LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 06MAY2013]

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 26MAR2013]

Bondo works so I started patching up the wing.

IMAG0195_zpsacce7160.jpg

While that was drying I decided to start cleaning up the blade and hand guard a little.

There was this ugly gap before:
IMAG0196_zps0336c52c.jpg

Not so much now:
IMAG0197_zps081f5d9e.jpg

Brought the blade edge up to where it's supposed to be from here:
IMAG0198_zps0704493a.jpg

To here:
IMAG0199_zps544fd72d.jpg

Grinded out the 'CHINA' stamp here:
IMAG0200_zps7434a31e.jpg

Ready for the first coat of primer!
IMAG0201_zps1740feb4.jpg

Next I will start working on flattening the pommel. More to come.

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP

I'm not sure how specific you want to be about it, but it looks to me that this "domed" piece on the guard, is concave instead of convex in the drawing you are replicating. It also seems to extend towards the tip of the blade slightly underneath the "diamond" shaped piece.

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [READY FOR INITIAL PRIMER! 27MAR2013]

You are correct! I wasn't sure how I would go about that without ruining that piece. If it was round then I could just recast and then spin it and shape it but it's oval, so that's out of the question. I will have to figure out something if I can without costing me a lot in materials.

You are correct! I wasn't sure how I would go about that without ruining that piece. If it was round then I could just recast and then spin it and shape it but it's oval, so that's out of the question. I will have to figure out something if I can without costing me a lot in materials.

I'd suggest a combination of dremel sanding and Epoxy Sculpt. Use the dremel to remove the highest point of the dome, then build up the curve with the Epoxy Sculpt, it'll cure hard enough to sand and will take paint well.

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [INITIAL PRIMER DONE! 27MAR2013]

Going back to the beginning, you have a photo of the whole thing disassembled, can you describe that process? You've mentioned the wings, but how about the rest?

Re: Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [INITIAL PRIMER DONE! 27MAR2013]

I'd suggest a combination of dremel sanding and Epoxy Sculpt. Use the dremel to remove the highest point of the dome, then build up the curve with the Epoxy Sculpt, it'll cure hard enough to sand and will take paint well.

Exactly what I was thinking. The dome is so large I will have to cut it out though. My initial thought was to fill and pack it with some sort of epoxy, and then cut the metal away and shape what's left over. This is because the cylinder for the sword to slide through is only connected at the bottom of the dome, not the top. Maybe jb weld Idk.

Going back to the beginning, you have a photo of the whole thing disassembled, can you describe that process? You've mentioned the wings, but how about the rest?

The pommel is glued on but with enough force you can unscrew it. From there its a nut and washer and then the whole thing comes off piece by piece. All I used was pair of pliers and a rubber mallet for the wings.

The problem is that the dome is very thin and only connected to the cylinder inside it by a small portion of where the diamond connects.

I will just have to do my initial idea and fill it with epoxy and then work from there.

Speaking of filling with epoxy, I have to do the same thing with the pommel so I can flatten out the top:

IMAG0227_zpse37d8e2e.jpg

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [Begun Pommel Work 04APR2013]

Worked on the pommel area. Flattened the top portion and got rid of the bevel on the bottom portion. Spot putty tonight, maybe some primer, though I still have a lot of work to do on the top portion.

Also decided to go a different direction with the hand guard piece.

Last edited:
Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 12APR2013]

Thank you! My plan for the hand guard is to used various sizes of craft wood stacked, and then using putty to fill in the angles and shaping it. The purchased sword's hand guard was oval shaped, but the in-game version is round, so I will be doing it round. Should be easy to shape using my drill press.

You are going for a dark link sword albeit an accurate one?

Oh. I see. The normal version, grey one, is the same as the black hilt one you purchased.

...nevermind. I see one thing this has one thing that the other doesn't. Anyway, you did select the most detailed version of the sword yet. I was surprised to see some of the detail taken away for Skyward Sword. Can't wait to see further progress!

Yeah there are some slight differences. Twilight Princess was definitely they way to go for me. I always want the most details as I can get.

Serious progress guys. Went out on a limb and saved myself HOURS of work.

I was walking through walmart and passed that green gardening foam. Thought to myself, 'Sure, why not. Can't hurt to try, right?'

Worked perfectly. Just rough shaped it and then spun it on the drill press. Shaped it with 220grit sandpaper wrapped around various round objects.

Next step is to seal off the foam and start putting a solid layer on it. Then merging it with the rest of the hand guard section.

*Note to others, wear long sleeve shirts if you work with this foam. Feels like my arms are on fire*

Re: LoZ Master Sword Rebuild WIP [NEW PICS 14APR2013]

That is some good progress.
Thanks for the tip about the plant foam. I have thought about carving up some in the past. I wonder why it burns?

How do you plan to seal the foam?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back