koolshade 23 louvres p/inch versus 17 louvres p/inch

Voodoocaster

I am about to purchase some koolshade for my tie fighter wings.
The koolshade i am being offered is the stuff produced today fresh from the uk factory,..so NOT the vintage stuff.
Will there be a huge difference visually between the vintage koolshade and the new koolshade?

I know that there is a difference in the amount of louvres used on the two.

My opinion is that the difference will only be noticable when the vintage and new material is seen side by side,..but when backed with black board on the tie-wings the new stuff will look the part.
RIGHT!? or WRONG!?
The koolshade won't be cheap,..so before i jump the wagon any feedback/opinions from you guys will be really appreciated.
Thanks for any help offered.

Not my picture but...

Koolshade2.jpg

I know that picture ! :D

The difference is huge you can clearly see through the new material even when you look perpendicularly at it, which is not the case of the vintage KS. However if you cant find the vintage one, the new one would look OK when backed with black cardboard.

I used the contemporary Koolshade (17 lvrs / in.) on the first TIE I built back in 2006. I don't think we even knew about the vintage stuff back then. The model got plenty of "wows". Is it accurate? No. But, you already knew that. In my opinion it will look fine. Judge for yourself, though:

tiefinal2.jpgtiefinal4.jpgtiefinal5.jpgwings.jpgwingstarfinal.jpg

Thanks Guys!
Suburban Machine Company,..Your Tie looks excellent.
The Sheen of the contemporary koolshade used on your tie really looks fine
and if i can't get my hands on the vintage stuff your photos have deffinitely convinced me to take the jump

Are there still sources for the vintage koolshade?
I thought that stuff was of the table?
The contemporay material will cost me $270 which will give me enough to build 2 sets of wings.
I only need material for one set though
They wont be able to sell me any less.
If there still is vintage koolshade obtainable will it be around the same price?

Again guys really helpfull :)

I believe the last of the vintage has been sourced and sold. You might PM member "dragnink". BTW, the vintage Koolshade was roughly four times as much cost-wise.

Wow,..four times:eekOf the table then!
I will settle with the contemporary material,..looks authentic enough.
Thanks for the info people!

Steve Neisen has reproduced the vintage koolshade as a 3d printed surrogate, but nobody has seen the stuff yet. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum, process the info and then make a decision ;) But IMO the contemporary stuff doesseem to work if you´re not "hard core" :p

Does anyone know a current U.S. distributor that sells the newer 17 louver? I see a few of them on google but want to make sure it's the right stuff.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back