Luke's lightsaber tool ROTJ Deleted Scene - any ideas?

MasterJedi

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, I'm trying to hunt down some sort of replica of the tool Luke uses to finish his lightsaber in the deleted cave scene from ROTJ.

Do we have any idea what it's real life counterpart could be? It looks a bit like some sort of a compass to me. The kind you use to draw perfect circles. Hmm...

Screenshot (32).png

Last edited:
I’ve been after this for awhile. I believe they are drawing compasses

I actually was cleaning out my sisters basement the other day with her, she bought my grandparents house. My grandfather was a sheet metal worker and had a bunch, so I grabbed all the compasses he had

My memory escapes me now... but If you look, I think this is the same tool chewie is using when working on 3po

In my searches, the ones eith straight arms and fancy bell shaped tops, date to 18th and early 19th century drafting tools. Yea, like post revolutionary war (america)

Nothing else remotely modern seems to be cast/sculpted so fancy

I think I have a good idea, although this example is not a 100% Match. Further examination of the clip and playing it at .25 speed. Made me believe it is one of these, 3 leg compass/dividers.
895A4511-F8E4-43E6-9E1B-C0B5222399C7.jpeg
2AD0AD0D-FCEC-458F-AD83-6EC472372F8C.png
FA9A9CAA-3ABB-42B8-985B-B9F0C74B9D42.png
A7B25D9E-A82D-40A3-85F9-F313C23E16CC.png

Last edited:
I have been looking for this for years!! This is the closest thing I’ve ever seen! I have to get me one of these, I’m willing to bet your exactly right and found it!!

Do you have an exact name for eBay search’s? I need on now lol

This is a wicked find!!

I have been looking for this for years!! This is the closest thing I’ve ever seen! I have to get me one of these, I’m willing to bet your exactly right and found it!!

Do you have an exact name for eBay search’s? I need on now lol

This is a wicked find!!

unfortunately I haven’t found any for sale, I googled “three legged divider compass” and found a few examples that were for sale, one sold for $175 so I think they’re exceedingly rare, certainly not something that is manufactured nowadays.

I was looking for one as I wanted to create a mock-up of a lightsaber work bench and wanted to have appropriate tools on hand.

I believe the only way to get something like Luke used would be for an enterprising individual with the tools/skills to use them and the time to make a model of the tool And manufacture something that resembles what they used as the actual prop.

I created a mockup drawing on my computer of what I think the tool looks like, It's a crappy drawing but based on what I've been able to gleam from the video and the 3 legged compass I found on google, I think its fairly accurate. what say you guys?
tool.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back