Logan's Run Red Palm Life Clock!

Just a quick search on google and found those. So they make them but I didn't see anyone selling them straight away.
Grain of wheat bulbs just wont' cut it. They will suck current too much for such a tiny battery. Gotta go with a micro LED,
probably surface mount package, those I know you can buy. I just don't know what kind of current those little batteries can provide
and for how long, but I think this is possible with a flat enough battery and small enough LEDs I have a link to someone who made some thin lighted earrings, just don't have it handy. I'll post it later today. One's palm sort of has a hollow in that will help for more room for electronics. I mean if you put a quarter in your palm there is still some
room underneath it.

CessnaDriver,,

Are those flat batteries commercially available? I'm not so much concerned about the thickness of the battery as I am about the size of the light source. There are some tiny wheat bulbs available but one won't be enough to light the crystal. The more bulbs you use the more power you need.

I'm not well versed in the electronics aspect having blown up more than a few lights. My efforts to light kits has been shall we say less than successful. Some of the over 4,000 folks who have viewed this must have some ideas to share.

Looking forward to you posting the link. I'll have to do some research on the micro LEDs. If one is careful about showing off the crystal, one could cup the palm slightly to hide the height just a bit better.

Well, well, welly well, isn't that damned interesting!!! New vistas opening up, new ideas starting to coalesce. How are you with electronics like this and can it be made simpler? Need to think about how to 'hide' the lights, maybe an opaque layer between the circuit/battery and the top part of the crystal.

Getting them to pulse correctly like in the movie would be the trick I think.
Given a custom PC board like that I have the skills to assemble.

I'm the creator of the palm crystal on Shapeways, (or maybe I should say "a" creator, since I don't know if there are others,) along with other Logan's Run-related objects. I pulled them in the fall after reading that an international law was being passed that might make it prosecutable to make prop duplicates for sale. I took everything down until I can be sure I can't be held liable, even though the only charge I had on my models was to pay Shapeways to do the print..

What I made the crystal for, was to embedded in the palm of the Arcade Hand sculpture, which I created in 3D, and then edited for print. I made two versions: a 9-inch and a 16-inch. The palm crystal for the 9-inch would also fit in a person's palm, but it has an extrusion on the back so it can plug into the hand sculpture.

I did notice that the movie palm crystal's outer "petals" are a lot chunkier than the inner, in comparison to the larger "flower" crystals that appear throughout the film. I went for the shape of these larger crystals instead, because that is the form that's in the Arcade Hand sculpture. I didn't see the need to remake a palm crystal because I bought some years ago and still have them around somewhere.
16" Arcade Hand print.jpg16" Arcade Hand print apart.jpgprinted buildings.jpglit lifeclock in hand.jpg

Last edited:
Jintosh, in the film they made a rubber palm that fit over the actor's own, with a hole inset into which fit the crystal and a light behind it. If you notice, whenever they show off their crystals in the film, they always keep their hands a bit cupped, they never open their palms completely.

cr2016 batteries and micro led on soldering strips, ive crammed lots of those things in thinner items than a matchbook. online or ratshack if you just gotta have em today lol

Jintosh, in the film they made a rubber palm that fit over the actor's own, with a hole inset into which fit the crystal and a light behind it. If you notice, whenever they show off their crystals in the film, they always keep their hands a bit cupped, they never open their palms completely.

Ah. So that's how they did it. Thanks for the info.

do you have any photos or even measurements? It might solve a whole raft of problems.

Well it does make better sense than just gluing the crystal on to the hand, but gluing it would also mean leaving your hand cupped slightly as well. The movie crystals were slightly convex on the back. I figured that was so the crystal would have more surface to grip to when glued. doing it with a rubber prosthetic would allow for power to be run to the crystal much easier.

Ah. So that's how they did it. Thanks for the info.

I have not been able to find an actual screen used life crystal image despite all my efforts. I have tried several Logan's Run fan pages but most are now gone. Here are a couple of links that have life crystals mentioned or displayed.
http://www.rogermwilcox.com/LogansRu...ie_memorabilia - scroll about 3/4s the way down the page.
http://www.oocities.org/area51/dimension/5357/props.htm - this page is an archived copy, doesn't seem to be online anymore. Gives an explanation of the colours.
http://www.oocities.org/area51/Dimen...357/clocks.htm - Not the same page as above,

I have viewed every screen cap of Logan's Run I can find displaying someone's Life Crystal and I cannot make out the rubber appliance epoxinator mentions. It could have been edited out during post production but it leaves me wondering. Here is an excellent screencap page for Logan's Run - http://www.cap-that.com/logans-run/?page=1
I did notice in a few shots that the crystal wasn't smooth around the edges
.logans-run(1976)_0889crop.jpglogans-run(1976)_2433crop.jpglogans-run(1976)_3038crop.jpglogans-run(1976)_3041crop.jpglogans-run(1976)_5450crop.jpg

I can't grab screen shots from my blueray, because I have a Mac computer, but I did just shoot some shots off my TV. The scenes in the film where you can see the rubber around the crystal are:
•When Logan first meets Jessica and shows her his palm
•When Logan undergoes the Retrogram. (This is the best shot to see the prosthetic: the lighting clearly shows the prosthetic is more shiny than Michael York's fingers. You can see a shadow the palm flesh is casting into the crystal, and you can see some ripply rubber on York's wrist where they presumably covered the power wires.)
•When Logan is encircled by the Sanctuary group and has his hands above his head. (I'm not quite sure if they actually used the prosthetic here: it looks like the crystal sticks up above York's palm in this scene, and it looks like there is a smaller amount of rubber covering the wires that are threaded in between his palm and thumb.)
•When Logan and Jessica are in the water Outside. You can clearly see the crystal is embedded in Jessica's palm, and you can see it wrinkle oddly as Logan thumbs open her palm when he kisses it.)
•When Jessica shows Old Man her crystal, you can see it is flat with her palm, not sticking up above it.
•When Francis dies, he opens Logan's palm to see the clear crystal, which is embedded in the flesh, not above it.
•When they return to the city and Logan shows his clear crystal to the Carrousel crowd, the crystal is flat in his palm, not above it.

Palm crystal prosthetic.jpg

Attachments

• Palm crystal prosthetic.jpg
    Palm crystal prosthetic.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I can definitely see it on one of the images, the one from after retrogram.
Palm crystal prosthetic point 01.jpg

I can't grab screen shots from my blueray, because I have a Mac computer, but I did just shoot some shots off my TV. The scenes in the film where you can see the rubber around the crystal are:
•When Logan first meets Jessica and shows her his palm
•When Logan undergoes the Retrogram. (This is the best shot to see the prosthetic: the lighting clearly shows the prosthetic is more shiny than Michael York's fingers. You can see a shadow the palm flesh is casting into the crystal, and you can see some ripply rubber on York's wrist where they presumably covered the power wires.)
•When Logan is encircled by the Sanctuary group and has his hands above his head. (I'm not quite sure if they actually used the prosthetic here: it looks like the crystal sticks up above York's palm in this scene, and it looks like there is a smaller amount of rubber covering the wires that are threaded in between his palm and thumb.)
•When Logan and Jessica are in the water Outside. You can clearly see the crystal is embedded in Jessica's palm, and you can see it wrinkle oddly as Logan thumbs open her palm when he kisses it.)
•When Jessica shows Old Man her crystal, you can see it is flat with her palm, not sticking up above it.
•When Francis dies, he opens Logan's palm to see the clear crystal, which is embedded in the flesh, not above it.
•When they return to the city and Logan shows his clear crystal to the Carrousel crowd, the crystal is flat in his palm, not above it.

View attachment 583184

I just had a note from a Facebook acquaintance (I posted this photo construct there, too) who worked on Logan's Run: he says the only time the prosthetic was used was on Michael York, and only when the crystal was lit or blinking. So I guess I'm mostly full of crap in this. I should have mentioned: go watch those portions of the movie, instead of believing my crappy stills.

They are not crappy stills. And considering the year the movie was made, the prosthetic makes sense. It is only now that there are batteries small enough to be used in such a small unit. Which Facebook page were you posting to?

I just had a note from a Facebook acquaintance (I posted this photo construct there, too) who worked on Logan's Run: he says the only time the prosthetic was used was on Michael York, and only when the crystal was lit or blinking. I should have mentioned: go watch those portions of the movie, instead of believing my crappy stills.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back