Service Lager Toys MJOLNIR Refinishing Service

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Mjolnir replica from "Lager Toys" is easily found online, especially Ebay and has proven to be a good option for a relatively inexpensive Thor hammer replica if you missed out on the eFX replica or are unsatisfied with the Halloween Costume accessory version from Disguise.
While the overall design is pretty good - with the exception of some complaints about the thickness and length of the handle, the hammer head and pommel design as well as the real leather strap and the pretty box it comes shipped in seams to help make this a more viable option for collectors and cosplayers.

That being said, the actual paint finish on the Lager Toys hammer is less than impressive; as shown in the two images below, the prop features a very bland dull silver paint with a sub-standard black wash brushed on.

UNALTERED "LAGER TOYS" MJOLNIR REPLICA

What I'm offering here is a truly studio-quality overhaul of the finish on the hammer head and pommel. Instead of a matte-finish silver, you'll be getting an authentic looking AND feeling polished nickel finish with nice reflectivity and surface detailing exactly how the original props were finished for "Thor: The Dark World".
Making these alterations greatly enhances the overall appearance of the prop, changing from "toy-ish" to a very real looking piece for display or cosplay.

Shown below are examples of a refinished Lager Toys Mjolnir:

CUSTOM REFINISHED "LAGER TOYS" MJONIR REPLICA

PLEASE NOTE: The finishing techniques applied is an organic process. As such, the actual finish details will be unique to each Mjolnir but will overall look like what is pictured here.

Price to refinish your hammer is $125.00 + return shipping (billed at time of completion) THIS IS A SPECIAL RATE EXCLUSIVE TO RPF MEMBERS!
Customer must provide a Lager Toys Mjolnir hammer replica for this service - price listed above is for the refinishing service only.
Refinishing service includes a total makeover of the hammer head and pommel. No alterations will be made to the handle itself.
Seeing is believing for this service - it's a night and day difference! I exclusively use the same methods and materials used to create the finish on the actual screen-used props.
Please do not email me asking for a DIY tutorial, I will not respond.

How to hire me for this service
Contact me through PM and let me know you're interested and ready to proceed. Once we've made contact, please visit my website www.afxprops.com and fill out and submit the Project Submission Form after reading through the terms and conditions. Information on how and where to send your item to me is found on the project submission page.

Approximate turnaround time is one to two weeks depending on my current work load. If you have any questions, please contact me - I typically respond within hours (or sooner) to messages.
Thank you for browsing my listing and I hope to do work for you!

-Frosty

Last edited:
The factory glued the handle on, so no way of swapping it out without the possibility of damage. The new finish is so good your eyes don't notice the handle much anymore ;-)

I have been getting messages asking where is the best place to buy the Lager Toys hammer.
EBay is your best option for finding a deal, which is important if you'll be investing in my service.
Though they all get shipped from Hong Kong, I've seen many listings offering free Shipping, some for just under $100.00
If you shop around now, it'll take two weeks minimum for me to get it, but I could very well have it refinished and back in your hands in time for the premiere of Ultron!

The handle being refinished would be my priority. THAT's what is the biggest problem with the hammer. There have been several that say if you handle it very much, the paint comes off easily. I'd like to find someone that could apply leather to it.

The handle being refinished would be my priority. THAT's what is the biggest problem with the hammer. There have been several that say if you handle it very much, the paint comes off easily. I'd like to find someone that could apply leather to it.
The paint on mine hasn't budged a bit and I've handled mine quite a bit here at the shop.
The real props didn't have leather anyway, those sections on the handle were solid resin castings painted to look like leather.

The paint on mine hasn't budged a bit and I've handled mine quite a bit here at the shop.
The real props didn't have leather anyway, those sections on the handle were solid resin castings painted to look like leather.

I don't know, but this is a pic of the actual prop hammer, and it doesn't look painted to me. May not be actual leather, but it's some kind of material.

Dark World Hammer.jpg

I've seen that video. I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
You can literally see in that video that casted pieces are being painted. Might not be with a brush, but it's not leather.

I've seen that video. I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
You can literally see in that video that casted pieces are being painted. Might not be with a brush, but it's not leather.
LOL... I appreciate the tact....
I'm not saying the pieces are definitely leather, as I said. But the handle is clearly not a one solid piece construction that's simply been painted as you suggested, as is the Lager handle. My entire point was, the Lager hammer needs a handle constructed like the movie prop, not the one solid piece construction. If the movie prop isn't true leather, so be it. But it's not one solid piece, painted.

Last edited:
LOL... I appreciate the tact....
I'm not saying the pieces are definitely leather, as I said. But the handle is clearly not a one solid piece construction that's simply been painted as you suggested.
I never said it was a one piece.
In the video, you can see each segment of the handle is an individual piece.
The "leather" segments are leather-textured castings rubbed with wood stains. Fact.
I don't know you and I'm sorry if I am blunt, but I know what I'm talking about.

I never said it was a one piece.
In the video, you can see each segment of the handle is an individual piece.
The "leather" segments are leather-textured castings rubbed with wood stains. Fact.
I don't know you and I'm sorry if I am blunt, but I know what I'm talking about.
I see. I thought you were eluding to the actual movie prop handle being a one piece construction as the Lager handle. But really, my whole point was that the handle is what needs reworking. Although the Lager hammerhead finish doesn't look as good as yours, I can live with that. The handle is what I wish was more like the movie prop.

Just a heads up, looks like there are horrible recasts of the Lager hammer coming out of China now.
If you find a listing in the $100 range, it's probably not the Lager version.
The recast I just got from a customer is so horrible I had to unfortunately decline service.

Yeah, luckily for me the seller sent me a picture of the hammer that had the shaft attached with a horrible tilt and gave me the chance to cancel the order before he shipped it. According to him thats how all the hammers came from the factory.

Just a heads up, looks like there are horrible recasts of the Lager hammer coming out of China now.
If you find a listing in the $100 range, it's probably not the Lager version.
The recast I just got from a customer is so horrible I had to unfortunately decline service.

GeneralFrosty,

If one of your customers was looking to get a MjOLNIR what direction would you point them? LOL I am looking to secure one and have you finish.

Dion

Nice results mr. frosty! was that rub n buff applied to the print in the video? I hope people can find a decent replica for you to work on, those results looked great man!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back