Licensed Prop value question

arkangel

Quick question for my fellow RPFers....
I'm in the process of selling off some of my Master Replicas lightsabers and had an interesting question from a potential buyer. He wanted to know if I kept the original brown cardboard shipper boxes and is of the impression that my sabers are somehow devalued without them. As most of you know, all but the earliest releases came with a massive black MR box which housed both the saber and display case. Those I kept, but not the plain brown cardbox that surrounded it.
So..... Is this guy just an overly discerning collector? or is there any validity to this? To be honest, it sounds ridiculous to me to collect brown cardboard shipper boxes.
Advice/ opinions most welcome.

Well, I would think they may be thinking it would add to the value but I don't see it adding much as an open box. Now if it was in the original shipping carton sealed that would be a different story but they obviously know its not a seal carton :p

Quick question for my fellow RPFers....
I'm in the process of selling off some of my Master Replicas lightsabers and had an interesting question from a potential buyer. He wanted to know if I kept the original brown cardboard shipper boxes and is of the impression that my sabers are somehow devalued without them. As most of you know, all but the earliest releases came with a massive black MR box which housed both the saber and display case. Those I kept, but not the plain brown cardbox that surrounded it.
So..... Is this guy just an overly discerning collector? or is there any validity to this? To be honest, it sounds ridiculous to me to collect brown cardboard shipper boxes.
Advice/ opinions most welcome.

The original shipping boxes do add some value to the saber because a lot of them have numbering and information from the prop inside. So since it is a part of the full packaging it is part of the value.

However, without the outershipping box is doesn't kill the value a huge amount. It is just for 100% collectors. instead of 95% collectors.

That's pretty much what I thought. I can see wanting the big black molded styrofoam box and the small saber box, but I certainly didn't keep the outer brown cardboard ones. I'm ok dealing with the 95 percent. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I only have a few MR and Efx pieces but I kept the shipping boxes around the empty packaging as it does protect it with no real addition in storage space,
and of course when it comes time to sell, there's more protection in transit :)

The story with the shipper is a good way for a price drop!;)

Its truth that the pieces are a little bit more in value with the shipper...but I would not sell my props cheaper because I would not have this box.If somebody wants the box I would sell the piece to another one.If you have good props you will 100% find someone that will buy it also without the shipper.But the Originalpackage and papers are very important.

Original paperwork and original box with foam inserts are very important indeed. But in a way so is the shipper/outer box, it will protect the inner art box when shipping - never ship just in the inner box. At least if you don't have the shipper, find a box that is the same size and use that. I wouldn't really mind if a piece doesn't have the outer/shipper box, if the seller finds a box that fits the art box inside well.

Brown shipper has never been a big deal to me but it can make the piece feel more complete. It really just makes it more convenient for shipping purposes. That being said I hate when brown shippers are re-used as the shipping container multiple times. The usually have tears and holes and have lost rigidity. This is NOT what it was designed for. :facepalm

Not only do I maintain the brown box but also every delivery person who delivered said box. I have them chained up in my root cellar. If anyone is looking for a 2005 DHL delivery man, I have a spare I can let go cheap.

Last edited:
I've sold various MR pieces over the years and on more than one occasion I've had buyers ask me to ship items with an additional box to protect the brown shipping box; I kid you not! A box to protect a box that's there to protect a box. You couldn't make it up. It obviously means something to some but in some cases I've also never had the shipper when buying from retailers like forbidden planet. This is where with licensed replicas things are often more about collecting than prop replication.

It's funny when you need a box to protect a box that's protecting often another box!

personally speaking the condition of the prop itself is paramount. However, assuming that's 100% (although very often it isn't) the box that holds it is a 'nice to have' - but less so the shipping box.

I think I'd rather have a lower number or a crack free Perspex cover - and forgo the outer box.

Cheers

Jez

If I hadn't experienced it I'd not believe it. Your points are pretty spot on that the state of the prop is of paramount importance.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back