Mando tracker. Might have found it.

Yea, this is a repeat discussion on some of the facebook groups, but people need to research this because there's functionally no way they actually used these for the actual props due to the fact these things are solid, brittle bricks of material that are meant to get worn away in a motor. While the overall prop design is uncanny, the props themselves very likely were scratch built and inspired by the motor brush

thank you... its like beating your head up against a wall

Wow. Prop research is beating your head against a wall? Maybe you missed the word MIGHT BE in my heading. This is what the RPF is all about. You post leads, look, research, repeat. No need to State what people “need” to do. As far as saying there is NO WAY these were used, maybe not but again this is what we do...or at least what I’ve done for the last 10 years and I’ve got plenty of prop parts first finds.

This one seems quite well researched and accurate;

Wow. Prop research is beating your head against a wall? Maybe you missed the word MIGHT BE in my heading. This is what the RPF is all about. You post leads, look, research, repeat. No need to State what people “need” to do. As far as saying there is NO WAY these were used, maybe not but again this is what we do...or at least what I’ve done for the last 10 years and I’ve got plenty of prop parts first finds.

Take it easy buddy, I’m very sarcastic, I support your belief that this was probably their base idea

Who knows if it is the base idea. That’s not the point and I never stated that was my belief.
I started this post in an effort to engage the community to research and exhaust the possibilities (as we’ve been doing for as long as I’ve been coming here) that an item like this could be connected to the actual tracker. Your “banging your head” cheerleader comment seemed to say to me that since a few people don’t think the real world part could possibly be the part used that everyone should drop it. Thats counter to how most discoveries get made. It’s a series of starts and stops. Intent and accident. That’s what caused me to respond to you. As far as me relaxing, I’m totally relaxed. If you still feel the urge to start “banging your head” because a few folks continue to think an actual carbon piece was used for the basis of the prop I want you to breathe deep and remember to “take it easy” :)

Dude me banging my head up against the wall is a daily basis lol

I wonder if they took one of these bigger ones and used it as a mold?

I still tend to think they used it as a concept and 3d modeled it

Matt has shared a lot of his work with lucasfilm and he starts off with real world items, models them and tweaks them

I am so curious if matt is working on the mando..

The one I posted is designed to be riveted in place, which is why there is a brass grommet thru hole. Quite easy to slip a 5mm LED into place.

Granted, if they used a motor brush, it was probably a resin cast, with an added LED, board and battery.

im goinging the 3d print route, using the model i liked above. Got 1/8" threaded cable last night and it fits perfectly.

84668994_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.cdninstagram.jpg

I've made some screen caps of the tracker. You can see the detail may be a little different on each of the trackers, but I'll draw something up tonight.

Annotation-2019-12-02-102321A.jpg

Attachments

• Annotation-2019-12-02-0950302.jpg
    Annotation-2019-12-02-0950302.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Annotation-2019-12-02-0951032.jpg
    Annotation-2019-12-02-0951032.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Looks great! Where'd you get your scale from though? My (admittedly crude) measurements came out a bit smaller. I mainly used the shot with the credits for reference, with the credit bar as 52mm.

The only reference ive found for the back is from the Hot Toys Mandalorian figure, however it ma actually be a concept front, hard to tell.

37778491-4947-4949-A543-EE16018E3380.jpeg

Last edited:
The 1/8 galvanized steel rope from Ace works great. I soaked these in vinegar/salt/hydrogen peroxide and baked in the oven to get a nice layer of rust and cleaned some away.

Attachments

• C2AEC406-1BFF-44BD-9670-BF379892B004.jpeg
    C2AEC406-1BFF-44BD-9670-BF379892B004.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 244
First draft with what I can see of the tracker at this stage.

I did a rough block shape based off of your measurements:

VMYv6Uk.jpg

My Measurements:

Fc0CS2G.jpg

And reference image:

annotation-2019-12-02-0951032-jpg.jpg

To my eye, mine looks way too small, and yours looks a bit big. But maybe Pedro Pascal has a bigger hand than I do.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back