looking for SS Y-wing Top gun 3d file or part

ave4uevoli

Sr Member
Hi All - I recently acquired a SS Y-Wing Red Jammer. It was sent to me by Silverskyes402 who did an amazing job shipping this item, and very nice and communicated with me throughout the entire process. I can't tell you how anxious I was to have a Y-wing shipped in the mail, especially with those long delicate struts on the engines. The Y-wing arrived completely intact, it was amazing. The model itself was done by Moffeaton a while ago it seems. It has changed hands a few times and in all the moving around, it seems to have lost its top canopy guns.

I wanted to complete this Y-wing and restore it to all it's glory. Jason Eaton is a wonderful model maker/builder, and Y-wings, and red jammers are always a great thing to keep around. I was wondering if anyone happened to have 3d files for the top guns. I've looked at DaveG's wonderful open source Y-wing files, but I couldn't find them there.

I'm not a builder myself, but I could manage printing out the top guns and painting them to match well enough. How do people usually go about making the top guns for Y-wings? Are they all scratch built?

If no 3d files are available, anyone have top gun parts laying around that I could purchase?

Thanks so much guys
~T

Attachments

• 20220905_154142.jpg
    20220905_154142.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
You want the Airfix (or Heller repop) 1/24 Messerschmitt Bf-109E guns (Part #70/71) for the top turret guns on the Y-Wing. I have originals or castings, and if you want to get super-fancy and idealize/super-accurize them, there's also an aftermarket set of turned brass barrels available from Poland to make them look super-duper spiffy. PM me for any/all if interested.

If you also need the base turret for them, I've mocked mine up from the Fruehauf Tanker rims cut in half and the 8rad piece inserted, as per the photo below...
1663995117086.jpeg

For me i had to cut off the cast barrel and drill out the center for the brass one. If i recall it was really the front trunnion i had to pay attention to. Once through that area there was not alot of material to remove and it came out easy. At some point i used my knife to carve things out in the middle area. I started with my micro drills and enlarged from there. Some pucker factor but in the end not bad.

Those look great! And if you can make castings look that good with the addition of the Polish turned metal barrels, I imagine with originals the drilling might be even easier (he says, having never tried it).

Found this video on the real Mg 17 gun, for reference. It's a little different version, but the barrel looks the same. Made a few screen grabs, but didn't want to clog up the thread. Here's a few and link to the video.
Screenshot_2022-10-14-23-54-22.png

Screenshot_2022-10-14-23-55-05.png

Screenshot_2022-10-14-23-55-32.png

Screenshot_2022-10-14-23-56-19.png

Screenshot_2022-10-15-00-01-05.png

Last edited:
You want the Airfix (or Heller repop) 1/24 Messerschmitt Bf-109E guns (Part #70/71) for the top turret guns on the Y-Wing. I have originals or castings, and if you want to get super-fancy and idealize/super-accurize them, there's also an aftermarket set of turned brass barrels available from Poland to make them look super-duper spiffy. PM me for any/all if interested.

If you also need the base turret for them, I've mocked mine up from the Fruehauf Tanker rims cut in half and the 8rad piece inserted, as per the photo below...
View attachment 1619397
Is that AMT 1/25 Fruehauf tanker? Any one will do, or one in particular?

Is that AMT 1/25 Fruehauf tanker? Any one will do, or one in particular?
I mean there is an "actual" one they used, I just don't know for sure which one it was. This AMT 1/25 Fruehauf tanker rim (that I've used) fits the bill, and other than a slight absence of a downward lip "flare" I think it's a pretty good match.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back