Marty Moose mugs! "Christmas Vacation"

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Am I the only one who thinks these would be the coolest set of props to have?

Rylo

There are no "official" mugs but a few people make so-so replicas that go for top dollar.

Loved the movie...gotta have the mugs.

"Moose out front should've told ya..."

Yup.....I'd love a set....or even just one. How's your glasswork skills Rylo? :p

Love that flick...."Merry Christmas.....Sh.tter's full."

I'm Sadly lacking in the glasswork department... :(

"Have you checked our Shi*ters, honey?"

There's a company out of Canada that doesn't do much for me. The ears are HUGE and the detail is off.

But, there seems to be a couple other people getting closer. Close enough to motivate me;-)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rylo @ Apr 28 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1235116[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

I don;'t think that matters...

I don't believe the add-ons were glass.

If I recall correctly, the ears and nose were a tad bit less transparent (almost "frosted"). I remember them being distinctly different in transparency from the glass itself.

Which makes me wonder (deduce) they were cast in clear resin or some other clear plastic, and stuck on an existing mug.

Just commission a sculptor, cast them in clear resin, stick 'em on the right mug, and voila.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Apr 29 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]1235735[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rylo @ Apr 28 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1235116[/snapback]

[/b]

I don;'t think that matters...

I don't believe the add-ons were glass.

If I recall correctly, the ears and nose were a tad bit less transparent (almost "frosted"). I remember them being distinctly different in transparency from the glass itself.

Which makes me wonder (deduce) they were cast in clear resin or some other clear plastic, and stuck on an existing mug.

Just commission a sculptor, cast them in clear resin, stick 'em on the right mug, and voila.
[/b][/quote]

Does anyone have any screencaps that might show this "frosted" effect? Google's not turning up anything promising.

Bruce

Caps...

And more caps...

These caps are sized at 100% off the screen cap. So increasing them would decrease resolution.

Anyway, you can see how they don't appear to be crystal clear.

I wonder if the main vessel was just a plastic brany "glass" like you'd get at a party supply store? If a plastic "glass" was used as a base, it'd be that much easier to attacth clear resin add-ons.

I can see where this prop/replica introduces the "idealized" versus "on set" version concept. It'd be great to have an all-glass version made, but that would greatly increase the difficulty (and cost), and I highly doubt the items used on set were all glass...

Thoughts...?

That looks like frosted acrylic to me...

The shapes for the horns don't look like they'd be too difficult to have cut out. They appear pretty flat, not much height to them, with rounded edges.

That's a big honkin' nose. :lol

Bruce

It does look like some type of plastic to me . Also if it was glass it looks to me as if the snout of marty the moose would make the glass top heavy and tip over.

That looks like a lot of weight to be lifting up by just an antler that was only glued on. I wouldn't trust the weight of crystal and eggnog to be held up by a tiny spot of glue. How thick do those antlers look to be? 1/8" to 1/4" tops? And look at the connection point, maybe a 1/2" high at best. I can't see that tiny bit of glue holding all that weight for any amount of time.

My personal feeling, one off, custom cast lead crystal glass or clear acrylic - all cast in one piece.

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back