Klean Klay question

hez1

Question for all you users of the klean klay, how does the firmness compare with the chavant clay? From what I understand it's a little softer, but does that mean firm klean klay is on par with the regular chavant, for example? Is it suitable for sculpting a bio for instance? It's half the price of the chavant clay, so while I do not want to economise to the point of using something that isn't really suitable, if it IS suitable then I've saved myself a handy amount of cash...

Any advice is much appreciated!

I have both here Paul, and your spot on.

Hard Klean seems to be roughly on a par with my Chavant Medium NSP.

with the Mid Klean being the same as Soft Chavant.

Soft Klean is again softer obviously.

Id go with the Hard Klean, but thats just me, as i figure im clumsy so do not want my details squished easily :p

ive got some of it as well and would suggest the hard/firm that usurper suggests. ive used some to sculpt a small marquette of a bio i plan on making and its pretty decent to work with. its a different texture to chavant as well kinda reminds me of a putty like substants.

well i used alchohol on it and it work fine, it just left a lot of brush marks but i just smoothed it out with my fingers

Heat gun! swing it from far away moving around areas you want to smooth out tool marks.
Its better to use hard clay cuz u can soften it with a Heat gun. The clay is little bit warm and you can block in your big shapes.

Sculpting is FUN!

Well, I just ordered 15lbs of it, so hopefully I like it. When it comes to chavant I prefer the soft, so I went with the regular firmness. Plus, chavant clay just pissed me off by impeding the curing of the silicone on a mold I did today. :p Suppose I should have sealed it, but that's why I got NSP in the first place...

Yeah you should seal it. Its become an unshakable habit for me to spray Clear Coat on anything I just finished.
I seal the clay sculpt , the finished plaster armature, the mother mold, the finished paint job, I even think about sealing duct tape dummy
one time I even tried to seal a new born baby at the hospital... but good thing the nurses stopped me :p

sorry to hear you had trouble Hez.

Never had any problems with chavant screwing with silicone here in the UK, i used chavant on all my wall plaques and several other things molded in silicone, not once did i seal them :p

Well, I got my klean klay, this stuff is great. For the record, the regular firmness is actually softer than chavants 'soft'. It's worked out pretty well though, since I'm not great at sculpting, and end up removing a lot of what I put down, reshaping etc. I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew as a first sculpt, but time will tell I guess. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back