Lego Star Wars Speeder Bike

Grendel67

Hi All.

This is my second main thread, and yes, it's another Lego scale model build.

I made this last year for a friend's 40th birthday present, and took it with me to Dragon*Con in Atlanta (but that's a different story). Like the SSD Executor model (see other thread) I had seen pictures of Speeder Bikes by other MoC builders and thought that I could at least match their excellent efforts. Anyway, you can judge for yourselves.

This model only took about 2 months to build, once I had amassed all the parts. But unlike the SSD Executor, it is small enough (at about 75cm / 30 inches) to display on a shelf. There are a little over 600 pieces in this model.

The last image in the sequence shows the linkage I designed to allow the deflector/steering panels at the back of the bike to be moved by pressing on the foot-rests. Sadly, this doesn't work too well when the model is sitting on on a surface as the foot-rest needs a greater range of travel than is permissible by the short stand (and a taller stand was too unstable and liable to 'bending' because of the large turning forces). However, if you picked it up and 'zoomed' it round the room - and let's face it, who wouldn't - the foot-rest steering worked a treat.

This is Awesome!!
I haven't built anything out of Lego for years & years, seeing this is quite inspiring :)

Hi Nazgul.

The scale was determined mainly by the type of Lego pieces available. I could have made it smaller but it would have lacked detail or accuracy. If I made it bigger then the front 'arms' would bend too much with the weight of the front steering deflectors.

Also, as I was carrying this to Atlanta (along with a full Darth Maul costume + cape + boots) I had to think about my weight limitation.

It would be possible to make it larger and have better detail, but it would definitely need either support at the front end or some 'hidden' support in the form of a metal/wire skeleton.

Like my SSD Executor model, there is no glue to strengthen weak areas. Only 100% Lego. :)

This is Awesome!!
I haven't built anything out of Lego for years & years, seeing this is quite inspiring :)

Hi Leigh.

Thanks for the comment. :)

While I was in Atlanta I was shopping around with my friend (who did not know about his birthday present at this point) in Atlanta's Lego shop. I was looking for inspiration for my next scale build and saw an MoC flying pirate ship . . . . and immediately thought of the Shield Helicarrier.

Sadly, I had blown most of my modelling budget on books and comics/artwork at Dragon*Con. Then, of course, there was 'the look' I got from my other half when I suggested this new project . . :behave . . .

This is so sweet! Lego is amazing stuff and the primordial soup for many here not just me. It always brings a smile to see stuff like this. Really cool work Grendel67.

Hi Mike J and Chaank.

Thanks for the feedback.

Although I don't play with Lego so much now, every now and then I get inspired to create 'great' works like the speeder bike and SSD Executor. Who knows what it will be next time (when the budget allows). :)

What a present- whoa...... man you got some talent! You know your friend will be expecting a full size version for his 50th...........

Hi Gerry.

Don't even go there man! My wife would sooner bury me in a Lego coffin than allow me the time and space (and budget) for a project of that scale. :(

However, . . . . a Shield Helicarrier is still a possibility later this year. I just have to decide on a sensible scale . . . .

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back