Looking for accurate Blade Runner Blaster references and measurements?

MangyDog

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi there, So yeah, another project I want to take on is the Blade Runner Blaster...
I know there are plenty of kits out there but I want to build my own...
Now this is one I've been wanting to do since I was a teen, but the early day kits back in the mid to late 90s were known for being fairly inaccurate, that along with the prices really put me off...

So, I'm looking for accurate references and measurements... Is there any definitive measurement blue print or drawings, that i can pull on to design my mesh parts off?

Or am i going to have to wing it based on some photos and a few key measurements?

Im going to be designing the models in F360 first, and being in the UK that includes the gun base. No firearms will be used in this, and the final prop is just effect action and can in no way be converted to a real firearm (legal disclaimer :D)

My plan, is to have working triggers, a LED mussel flash and working hammer... Im also giving some serious consideration to also cast the metal parts in Pewter rather than resin... And of course a working bolt stock too...

For those who want to know about the tricorder project, Dont worry im not abandoning that. Just prepping this as my next one... new PCBs are on the way and I should have some new updates regarding that in a few weeks...

If anyone can show me a resource of reference it would be a huge help...

Thanks in advance :D

All the best
Mangy_Dog

Tomenosuke has posted JPEG's of some of their blueprints on their blog, which you could trace.
However, the gun has many small details, and as always the devil is in the details. If you haven't inspected real gun parts or built a kit, then it might take you a long time to learn them all, and you would probably misinterpret a few details on the first try.

Anyway, if you PM me your email address, I could send you a zip of images I have gathered here and elsewhere.

Thanks guys, certainly alot to take in. There's so many little details I've not even considered... I don't know how accurate I'll be able to make mine...

Because I cant get hold of the real base gun to build on, i guess what ilI do is try and find faithful schematics for the bulldog? Design the base in cad first and use that to scale the line drawings of the tomenosuke...

I've not got a lathe or other machining tools so I'll try and and do all the finer details on the dlp printer. And add them to the bulked printed fdm parts for casting in pewter.

Now here's the other issue...... It appears between the two movies many various replicas, there had been changes. The receiver in the first film was a dirty silver I thought... In the next film and in some of the replicas it's matt black... Also there's 2 white wires going into the led side sight... Shall i copy that? Or hide the wires like some replicas have... Tough choices :)

Personally I wanted to do dirty metal...

Again thanks for your help...

Actually there are four wires going to the green LEDs: one pair per LED. One pair of wires goes over the cylinder cover and the other pair goes under it in a channel that must have been cut for it.
It would be practically impossible to connect the LEDs another way and mount them within that small tube, with the wires coming out of a small hole.

Yeah saw 4 wires, but 2 are outwardly exposed, however.... I could easily have those led mounted and lit and hide the wires completely... all within the tube and the magazine drum thing.... Oh and can easily .wire both leds with 2 wires... Just have them in serial.

This is partly why im considering hiding them... Even though it wont be entirely screen accurate.... to the original film at least. I think they hid them on the 2049 film model, it is a little tidier

CharterArms_Bulldog_schem.jpg

Thanks got that one already, though would be better with a side profile and mm measurements :p But I think I might have enough from the measurements thread and the image dump from Lars... I might start the cad this week...

good luck, looking forward to see what you come up with. It's super interesting to see someone build that blaster from scratch (y)

Thanks, Im certainly going to need it :D Its not going to be a difficult electronics thing to do... but yeah getting enough accurate details is going to be tricky.... Not to mention this would be the first time i cast pewter... but from what ive seen its not that hard.

Hi everybody!

OK ive started modeling the blaster in f360

Ive managed to work out the scale of tomos line draws for the most part... Though I might be off by a mm here or there.... One thing ive noticed though that the grip seems lower in the later line drawings than the older line drawings... So ive kinda worked in the middle...

Now with all the pics ive collected and that were thankfully donated to me here by lars, Ive worked out that the trigger gaude ring thing is 13mm wide, though it was messured something like 12.89 or something in the photos... I assumed it was designed to be 13 but that little less is after buffing...

Am i right to assume the grip shroud bar rim thing is also 13mm? The thing the amber grips screw onto.

Now,
upload_2018-12-19_9-9-6.png

What is the width of the original grip base?
And
upload_2018-12-19_9-11-23.png

What is the width of the base gun body?

Now I know im just not going to be able to build a 100% accurate model simply because I dont own a accurate replica to hold in my hand and copy...

And theres plenty of hidden details that just arent shown in pictures or the line drawings...

But I hope to get this about right enough to fool me :p Or Adam savage.... (never possible)

The width of a real Charter Arms Bulldog inner grip frame is exactly 13mm. The outer grip frame which was made for the amber grips was created from half-inch aluminium plate which is 12.7mm (that 0.3mm difference causes only-just-barely-visible gapping the edge of the grip frame underneath by the trigger guard back mounting point).

ahh thats good to know... I was just going to cast everything in pewter but cutting some bits in alu would be helpful... and less toxic :p

Though i was going to use lead free pewter.... (which turns out not to be lead free but low lead anyway)

What about the gun body?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back