Lighters to collect that were used in movies

In the Patrick McGoohan TV show 'Secret Agent" comes an interesting lighter...
Screenshot (22743).jpg

I watched Key Largo (1948) and Bogie whipped out a lighter around 20 minutes in to lite a cigarette for the 100+ year old Native American Indian lady, despite using a match earlier. It appears to be a flat Zippo (silver?), but it seems to have some vertical lines on it.

Key Largo Lighter Zippo.jpg

Soviet Union Tbilisi copy 1950s IMCO 6900 Gunlite lighter in excellent condition, although I installed a new wick and packing. (Purchased from someone in The Ukraine)

Soviet Copy Gunlite 02 Flash New Wick.jpg

Soviet Copy Gunlite 03 Lit.jpg

I'm thinking that Zippo lighter from Key Largo is going to be harder to find than I thought (so many Zippos out there and none with stripes like that so far).

I made a Photoshop mockup of the closed lighter from Key Largo:

Zippo Key Largo.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a note for any lighter collectors that wonder why their gas lighter is still leaking after changing the o-ring seals.

My M2 machine gun lighter butane lighter from the 1980s kept leaking all the gas out of it and I took it apart and the rubber o-ring seals didn't look too bad despite their age. I changed 2/3 anyway (the 3rd was definitely fine) and it still slowly leaked. I examined the snuffer cap and it has some kind of material that sits inside to cover the "needle" valve for the flame. It had holes punched in it like Swiss Cheese from the needle pressed against it over the years. Most Ronson gas lighters use a ball bearing and a spring-loaded needle to turn it on/off. This one depends on it covering the needle, apparently. So I suspected it was leaking out the needle around that material that had a hold in it. I put a tiny bit of gum in there and sure enough, it no longer leaked. So it's not just o-rings that can leak in gas lighters.

That was a bad move, though as the gum eventually sizzled and started falling out. I've switched to flex glue, which I let sit overnight to dry. I don't know how well that will hold, but we'll see. I'm not sure what the material it originally used is made out of. It almost looks like some kind of dried putty or something. I also discovered turning the ring that controls the flame height all the way off also prevented gas leakage. It's pretty sensitive, though. Turning it more than 1/4 the way results in a flame thrower. I don't know how that could be adjusted, but it's not loose so it can be fine tuned easy enough for various heights in-between.

EDIT: Flex Glue didn't work. Needle punched right through it and spread it out of the way and gas leaked out. Try something harder next, I guess like contact cement.

Last edited:
I was watching Stolen Face (1952) with then gorgeous Lizabeth Scott (who played Dusty Chandler in Bogart's 1947 movie Dead Reckoning), a movie about a plastic surgeon (played by Paul Henreid, who played Victor Laszlo in Casablanca with Bogart) that takes place in Britain that finds when he can't have the woman he wants (at first), he decides to make a criminal with a damaged face to look like the woman he loved and marries her and then it all goes wrong, of course and then the original woman shows up ready to marry him and he's already married to her doppelgänger who can't give up her criminal ways....

I noticed a Ronson Queen Anne table lighter about 50 minutes in (and again at 58 minutes in):

Stolen Face Queen Anne Lighter 01.jpg

Stolen Face Queen Anne Lighter 03 s.jpg

Stolen Face Queen Anne Lighter 02 s.jpg

(My Ronson Queen Anne lighter)

Ronson Queen Anne 03.jpg

Ronson Queen Anne 03 Lit.jpg

Last edited:
Is that special part asbestos? I know that old lighters have asbestos wicks...but other parts?:unsure:
I really don't know. It was made in Japan in the 1980s so I kind of doubt it as asbestos was more or less banned by then except for special uses, but then sometimes imports lack the same controls.

In Sabrina (1954), we see Bogie lighting up with what appears to be a Dunhill Rollalite, which was the original wick lighter in this form, first made in 1939 that was succeeded in 1956 by the ever popular Dunhill Rollagas (a butane powered version, which is still made despite negative operational changes to make them practically unserviceable at home in recent years and lower quality at that (despite ever higher prices). Since the Rollagas wasn't sold until 1956, the one here has to be a Rollalite. There's no way to tell in black and white if it's a gold, silver or Rhodium (looks like silver but doesn't tarnish like plated non-sterling silver) and they came in a few different patterns (which expanded to a lot more patterns with the Rollagas. I recently picked up the grid pattern one below, which I didn't even know existed in Rollalite form as most were engine turn, flat or lines (vertical or diagonal), especially early ones. Note that the top is smooth regardless of the pattern and early ones often had entirely smooth caps even if the body had a pattern. Given the character is rich and Bogie was too, you might assume it's 14K Gold or Sterling Silver, but it's also a movie prop and black and white doesn't show any difference so impossible to say. I own one Rhodium Rollalite and two different gold plated versions.

(Click for full size slideshow):

Sabrina Rollalite 01.jpg Sabrina Rollalite 02.jpg Sabrina Rollalite 03.jpg

Dunhill Brick Gold Rollalite 02.jpg

The three pocket versions I own currently

Dunhill Rollalite s.jpg Dunhill Rollalite Gold Stripe 1s.jpg Dunhill Brick Gold Rollalite 01.jpg

(There's also a table lighter version; I have 5 of those in Rhodium/Silver and one gold plated in mint condition which is rare as the gold ones usually have some wear on the edges of things like the ribbed stripes).

Gold Plated Table Lighter Version:

Dunhill Gold Table Lighter 03 Lit.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't know. It was made in Japan in the 1980s so I kind of doubt it as asbestos was more or less banned by then except for special uses, but then sometimes imports lack the same controls.
It was banned in Japan in 2006...so it's possible that it could be an asbestos piece:unsure:

It was banned in Japan in 2006...so it's possible that it could be an asbestos piece:unsure:
I don't know if would survive importation. I'm sure they could use other materials. I just tested contact cement to fill in the middle gap of the snuffer lid. I was a little concerned that it might be flammable after drying, but it doesn't appear to be. That appears to have worked better, at least. It's now been nearly 24 hours and there's still gas in it so if it's leaking, it's leaking a lot slower. If I turn the valve all the way off, it won't leak either way for long periods of time. A working lighter is preferable to a non-working lighter either way.

There was another lighter (other than the previously mentioned Ronson Rondelight Ball lighter) in The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse (1938) (Bogart / Edward G. Robinson) sitting on the police commissioner's desk. I believe it is an Evans Trig-a-lite (possibly an Evans Ball Bearing lighter as they looked nearly identical as the Trig-a-lite replaced it). Both are from 1938 or earlier. I'm looking for a dirt cheap one in a basic chrome style....

The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Police LIghter 01.jpg

The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01a.jpg The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01b.jpg The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01c.jpg The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01d.jpg The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01e.jpgThe Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01e.jpg The Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01f.jpgThe Amazing Dr Clitterhouse Lighter 01g.jpg

Evans Trig-A-Lite Example:

Dr Clitterhouse Evans Trig-a-Lite 01.jpg

Last edited:
OMSCO Lite (Japanese knockoff of Ronson Crown Lighter). Needed new wick and packing (PITA).

OMSCO Lite 01.jpg

OMSCO Lite 02 Lit.jpg

Another Ronson "Crown" Lighter I picked up as part of a Lot. It needed a new wick and packing. The packing smelled bad. I don't know if that's Naptha (before my time with lighters and they don't make it anymore) or something else (almost reminded me of blue cheese):

Ronson Crown Number 2 01.jpg

Ronson Crown Number 2 02 Lit.jpg

Last edited:
Ronson Trophy Lighter (Ship Photos in Acrylic Lighter). It needed a new wick and packing (some kind of sawdust or seeds or something were inside instead of cotton. Makes you wonder....

Ronson Trophy Lighter Num1 01.jpg

Ronson Trophy Lighter Num1 02.jpg

Ronson Trophy Lighter Num1 03 Lit.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to be covering all my bases. Collect lighters first. Look for matches as I watch movies....

Ronson Georgian Table Lighter. More stuck fuel caps, bad wicks and a nightmare pulling cotton out until I can get to the wick and restuffing....

Ronson Georgian One 02.jpg

Ronson Georgian One 03 Lit.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back