Koolshade sources

Glad some traction on this thread was gained. Being that the new stuff is still in production how have you all sourced that? I read in another thread the attempt to have them make the old pattern which seamed to fizzle out. Is there a source for the current material?

Merlin models is working on ROTJ AT-ST and Shuttle Tydirium replica models.
I know that the rear of the ROTJ AT-ST filming miniature model contains pieces of koolshade and the shuttle has a piece in the upper hull.
Maybe the people at Merlin models succeeded in replicating the Koolshade with success.
Maybe try contacting them.
For the "modern" 17 Louvre material,. I think that the company SmartLouvre in the uk still produces this .
The material is called "micro louvre koolshade"

Hi folks. If you want some newer 17 louvre material, i have a shed load of it. Ive had it some years now. Ill check out the current prices i can find online and make it much cheaper for you all. I think i have about a15 meter roll of it at 2m wide. Just holler if you want some. :)

So i just checked with the relevent folks here in the UK. Looks like trade is about 70 UK pounds/sq M. If you fancy some i will do it for 45 UK pounds /sqM. Not sure on the shipping prices it as its quite wide, so i will probably cut it into 1m squares or there abouts just so it can be shipped. Obviously if you fancy larger pieces its no worries. If theres any interest on here i will post a sales thread in the junkyard.

Cheers folks .

So i just checked with the relevent folks here in the UK. Looks like trade is about 70 UK pounds/sq M. If you fancy some i will do it for 45 UK pounds /sqM. Not sure on the shipping prices it as its quite wide, so i will probably cut it into 1m squares or there abouts just so it can be shipped. Obviously if you fancy larger pieces its no worries. If theres any interest on here i will post a sales thread in the junkyard.

Cheers folks .
I'd love to get in on this, sir!

I will get the roll down take images and measurements just so everyone is fully aware of what they will be getting, then ill post a sales page on the junkyard in the next couple of days. Just to be clear again, the version i have is the newer koolshade, not the original 70's stuff. Thanks for posting the interest on here folks. :)

Hello folks. Well on finding the roll, i found that i had grossly overestimated how much i had. I only have a remaining couple of meters which i am willing to sell. Sorry for the confusion about the quantity, i plumb forgot i had sold a load of it a while back.
Here are some images of the actual material i have here.
If you would like a square meter, or close. Its actually 93cm x 100cm.

Please PM me and ill sort it out.

Sorry about the confusion on the quantities, my old brain forgets things nowadays :)
IMG_5518.jpeg

IMG_5520.jpeg

IMG_5519.jpeg

Just to help out in case you may need a cutting template. This is the one i used on my last Tie Build.
I have resized this to fit the modern koolshade i have here, but will work with the old Koolshade also. This diagram shows the 93cmx100cm with the panels overlaid. correct directions and line positions for ANH version. Hope it helps out.
COOLSHADE CUT LAYOUT.jpg

Cheers folks .
Interested. Any idea on the shipping cost to USA?

Interested. Any idea on the shipping cost to USA?
I dont think i can facilitate any more of the newer Koolshade. The minimum quantities would be prohibitive for me to do that and mine has all gone now. So unfortunately i cant get any more to send out guys. Sorry about that.
I think the best way for purchasing in the US would be to set up a group purchase, buying a decent quantity from the UK makers.

Curious if any of the vintage Koolshade Tie Fighter guys would be willing to sell the leftover scraps to help with a MF build? If you've got scraps, PM me!
Anything even come of a machine being made to make NOS (uncoated) Koolshade, for was that dead in the water? I was going to ask if anyone knew if Koolsade is either anodized blacked or if it is painted? I wouldn't mind uncoated Koolshade. I'd use it for a side project, might be hard to paint it though. It would need to be chemically etched for primer because the stuff is too thin to sand and prep traditionally.

I have ~LOTS~ of the modern 17 pitch koolshade. Two full rolls of 1.25m x 1.00m. If anyone is interested in the new stuff, I have lots to spare and can make it cheap. I paid close to $1000 CAD for these two rolls once shipping and import duties are added to the purchase price. If I could get some of that back, it would help pay for some of these kits I have to buy LOL. :lol:

I did have someone offer to buy one of the rolls, but when it came payment time, he just ghosted. So I still have one unopened tube ready for shipping.

[edit] would also trade for a couple of required kits. I'm still after a proper HYUGA for the radar dish.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back