Major Empire Spoiler Actually Dropped in 1977

Having Vader become Luke's father isn't a ground breaking plot ploy by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the day ESB hit the theaters, I was there as a 15 year old and when Vader spoke those words, I remember thinking "You've got to be kidding me". I was seriously let down. It was cheap.

I wonder how many other actors swapped even if just for a day (outside of Troopers)?

I read somewhere that Peter Mayhew was sick for a couple days on ESB. They had a replacement actor play Chewie on those days. Ended up scrapping that idea because he had such a distinctive walk, body language, etc. They had to refilm everything they shot.:lol

I lived in Orlando when Empire came out. I was 13. I was so excited to see this, we had the next day (Saturday) planned to go see it! Then the local newspaper plasters it on the front of the entertainment section: (something like) "Darth Vader is Luke's dad?!"
Yeah, my mom made it worse when she came into my room Saturday monrning and went, "Hey, have you seen this?"
"REALLY?! HOW COULD I HAVE SEEN IT? YOU WAKE UP BEFORE ME!YOU READ THE PAPER IN THE MORNING, I DON'T! AND WHY IN THE NAME OF HEAVEN WOULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK I WOULD WANT TO KNOW THIS BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE TONIGHT???!!!"
Actually, I didn't say any of this, but I sure thought it! Instead I stood there and went, "Nope...hadn't seen that."

I read somewhere that Peter Mayhew was sick for a couple days on ESB. They had a replacement actor play Chewie on those days. Ended up scrapping that idea because he had such a distinctive walk, body language, etc. They had to refilm everything they shot.:lol

Ha, yeah I would imagine they'd have to! Can't picture not being able to detect a Mayhew stand in.

I can understand Chewbacca being a hard one to replace who is in the costume. You can see his eyes, I am sure facial expressions come though like the Planet of the Apes actors we're able to do, he is animal like and as familiar as a family pet.

Guys wearing full body armour, concealing capes and a bucket on their head isn't nearly as challenging to recast on the fly.

Right. More than one person played Vader. C. Andrew Nelson Later Promotions, Commercials ,Kermit Eller, Early Promotions and TV spots , Thomas Morley, Vader in Night at the Museum 2 and Bob Anderson ( Stunt Vader)

I read that Prowse's script for the scene was:

Vader: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father."

Luke: "He told me enough, he told me YOU killed him."

Vader: "No... Obi-Wan killed your father."

Apparently only Lucas and James Earl Jones knew the true lines to prevent a spoiler. I always thought it was cool since Luke's reaction afterwards could just as easily be to his mentor killing his father. Not sure where I heard it, but if it was true I'm sure someone here would have mentioned it already.

^ I've heard that as well, except that Lucas pulled Hamill aside just before shooting the scene and told him what the line would actually be in the film so that he (Lucas) would get the proper reaction on film.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back