Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

You know this for a fact? Marvel is fairly famous for their crossovers. Hell most of their entire universe stems from crossovers of some sort. X-Men started in Spiderman as well as many other examples I can't think of off the top of my head.

Marvel-Characters-Movie-Studio-Ownership-570x456.jpg

Old pic, but still valid EXCEPT Sony has apparently made "a deal" with Marvel Studios to use Spider Man in Civil War. Also, they just announced (yesterday) 3 more spidey films in the MCU, but still Sony produced, I think. Very much breaking news.

I think I read that Marvel approached Fox about a *tiny* crossover -- like just "mentioning* each other's franchise's characters etc (just words, no actors or images of anything) -- but fox shot it down.

Thats why MCU uses vibranium as its go to magic metal, but xmen uses adantium as its magic metal. All about who owns what, and the the dump trucks full of cash MCU and Fox want from these properties...

Well doesn't Disney own all of them? They seem to own everything else anymore. My whole childhood is owned by Disney now-a-days. Muppets, Marvel, Star Wars... what don't they own... wait... there's still Looney Tunes owned by WB, and Star Trek owned by Universal... but how much longer do you think it will be before Disney owns all of them?

Marvel sold the movie rights to a lot of their properties close to 20 years ago (long before they'd started making their own movies or Disney bought them), and Fox churns out X-Men movies just often enough to retain the rights per the contract. Amazing Spider-Man was made partially just to keep the rights, and the new Fantastic Four film is being made partially for the same reason. The only reason Spider-Man is going to be able to appear in the MCU is because Disney and Sony cut a deal that amends the film rights Sony still owns. None of the contracts have been public (so far as I'm aware) so there's no telling when Disney would actually get the rights back. Most likely Fox and Sony would have to stop making films they have the rights to for some number of years (like how Disney got back the film rights to Daredevil).

Gonzalez made a reasonable offer, that sounded a whole lot like "We want the intel on the people so that if one snaps we can help take them down." There's precedent for that already in Bahrain. The Inhuman cat is out of the bag already, no way forward that didn't mean one side or the other picking a fight I guess. If this were Trek they'd have negotiated around the table for another episode though :lol

No, he made an entirely one-sided offer, he walked in and said "we're S.H.I.E.L.D. and this is what we're going to do". There was no negotiation, it was Gonzalez laying out the law and acting like nobody had a choice in the matter. And, if Rayna's vision is to be believed, they're going to get blown to crap by S.H.I.E.L.D. forces because they wouldn't blindly go along with the plan. If someone came along and told you that they were going to take all the information they could get on your family so that if they ever thought anyone was out of hand, they could kill them, I don't think you'd react any differently.

I think the offer was indeed reasonable, but worded quite poorly. Coulson should have gone with his first instinct and handled the negotiations himself, but relented. Gonzales went instead, and that's like trying to pound in a picture hanger nail with a 20 pound sledge hammer. If you manage to maintain enough control to actually hit the target, you're still gonna do collateral damage. Of course, things were going to go to hell anyway because in Rayna's vision, everything went south because Jiyiang was the Inhuman representative. If she had simply suggested someone other that Jiyiang handle the negotiations (like Gordon) instead of herself, things might have gone smoother. You would have taken two dangerous people out of the equation (Jiyiang and Cal) and the meeting would have gone much better. Ideally, it should have been Coulson and Gordon breaking bread, but things are never ideal in a Mutant Enemy production.

A couple of odds and ends:

(mild Avengers Age of Ultron spoiler below)

- Goodbye Mac? That was an awkward scene between him and Coulson. Where is the show going with that, if anywhere?

- Sam and Billy Koenig, with "I'm a Robot" playing in the background. [edit: and he picked robot socks to wear]. AoS, you're such a tease!

- Lanyards! And they're already appearing for sale in related FB groups.

- Ward and Agent 33 - punching tickets for another ride on the crazy train. Looks like the contrite Ward vs. evil Ward debate has decidedly tilted to evil Ward. But what's his endgame?

- Again, some great Cal by Kyle Maclachlan. I have really come around to enjoying him in this role.

- Treadwell, I like your idea of the helicarrier would have been better one episode earlier. It would have been a really cool moment for the show itself, and also perhaps put the question "what IS Coulson doing?" in viewers' minds. It also would have made the helicarrier's reveal in Age of Ultron less slapstick... Nick Fury might as well have jumped out of a birthday cake while shouting "Whasssup!" when it appeared in the film.

Last edited:
Ok so the one question I have that I have not seen answered yet...what was that stuff in the hold? Is that supposed to be the ether from the Thor movie or something else that we will find out about later?

Laters,
Jeff

So, my mom takes fish oil pills. As soon as that last scene was over, I hear yelled from her bedroom "I'm not taking my fish oil pills anymore!"

It really was a fantastic ending for season two!

I wonder if Coulson will have anything done with his arm? Surely Nick Fury can hook a brother up with that machine used in AoU, right?

Poor Jemma :(

So what do you think the final verdict is gonna be for Coulson's hand?

Cloned replacement?

Rubber prosthesis?

Crude bionics?

Deathlok-tech?

Stark-tech?

Hook? (Personally, I'm rooting for this one a little bit...)

Surely they can hook Coulson up with some of that AoU tech they used fixing up Hawkeye.

Much as I like the show post-Winter Soldier that last scene was coming a mile away. Damned Whedon family is too predictable with this crap.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back