Laser Cutting Sintra (Expanded PVC)

AaronLee

Hey everyone, I tried doing some searches but I couldn't dig up anything so I apologize if this information is somewhere.

My question is if it's hazardous to cut sintra sheets without some sort of special precautions. A custom laser cutting company told me that they couldn't cut sintra due to it's chlorine content. Some other companies list sintra as a material they can cut, so I thought I'd double check.

Without really knowing the answer, I would guess that it's the fumes given off while cutting it because the laser burns it. It might be hazardous to the operator.

I used to use the stuff in design school. Never heard that it was hazardous though.

I googled 'sintra hazardous' and found this on another forum. It explains the problems with it:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=11169

The fumes are actually hazardous to the laser cutter. The fumes given off by cutting syntra are corrosive to the machine.

My company uses a digital router to cut sintra all of the time. We have no problems whatsover. How thick is the sintra you need cut?

Scott

I have 3mm sheets on hand right now, but I was thinking of using 2mm.

Hazardous to the machine huh, that seems a little unexpected.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back