Lady Sif - Thor (The Dark World)

LadyFancyPants

Well hello there!

This is my first post here as I am a new member! (Although I am a long-time lurker...)

full armour sword shield.jpg

I have recently taken up the challenge of cosplaying Lady Sif from Thor. I chose this for two reasons:

1) I have been cosplaying for about 4 years with just fabric work and always loved the thought of being able to make something more elaborate which didn't just mean sitting at a sewing machine for weeks
2) I have recently made the decision to finally lose weight and have now lost two stone; I still have a bit to go but I wanted a character who I would be able to feel confident cosplaying now!

Anyway, enough about me!!

After years of going to cons and watching panels about numerous materials I chose Worbla as this seemed one of the easier materials and it was the one I knew most about. The original plan was to do the whole process very methodically; pattern, foam, worbla, build, prime, paint, finish... Unfortunately as this was my first time really making any form of armour I got extremely excited and did things in a bit of a random order. For example, right now one of my bracers is made, primed, mostly painted but I haven't finished patterning the torso XD The lure of Rub n'Buff was just too much!

I will try to post as I go although I often get carried away and forget to take photos...

WIP - Lady Sif - Leg.jpgWIP - Lady Sif - Bracers and Leg.jpgWIP - Lady Sif - Bracers.jpg

Okay so here are my bracers and leg bit thing :p

The bracers were the easiest part as I have made some previously for a (temporarily) abandoned Anya Stroud cosplay. I made all of the above with worbla and the sandwich technique. I am not the neatest with the detailing but I'm getting better! The leg part slightly suffered from air bubbles >< But now I know some tricks to get rid of this in the future. They hopefully won't be so obvious when painted...

I decided to make the entire thing rigid rather than the top part from leather or an equivalent - I thought this may sit better rather than losing their shape mid-con. They will be mounted to a pair of brown boots - I have attached D-rings to the inside so they can be strapped with leather so they look more part of the set. I have done the same with the bracers and I will use the same fabric which will sit under them.

I have primed them with spray primer, if anyone has a quicker method then please let me know - I have tried Gesso but found that took much more time and effort than the spray! Failing all else, I will have epic forearms like she-Hulk from all the sanding.

WIP - Lady Sif - Breastplate.jpg

Final update for this evening - this is my breastplate! Hours of burning fun behind me! I have made this following Kamui's technique as it seemed the most straight forward. I've started on the detail for the side but the shape needs to be smoothed out across the front as Lady Sif doesn't have cups in hers. I've started this process but it looks a bit of a mess at the moment.

My biggest issue so far was the fact Lady Sif's breasts are smaller than my own, so I have tried to shape the sides to give that illusion. Took a long time and won't be quite as comfortable but it will make the breastplate a better shape.

I decided to split the torso in to two parts and then join them together afterwards. This seemed an easier way of getting the shape for the two sections whilst also keeping the whole torso as one piece.

looks great. Keep at it and keep posting pics please.
What kind of paints are you going to use on them?
I think your profile will be fine as she was always drawn with bigger breasts as far as I can remember. Sometimes that doesn't mesh up well in live movies but you should be fine with what yo have done so far. The costume was also changed a bit from the comic to screen.
Sif_(Earth-1610)_002.jpg

Thank you ^_^

I am using acrylic paints - the smaller parts I'm using some Games Workshop paints for as they come in some really nice silvers etc. I have used Rub n'Buff for the main body of the armour parts - I love how much shine it can have :) Yeah I looked at possibly going down the comic road but I preferred the shape and flow of it in the film.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Okay so I had a bit of a play around with paints today whilst I wait for payday and therefore more worbla! Rub n'Buff for the base silver, Citadel paints mixed for the red :) I'm certainly not the best, nor the quickest at painting but I'm pretty happy with them so far. Now it is back to more reading to get some weathering techniques together! :D

First of all welcome LadyFancyPants. This is a great character to make as I am just getting into the Thor universe. Just wandering though what is worbla?

First of all welcome LadyFancyPants. This is a great character to make as I am just getting into the Thor universe. Just wandering though what is worbla?

Worbla is a thermoplastic; basic terms it is solid when cool but if you add heat then it becomes flexible so you can mould it easily. When you have your desired shape you can just cool it again and it will harden. The great thing about Worbla is that you can re-heat it multiple times and it will keep changing shape, so if you do something wrong you can easily heat and reshape :) The other great thing is that Worbla will adhere to itself - all of the above parts and details are made from multiple layers of Worbla and there is not one bit of glue :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...39.1073741845.1492034614349499&type=3&theater - that is a link to my Facebook page where I've written about Worbla; hints/tips/price etc if that helps ^_^

This material sounds amazing and easy to use! All I've used in years of creating (since Elementary school) have been either cardboard, foam, and recently fiberglass for the first time(which is messy and time consuming!). Thanks for the detailed explanation!

This material sounds amazing and easy to use! All I've used in years of creating (since Elementary school) have been either cardboard, foam, and recently fiberglass for the first time(which is messy and time consuming!). Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I love it, it makes some work feel much easier and gives a really solid base for projects. The drawback is the price but I suffer from having very little spare time to work on things so it means I can finish projects! Fibreglass looks incredible but I can imagine it takes a lot of clearing up!
You're very welcome :) I try and share what wisdom I have haha. So if you have any more questions let me know ^.^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to check on the availability and price of it here for certain projects but for now I'll have to stick with other materials to build Grimlock from the transformers and a gold Iron Man suit from Tales of Suspense.

It sounds like it would've been great for finishing my darth vader costume but sadly I decided to move on from that and sold those pieces on ebay.

I'm also trying to do a Lady Sif cosplay from Thor The Dark World! However, I couldn't afford all of the worbla so I'll be using EVA foam :) This is my first time really making armor for a cosplay and I'm still pretty new to it. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back