's the American Way and thus far the market has always paid what they asked... Honestly, what each item gets on the secondary market isn't their concern.

37. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could not say it better :)
    Handcrafted items mean much more to me and they are most of the time even less expensive. These items are pieces of art and have been made with heart and much sweat.
    MR products are mass-produced which isn't bad either but not for these prices (my opinion).

I can justify some prices but some clearly not. The price of the SS AT-AT (1200$) is in my eyes absolutly alright. You can't make yourself one for that price (think of all the parts, materials, built-up and development in that thing). The price is unbeatable.
    On the other hand you have the Y-Wing... nearly the complete research has been done by Steve Neisen (because MR bought his kit). The model has not so much more mass than the Snowspeeder, has NO displaycase but costs 250$ more. The super-complex AT-AT was only 400$ more, wtf ?

38. Lukes Roommate

How so? How many people here made their own Han hero blasters as opposed to buying one of Boba Debt's excellent build-ups?
    The number of collectors here as opposed to builders is probably pretty close to even. So my point is still valid.
    Kits are offered here, as are full build ups. Sure the kit's save you coin, but they aren't always that cheap depending on the project.

I'm not saying people should say "This is the prop for me", nor am I disparaging anyone who can't afford it (I can't right now ;) )
    The discussion of price too often comes down to people confusing what a good price is because THEY can/can't afford it, and what a good price is based on market value/quality level.

Saying a Porsche should cost the same as a Cavalier because they are both cars and do the same thing is pretty silly when you break down the facts.

MR's site says the motion tracker is $250, I don't remember it starting at $500 (not slamming you, just curious as to MR's own drop in price).

39. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to how badly people want this item.

I don't really want it, therefore $579 is too much. I could afford it if I really wanted it, but I don't.

A cheaper CE might have tempted me as an impulse buy, but $579 is not an impulse price point.

It may be a reasonable price given the cost of producing it, I don't know. But for me, it's still more than I'd want to pay for this item. Also, given MR's recent QC issues, it's a big leap of faith for that $$.

40. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

in my opinion, the distinction here is "more than i want to pay" vs "charging more than the item is worth".

my fan-made rotj ee3 was nearly $400, which is not all that much of a stretch compared to their pricing.

every time i've tried to get my hands on one of those infamous HS bronze webleys, i've been knocked out at around $500. and that's just for the gun, nevermind the scope, greeblies, etc... i could easily see myself spending over $1000 on building one up myself.

so i think the price is reasonable, given the (theoretical) materials being used. this is assuming that it's build like the e-11: mostly metal. a demilled sterling would cost just about as much as the mr gun

now, on the note of "would i pay $600 for a fett gun", it will really come down to what it looks like in person. if it's built like the stormie gun, then yeah, i probably will.

41. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

MR originally sold the Motion Tracker for I think $399 possibly $349 (I paid the higher price) later they lowered it to $250 which left a real bad taste in my mouth.

They also lowered prices after initial sales on the Predator Spear, Rebel Blaster, Stormtrooper Blaster, Klingon Disruptor, and maybe a few others in there.

I’m sure this did not sit well with more than a few people as it leaves you with the feeling of “why was this not the price to start with?”.

Jim

42. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

And now they go for $150 on ebay, brand new, never opened.

Best bet is to wait for it to hit the secondary market. Almost every MR piece (save for a few lightsabers and the Han ANH blaster) have sold for almost 1/4 of their original price on the secondary market. Sure, you won't be the first kid on the block to have one, but you'll probably pay the lowest price.

-Fred

43. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Again, it's not just if this is really worth this kind of money. The real question is will enough collectors will pay it? I won't and I see quite a few here and on the Rebel Scum forums that feel the same way.

44. Lukes Roommate

That's the point of the open ended edition sizing, isn't it?
    They set a price, sell 'em, then once things slow to a crawl they lop off the production number.

Anyways, time will tell if it sells or not. I'm not going to predict whether it will or won't. However, I remember a whole LOT of grousing over the AT-AT pricing over at Rebelscum and it sold.

45. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

Amy (MRCUSTOMERCARE) announced at Rebelscum this afternoon that a CE version will be offered at some point in the future. There is no definite date.
    Just FYI for those who are wanting a cheaper alternative.

46. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

I am working on a machined webley for conversion into either style. I find the MR prices to be frankly a little low for what they could get. Ironically if I had the money I would buy it because I love MRs stuff anyway...idealized, cleaned up, or not...its very good quality stuff.

Compare those prices to the Stormtrooper blaster. Which went for circa 1000

While I do believe in the democratization of collectibles, I also believe that people need to think through their sticker shock. My father, once a painter, recalled going to an art show and seeing a 5000 dollar painting. He said he was "shocked" ....but then he realized as a painter the time/money invested in these types of paintings...he reasoned about 4 weeks. Well, if you figure a quality artist is not a standard profession, but rather skilled, and if figure the painting took about 3-4 weeks to finish and if you figure "5000 a month" is only 60K a year.....its really not that much for most professional jobs. Sure its a lot to shell out at once...but the artist is charging what that time/money was worth.

I mean, you arent buying milk, eggs, and bread.

47. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I also keep thinking that you don't see a lot of Webley's not to mention good BF rifle replicas. So I'm still not sure.

48. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Voice of dissent here...

I really hate the ESB look with what to me appears to be open-ended plumbing pipe (I KNOW what it really is) sticking out the barrel.

I've always thought the ROTJ version was a meaner, badder looking gun, that fits the gunslinger/man-with-no-name motif much better...

And had I not already scratch-built my own, I'd be tempted to drop $500-$600 for this...

OK, let the floggin begin...

49. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

This one...

50. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Ditto on that one. :rolleyes