Liam Neeson Shows Off Original Phantom Menace Lightsaber

He was supposed to be talking to Yoda in the scene in ROTS, when Yoda was meditating after the birth of the twins, but Lucas cut his lines. I don't remember if he actually recorded them or not, but I was thinking that he did. I do know that Neeson appeared in TCW Mortis arc.
He can be heard in AoTC when Yoda can sense Anakin killing the Tuskens

For some reason I never liked this design as much. I think if I could see a cutaway showing how it worked I would feel better. I mean with that grip you're giving up all the space inside for the electronics. The nerd in me needs an explanation before I can really like it. :lol:

For some reason I never liked this design as much. I think if I could see a cutaway showing how it worked I would feel better. I mean with that grip you're giving up all the space inside for the electronics. The nerd in me needs an explanation before I can really like it. :lol:
Micro power cells instead of one big one.... I know that's not a cutaway but that's the explanation that was given somewhere. (Maybe the Visual Dictionary)

All I know is that I have always liked this hilt (one of my favorites actually along with Obi-Wan's Episode 1 saber) and I will be jumping on the next run I see... which may never happen but I still want to!

Micro power cells instead of one big one.... I know that's not a cutaway but that's the explanation that was given somewhere. (Maybe the Visual Dictionary)

All I know is that I have always liked this hilt (one of my favorites actually along with Obi-Wan's Episode 1 saber) and I will be jumping on the next run I see... which may never happen but I still want to!

Yup, that’s info from the Visual Dictionary.

I quite agree with you. The prequels weren’t perfect but I loved the production design, specifically the props and lightsaber designs.

I just got a slimmed down stunt version of Qui-Gon’s from OneReplicas for dueling, and even though it’s not super accurate it’s still amazing, so now I’m on the hunt for a hero version.

KR sabers is apparently doing some more near the end of this year

According to the Clone Wars episodes, Qui-gon couldn't have a Force Ghost anywhere except Mortiis, which makes me think that we'll hear him if Liam has a part, rather than see him.
Was that really him on Mortis, though? I always thought there was a good chance that it was the Son impersonating him, just as he impersonated Shmi.

Also, we could see Qui-Gon in flashback in the series. Neeson really doesn’t look that much older than he did in TPM.

Last edited:
I go back and forth with this saber, but most of the time I don't really like it. I think it's because it was overused as the generic hilt design for all the low end collapsible sabers when I was younger. It's very "flashlighty" to me with the flat pommel and flared emitter end.

Was that really him on Mortis, though? I always thought there was a good chance that it was the Son impersonating him, just as he impersonated Shmi.

Also, we could see Qui-Gon in flashback in the series. Neeson really doesn’t look that much older than he did in TPM.
It was him. Filoni clarified what was meant by Anakin and his conversation about the Son, and how it linked to the Yoda centric episodes in season 6.

It was him. Filoni clarified what was meant by Anakin and his conversation about the Son, and how it linked to the Yoda centric episodes in season 6.
Thanks. When I first watched the ep, I just took it as a given that it really was Qui-Gon. But when I rewatched the series (and that episode), I wondered if we really were supposed to take that as a given, or if Filoni intended to keep it ambiguous as to whether or not it might really have been the Son.

I guess it makes sense in that the Son was focused on Anakin, and really didn’t appear to give Obi-Wan much thought.

Thanks. When I first watched the ep, I just took it as a given that it really was Qui-Gon. But when I rewatched the series (and that episode), I wondered if we really were supposed to take that as a given, or if Filoni intended to keep it ambiguous as to whether or not it might really have been the Son.

I guess it makes sense in that the Son was focused on Anakin, and really didn’t appear to give Obi-Wan much thought.
I originally wasn't sure how to take his appearance. It wasn't until the episodes where he speaks to Yoda directly that changed my mind.

I've always thought that Qui-Gon character was a wasted opportunity.

I originally wasn't sure how to take his appearance. It wasn't until the episodes where he speaks to Yoda directly that changed my mind.

I've always thought that Qui-Gon character was a wasted opportunity.

Liam Neeson is awesome, but QGJ is squarely the archetype/trope of the venerated master in his twilight years. The character’s purpose was always to be removed so the “torch would be passed” to his young pupil, who would then have to venture on his own into the unknown (training Anakin).

But yeah, I’d love to see Lola FX work their de-aging magic in the Obi-Wan series and give us some kick-ass flashbacks of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan pre-TPM.

He can be heard in AoTC when Yoda can sense Anakin killing the Tuskens
But was that recorded specifically for AOTC? I always assumed it was recycled from when he tells Anakin to drop as Maul is coming in TPM. The "Noooo" part never sounded like Neeson to me at all.

But was that recorded specifically for AOTC? I always assumed it was recycled from when he tells Anakin to drop as Maul is coming in TPM. The "Noooo" part never sounded like Neeson to me at all.
Noooo part wasn't Qui-gon. He just says the Anakin part.

I don't know if Neeson recorded the line specifically for AoTC, or if it was re-used. I always assumed it was just re-used.

I always thought Qui-Gon's was an underrated design.
I go back and forth with this saber, but most of the time I don't really like it. I think it's because it was overused as the generic hilt design for all the low end collapsible sabers when I was younger. It's very "flashlighty" to me with the flat pommel and flared emitter end.
I felt the same way. At first it looked too simple in an uninspired way with a goofy red button that makes it look like a toy. But over the years it's grown on me a lot and I really like how understated it is.

The OT hilts will always be my favorites but I've come to appreciate the three TPM sabers.

I felt the same way. At first it looked too simple in an uninspired way with a goofy red button that makes it look like a toy. But over the years it's grown on me a lot and I really like how understated it is.

The OT hilts will always be my favorites but I've come to appreciate the three TPM sabers.
^ This. I appreciate the simplicity of it. Nothing fancy, no overworked ornamentation, nothing more than what he really needs.
I'll always love the OT sabers but Qui-Gon's looks like one I would actually wield as a Jedi. Nothing to get snagged on or difficulty to hold with a control box etc.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back