Mass Effect M-77 Paladin/Carnifex Pistol build

CLOTHAR

I am a big Mass Effect fan, and have some friends who are as well. For Calgary Comic Expo (CCEE) this year I have some friends who want to go as Shepard and Miranda. They asked me if I could build pistols for them for the show. We decided on the Paladin/Carnifex.

I decided to do a foam build on this one, as I knew I was going to be moving, and wouldn't have reliable shop access for a wood working project.

I started with a line drawing of the pistol. I found a nice render of the pistol on DeviantArt (Troodon80). I traced main lines and used that drawing as my template. I also followed the PunishedProps tutorial as I went along. Bill did a really nice build of the same pistol a few years ago, and his tutorial has been a great resource.

I used craft foam sheets (about 1/4 inch thick) and laminated several pieces together to form the core of the pistol. I included different patterns on different layers to get the 3D details. The foam was laminated using a non toxic contact cement.

Then I started to carve some of the main curves using a knife. It is important not to cut too much off, because it is harder to add bulk back on.

On the outer layers, I added many more details, mostly with an exacto knife. I also used some detail files, and a plain old pen body for making nice holes. I also used files and sand paper to continue smoothing out the rough cut areas.

I continued on from there by adding further details with craft foam, and wood. I also used drywall putty to fill areas that needed attention.

I have about a month left to go. I am almost ready to prep it for molding. Then casting. Then painting. Let me know what you think.

I was able to finish up the master, mold it, and cast replicas for my friend; all in time for CCEE 2015.

I finished up the master build, and primed it.

Then I built a mold box and added clay.

Then it was on to molding. I used OOMOO 30 from Smooth-on.

The mold turned out great!

The first pull turned out really well! I made a second one afterwards.

After a few days of painting I had a complete M-77 Paladin, and a M-6 Carnifex!

And here is Commander Shepard with the finished piece. All in all I am very pleased with how they turned out. Now to find some time to make a few more!

Very nice work ! Your thread inspire me

Someday I want to build the Falcon. I'm a big fan of it.

ME3_Falcon_Assault_Rifle.png

but before I have to finish my armor and my helmet...

Beautifully done! The carnifex was my weapon of choice throughout the game and your is on point. Your uniform is cool too, did you make it or have it made?

Thanks Raphaella! I always liked the look of the falcon as well. Best of luck with your build.

Very nice work ! Your thread inspire me

Someday I want to build the Falcon. I'm a big fan of it.

View attachment 472865

but before I have to finish my armor and my helmet...

Thanks Kamon! That is actually my friend all dressed up. I believe he got his gear online.

Beautifully done! The carnifex was my weapon of choice throughout the game and your is on point. Your uniform is cool too, did you make it or have it made?

Last edited:
Thats pretty impressive!

I think you can get some extra detail and smoothness in there if you clean
up the master build a bit more. Some filler and a lot of sanding can smooth out those inconsistencies in the handle parts.

Shiny - yeah, there are a few blemishes that I would have liked to clean up, but unfortunately was unable to do so with my deadlines. Things to keep in mind for my next build!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back