Making Oogie Boogie costume. Suggestions to make it Glow -n- the dark?

xspungerx

Hello all! I'm new to posting threads and asking for help ... :)
I've made numerous costumes, but haven't really had luck with glow in the dark costumes.

This year, I'm making Oogie Boogie for my friend. I've made one before, but I would really like it to glow in the dark like he did in the cartoon.
I tried painting the burlap with glow in the dark paint, but it turned inconsistent and too costly.

Since I'm remaking the costume, I want it to be perfect!
What is the best method.... spray paint? and the best medium? ....
I'll post progress pictures along the build.

Thank you so much for your help!
Wendy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 1.42.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 1.42.07 PM.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 4,552
I would use regular glow in the dark craft paint and add textile medium to it at a 1:1 ratio. Cut out your pieces and lay them flat on a plastic drop cloth and paint them with a sponge applicator. Then sew it together after they dry. The textile medium will lighten the paint and make it more flexible. Test it out first and if it's too heavy or stiff, just thin it out.

Apparently glow-in-the-dark fabric is a thing, but I imagine it might be prohibitively expensive! This site talks about soaking your fabric in a mix of water and glow-in-the-dark powder, allowing the powder to permeate the fabric. I don't know how well this would hold up, or how expensive it would be, but it's interesting.
http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/glow-in-the-dark-material.aspx

Depending on the details of the above method, though, you may be stuck with painting. :(

Thanks for the tips!
Here are the results. Turned out pretty well

Sorry but I'd like to know what method did you end up using? Powder, some other paint, something else entirely? I see you said you went w/the paint but it was too expensive.

The mask looks great BTW. Have you made the full costume as well yet? Your friend is gonna be STOKED. The glow photo looks like something out of the movie itself. Great work.

Thanks Dozer3677 -
I ended up using Glowz spray paint by Krylon. What intrigued me is that the can says the paint recharges in light. It's true! I used a black light and after turning off the light, the costume still glowed.
The textile medium and glow paint ratio works, but didn't hold a charge. There are pros and cons to that method, in my opinion. Con - When you paint the burlap it gives it a different color look to the fabric, and also a heavier textile look. Pro - the heavier textile look is like lining the burlap; it's no longer see-through.
Due to my friends budget, it needs a few more cans of spray paint to make it not look so splotchy. But, he is pleased overall !!
A group of my friends are dressing up as Villains for Disney's Halloween Event.

IMG_8221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap! That's just incredible! Funny thing is I just watched this maybe an hour ago. You think if you painted it in the dark, under a black light, you'd be able to cover the splotches better?

When I'd spray paint, it was under the black light. It seemed the burlap absorbed the paint sporadically. What's even stranger, is that if the burlap touched each other when wet, the paint disappeared completely, leaving a bald spot. Already used four cans.... It is what it is, plus the client is happy. That's what's important :)

Does it glow in just the dark alone without the black light?
Looking for a glow in the dark paint method for my halloween costume and I'm unsure of the best way to go about it. I could do with it glowing without the use of a black light.

Yours looks amazing!

Thanks!
The Glowz spray paint by Krylon holds a little charge, but doesn't glow all the time without some sort of black light. I would be interested if you find paint that glows without the use of a black light. Let me know what you find! :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back