Latex sticking to itself?

gramzy

hey all just got done with one of my backer rod dreads and i coated it in some latex from monstermakers only prob is when it touches latex to latex with another dread they stick together then it rips the latex. They have dried for almost 12 hours now. have i not waited long enough dry wise or did i forget to do something? i mixed my latex with some liquitex to give it a black color. any help would be awesome thanks. karl

Sounds good ptgreek thanks for the fast reply btw when you say right after it cures do you mean like when its not tacky at all because after what about a half hour its dry but still slightly tacky or are you talking about when it isnt tacky at all?

well generally when its not tacky..are you sure you arent putting the layer of latex on too thick ?..it cures from the outside in ,when there isnt anything like plaster to absorb the water from the latex ...since you are painting it on backer rod, it may take a while to set. Have you ever considered spraying the backer rod with Plasti-dip ..it might be easier for you ...less time consuming and will give you the same effect

hmm maybe the fact i put two layers of latex on was the issue. the two layers i put on where really thin though. i tried the plasti dip method but i wasnt getting the results i was looking for i wanted a nice smooth surface for a better look thats why i tried the latex route ill see if the baby powder works when i get home and ill try only putting on one layer and letting that cure before i add the second coat. if that doesnt work ill go back to the plasti dip way but i really like the way the latex looks versus the plasti dip. i should of just bought some bambooie dreads!!!! but making my own stuff makes me feel like i accomplished something lol. thanks for the help mate

Oh, yes ..each layer should cure before the next. Im all for going for the method you desire best ..no matter how much work is involved. Good luck ..hope the suggestion works ..feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any more questions

i used plasti dip spray. (Black) works dreams with my dreads. i used to run into the same problem with the latex sticking dreads together

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back