L.A. Noire Video Game

Visually, it's very impressive. But after trying to get into GTA IV and finding it to be a whole lot of hype and a whole lot of crappy implementation, I'm on the fence about this one. I love noire stuff, but "From the makers of GTA IV!" doesn't exactly make me want to open my wallet.

Looks like a mod added "Video Game" to my thread title ... as if to say "STAY AWAY" to people who aren't gamers who might actually be interested in a groundbreaking title. ;)

And I'll bite my tongue until I play it, but I highly doubt visual delights will be all it has to offer. From what's been shown, they've taken leaps to produce some of the greatest character performances ever put into a game ... and the turnout of talent relfects that. (John Noble from Fringe and Lord of the Rings looks and moves exactly like himself in the game.)

I don't know that a title change was intended to say "stay away" as you said as much as maybe clarify to others skimming the thread titles.

This game does look amazing! I'm getting it on Tuesday for sure :)

Loved some of the GTA games, liked Bully, hated Red Dead. This one though does seem right up my street. The Guardian did a great interview on it, there are missions apparently where you don't even unholster your gun. Very cool.

Looks like a mod added "Video Game" to my thread title ... as if to say "STAY AWAY" to people who aren't gamers who might actually be interested in a groundbreaking title. ;)

And I'll bite my tongue until I play it, but I highly doubt visual delights will be all it has to offer. From what's been shown, they've taken leaps to produce some of the greatest character performances ever put into a game ... and the turnout of talent relfects that. (John Noble from Fringe and Lord of the Rings looks and moves exactly like himself in the game.)

Yeah, that's definitely something that's been tempting me. What buzz I've heard about this makes it sound far less...I dunno...aimless than GTA4 and more tightly structured.

My three big gripes with GTA4 were:

1.) The controls SUCKED. Calling them "sluggish" would be generous.

2.) When playing certain missions, they were HEAVILY scripted. There was no way to "solve" the mission other than EXACTLY what the developers wanted you to do. If you're supposed to have a big dramatic rooftop showdown with a dude, he will be invincible until he gets to the rooftop, even if you manage to get off a shot at him. For an allegedly "sandbox openworld ZOMG!!11!!" game, that was a serious black mark against it.

3.) The "sandbox" element didn't even do much for me. I didn't really care that I could go play darts with my annoying cousin, nor that I could shoot pigeons and whatnot. It was fun to jack a car now and then and go drive around town randomly, but the controls still made that annoying, and after a while it just felt pointless. Admittedly, I never got creative like "let's see if I can launch this Mack truck across the screen with a swingset" or "How many hookers can I light on fire today?"

It struck me that they spent so much time trying to make the world seem "alive" (and still failed, as far as I was concerned), and giving you so many minigames to do that they ended up not doing a good job with the core of the game.

I haven't played Red Dead Redemption, so I don't know if they've progressed, but I will admit that the lure of 1940s L.A. is strong, and the cast and apparent attention to creating a real noire feel is very very tempting. I'm just gunshy from GTA4 (especially after all the ridiculous hype it received...).

GTA4 was ok, still like san andreas better, but for a first attempt on a new system it wasnt that bad. I still havent played the original Red Deads, but I picked up the Undead Nightmare pack for it and was pretty impressed

I'm thinking of getting it and it's actually been advertised on Turner Classic Movies in one of their "coming soon" type short filler segments.

Seabass, how do the controls in Red Dead (or Undead nightmare at least) compare to GTA4? It always seemed to me like GTA4's controls were super sluggish, especially when driving. Like there was a split second lag between telling the avatar to do XYZ and it responding. And the camera took a second to reorient. Also, how's the "overly scripted" quality of it? Do you run into "No, you have to kill the badguy THIS way" issues?

Its tough to say since its different. No cars, but the horses are responsive (unless you get on a zombie horse lol). The combat element is way different too, with a slow mo mode for aiming your attacks and chaining them together if you choose. It can be difficult, since these zombies pretty much only die from headshots, but theyre all runners, so the slow motion is a must and sucks when it runs out hah.
As far as scripting, it doesnt seem like an issue. Most the goals involve clearing the zombies from a town, burning all the coffins in a cemetary, finding rare creature in the wild, etc. about the worst I seen is you have to be in the town to count kills as clearing it, cant stand way outside

Seabass, how do the controls in Red Dead (or Undead nightmare at least) compare to GTA4? It always seemed to me like GTA4's controls were super sluggish, especially when driving. Like there was a split second lag between telling the avatar to do XYZ and it responding. And the camera took a second to reorient. Also, how's the "overly scripted" quality of it? Do you run into "No, you have to kill the badguy THIS way" issues?

Red Dead is one of, if not the best game I've played. Period. I will pick this one up eventually, when budget allows.

Honestly though, from the commercial I saw the other day, the quality of the voice acting did not seem great, and maybe it's just me (or the trailer) but I was not impressed by the visuals all that much.

Ive been playing Red Dead Undead Nightmare. Nothing like a zombie cowboy shooting a blunderbuss full of people parts while stampeding zombies atop a rainbow wake leaving butterfly generating unicorn. And it has zombie hookers.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back