Marto Sword of the Dragon Duncan Highlander Katana Repair

Avolow

Hey everyone,

Been a long time since I've been on and even longer since I posted, but I recently had to do something and thought what I found would be of use to those here. Some time ago when I was on here last I followed some of the threads on the Highlander swords, and on the Sword of the Dragon Duncan katana specifically. As I remember, there would from time to time pop up a thread asking how to get the thing apart, but it always was consensus that there was no way to get it apart without busting/ruining the dragon head to get to the bolt.

Recently I came across a Katana/Wakizashi set for $40.00, so I pulled the trigger and brought them home. Neither was in the greatest shape. Someone had done a little cutting with the katana and it had a couple small nicks in the blade and a small chip in the bottom of the jaw. The wakizashi blade was perfect, but had a large chunk of the nose missing. The katana I was able to remove most of the blade damage with a whetstone and a few minutes. I already had one of these in perfect condition, so I really didn't need it. I wanted the wakizashi, but with it being damaged, what was the point? Remembering back when people weren't having much luck getting these apart without busting up the one part I needed to keep, I started looking around at what I could do to release the epoxy. Acetone might damage the handle material, nail polish remover might do the same thing, Goof off was a option, but again it might have negative effects on the handle plus I would have to soak it in the stuff with no guarantee that it would get in far enough to release all of the epoxy.

Looking online, I found that boiling epoxy will release it.

Boiling? Yep. (Not my video)

Having a different handle from another broken Duncan sword from years ago I thought I would see what would happen. I attached it to a piece of 2x4 so it would just be suspended in the water and not touch the bottom, brought the pot of water up to about 200 degrees F, and dropped it in for about ten minutes. The remnants of the epoxy just came right off when I pulled it out and brushed at it with a butter knife.

Success? I thought so, so I got the wakizashi attached to the board and took it for a dip. I figured 15 minutes and I would give it a try.

To keep it upright I used duct tape to steady it against my range hood.

When I pulled it out, I used a towel (so I didn't burn myself) to try and pull the head off. While I was pulling on the head I could feel the nose flex back and forth as the heat softened the handle plastic, so I was careful with that, and just gripped it above the eyes. I could see the handle come out of the separation callar and it looked like it was working. Well, I pulled a little to hard and the head tore on the other side since the epoxy hadn't all released yet. Yep, tore the neck up pretty bad on the head. At least it was the one with the broken nose to begin with.

I was bummed, but figured I would try again with the katana. This time I would leave it in for 20 minutes.

YES! It came off without breaking. I laid it on the counter as you see and gripped it with the towel again, making sure to not cover the collar area so I could see the plastic move on the top and the edge closest to me while I tried wiggling the head. When I could see it moving I flip it over and wiggled it again. All the plastic seemed to be moving freely and no part of it seemed to not move so I carefully started pulling while I slightly wiggled and it popped right off with no damage. :D

The jagged edges in the last pic above are just loose epoxy.

Boiling the handle also had zero effect on the finish and the handle hardened right back up once it cooled. At the very least any of the chemical options would have removed the finish if they had worked at all without other damage to the plastic.

After it came off I used a small screwdriver and dug at the epoxy in the head cavity (while taking care not to pry against the edges of the neck) and the collar. It all just pealed out with no fight while it was still hot. It did get harder to remove though as it cooled back down.

The head now is ready for me to attach to the wakizashi.

Currently it is just setting on it without glue since I want to try and fix the chip in the chin before I permanently re-attach it, but that is another days project. :)

(Anyone know how to color match this with some resin or epoxy I can carve?)

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

Avolow.

Last edited:
2 years ago or so, I found a 1994 duncan katana, the head was broken like yours, some parts were missing, maybe repaired 2 or 3 times by seller.
I glued the original pommel, filled with dentax wax, carved, then cast, made a shoot from PU resin and patinated it, don't remember what I used, maybe japanese brush pen, or chinese ink.

IMG_6189.jpg

chi

Last edited:
That looks great! I may have to give that a try. I want to try and repair the other sword using parts of the head I have and parts from another full (but broke) hilt from my first Highlander sword that broke back when it first came out.

How hard was it to match the overall resin color when you inked it?

Avolow.

inking was quite easy, resin colo matching was much harder.
In the end, simple PU resin, ivory-white color, sold here as "84 A-B" is ok, as the color will darken with time.
You can also remove the ink on marto handle, and make a new weathering on both parts, easier to match, you can also use something else than black color, to bring different style.
But I would more suggest you to mount the handle on a better blade than original marto blade, you can buy a folded steel clay tempered chinese blade on ebay, grind the tang, and put your handle on it., would make a nice upgrade.

I have been thinking about that. I've bought a few of the Chinese forged blades for other projects in the past. Been thinking about getting a few of the colored blades (blue,red) to mount in lightsaber hilts. :) Haven't tried resin casting in years. I'll have to see about getting some supplies and giving it a whirl again.

I can cast just head from my mold, or even better the new design I made. I have handle here for color match.
Then you remove the black ink on your handle, and make ink color match.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back