Looking for the right Millennium Falcon kit

Kreoon

OK, as it's been about 10 years since my last model kit, I'm trying to get back into it now I finally have some more time on my hands again.
As I've said, it's been a while, though I would still consider myself somewhat more experienced than beginner level.
Now it has come to my attention that there are several model kits of the falcon around, each with their own flaws, accuracies and price range.
These are what I've found so far:

Revell:
06658 : 2006 1/72 lvl2: Fully painted Snapmodel kit (episode IV-VI)
06694 : 2015 1/72 lvl2: Pre decorated Snap Kit (episode VII)
85-5093 : 2015 1/72 lvl5: Master Series Millennium Falcon (based on the FineMolds 1/72 according to some?)(retail €299)[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]

Bandai:

B-202288 : 2015 1/144 Star Wars The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon (I've seen this one go from €25 up to €65 on ebay)

FineMolds
SW6: 2005(?) 1/144 Millenium Falcon [Discontinued] (ebay: between €100 and €400)
SW11: 2005 1/72 Millennium Falcon [Discontinued] (ebay: between €299 and €800)

Now, my main questions are:
1. Have I missed any interesting kits?
2. Seeing as I'm "getting back into model kits", would I be better of with a repaint of an 1/72 snap-model kit, or jumping right back in with the revell master series? (299 is not cheap for me)

Just MY 2 cents.

A little history.

1rst Mill Falc. Build :

1978 1rst issue MPC/ AMT built about 45-50 of these. Recommend the 1rst issue MPC version as it has the best press / detail. Next is 1983 AMT issue of same.

Finemolds first issue. Great model. Slightly smaller than MPC/AMT Built 4-5 of these.

Bandi* NA. Looks great.

Revell First issue snap kit. Not bad. More toyish ( is that a word?)

What are you looking for? A lot of modification? Or a little modification?

In MY opinion,...

The Hasbro Rebel Falcon (toy) is the best of both options. It can be built with a minimal amount of mods to create a really great Falcon.

AND it's big. Easy on the eyes and at this point has a LOT of after market mods available. It is also very durable.

Hope this helps.
best regards, and have FUN!

I just finished assembling the 144 Finemolds kit, it was really easy compared to the assembly of the last two models I built (not Falcons), I'm going to start with the paint soon. I hear really good things about the Bandai. I have a MPC that I've been collecting aftermarket parts and kits for kit bashing, some of the details are soft and need work. I do have a Hasbro and it's big and beautiful, I haven't started work on it either because I'm still collecting aftermarket parts for it because it lacks a lot of sidewall detail. The Hasbro is made with a weird plastic that paint doesn't like to stick to, you have to use an adhesion promoter first. Any of these kits you can get 3d printed parts for to correct details, and there are a few people making resin and photo etched parts for some of them.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I'm thinking of trying to get my hands on a 1/144 Bandai kit though ebay.
If I reallly get into it, I might consider the Revell Master Series afterwards.

Since your getting back into modeling after a long hiatus, make sure you have the proper tools to build a kit today. Grab an Xacto knife and a pack of new blades, number 11's. Grab some sanding sticks too. Also get a good par of sprue cutters. There are lots of tiny pieces/tubes that you cant just twist off. Most important, have fun and welcome back!

Oh, and good choice on the Bandai Falcon, it's a great kit.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I'm thinking of trying to get my hands on a 1/144 Bandai kit though ebay.
If I reallly get into it, I might consider the Revell Master Series afterwards.

Bandai is a good choice for doing variants of the falcon from Episode IV to VII. But if I ever going to do one. I might consider the Hasbro or the DeAgostini Falcon.

I've built all available falcon kits. Bandai 1/144 was the best if you are considering price. Fine molds is tedious and hull curvature is a little flat but super detailed out of the box. As well as every version of the mpc/ertl.
I think it's fun kit bashing the mpc' personally
If i could have one.... Bandai.
One mans opinion
-Mike

Size matters, too. The bigger, the more lighting and animation effects potential you have available. However, consider how you will display the model. The bigger ones (Deag & Hasbro) will need a wall or ceiling space to display; the Bandai, Revell Advanced (aka Fine Molds) and MPC kits should fit on a shelf. I think even the snap-tite Revell will fit a shelf (I built one for my son...)

The most expensive (at least right off the bat) is the Deago piece-work model. The least expensive would probably be a second hand MPC kit, with the Hasbro kit being next in line depending on where you obtain it - however, it really needs 'dressing up' with more detailing so even if you make it all yourself, you are faced with extra materials & time (same goes for the MPC kit.) Probably the best balance all around is the Bandai kit which is very well engineered, accurate and reasonably priced even through the eBay sources.

A good treatise on this exact dilemma is found at 'Mark's' blog page:
https://marksmillenniumfalcon.wordpress.com/

He has also distilled down much of the essential information found here on RPF regarding using the Hasbro toy to model the Falcon.

Regards, Robert

Nice link, Robert, thanks! I wanted to start working on mine and couldn't figure out how to remove the cockpit so this will be very useful! :) Edit: Millennium Falcon Paints and Shades? ----- Wow!!!

Last edited:
Nice link, Robert, thanks! I wanted to start working on mine and couldn't figure out how to remove the cockpit so this will be very useful! :) Edit: Millennium Falcon Paints and Shades? ----- Wow!!!

I know! That was a new one on me too. I can't take credit for the link, I found it in another RPF thread (there are so many... can't say which one at the moment...) Just goes to show the 'Search' tool is your friend!

R/ Robert

Bandai is a good choice for a first Falcon. Beyond that, the FineMolds/Revell Master series has the potential of being a first class model if a proper paintjob is put on it (regardless of whether or not you try to tackle the fixes to the jawbox or not). I also like the FineMolds 1/144 (now about 1/164 with the Falcon's dimensions changing), although they are getting scarce. Here is what I was able to do with mine:

1/72 model:

1/144 FineMolds model (done up as the Episode III version of the ship)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back