Kenobi TV series Darth Vader armor and helmet

I'm surprised there's not more talk about a whole new Darth Vader costume! Maybe folks haven't watched yet.
Vader spends much of his time in the dark so it's a bit hard to see detail. I attempted to get some reference photos and brighten them up for ease of viewing. Not as aesthetic as the raw screenshots, but hopefully helpful in discerning the features of this new costume.

vaderobi.jpg
vaderobi3.jpg
vaderobi2.jpg
vaderobi5.jpg
vaderobi6.jpg
vaderobi4.jpg
vaderobi7.jpg

I don't mind the dome and mask remaining attached to each other when lowered into place, OTHER than the problem with the tubes not slotting into place correctly once it was down. That did hurt what was otherwise a cool shot.

I think the problem with comparing it to how it was shown in ESB is that the ESB version did not separate along the same lines between the mask and jaw portions. The ROTJ/ROTS design requires the mask to come down at a bit of an angle, and then angle back down and translate forward a bit to engage the tube connections. A straight down translation, with the dome attached, just isn't going to work right for this reason. I still think they could have fixed it in post, though.

Anyway, I don't see any reason to assume that the dome and mask are one piece just because the dome was lowered pre-attached to the mask in this case. I also think it kinda works to only see the dome separate twice ever- when the helmet goes on for the first time in ROTS, and comes off for the last time in ROTJ.

Other than that, the gunmetal portions on the mask look a little too bright silver, especially when lit from below by the fires.

Overall, I think it easily looks better than the Rogue One or ROTS costumes, and Vader really felt like Vader here, for me.

I'm wondering just how much we are seeing Hayden in the suit, though. Might there have been somebody taller, just for full body shots, or a stuntman for action shots?

I wonder if Hayden was actually on screen for much in the first 3 episodes. I suspect there will be more flashback scenes coming up where we see his face.

I think Vader looks great. As great as he's looked in years...

...That is, when he's standing up and staying still. I'm seeing pics of him moving and sitting and, man, does it looks dorky. The fit when he's static just crumples and it looks like a boy in dad's clothes. Lighting from beneath looks a big rough too.

I do love this suit, but I have a question for serious Star Wars fans - is the helmet styled after Rouge 1, ROTS or the original trilogy?
Also, what colour are the lenses?

I do love this suit, but I have a question for serious Star Wars fans - is the helmet styled after Rouge 1, ROTS or the original trilogy?
Also, what colour are the lenses?
The helmet's dome is ESB style, while the face is R1 style (meaning smooth brow not pointy, although the mask retains the smaller ANH/R1 chin vent). Marketing and merchandise have indicated that the lenses are dark red, but the previous episode's lighting was too dark for that to be seen if true.

Other notes:
-Inner robes worn under the armor like ESB. In the episode it looked like it was smooth without pleats, but BTS shot looks like it does have the pleats, so I dunno.
-Chest armor with potentially a unique shape, flatter above the box in the front (similar to changes made to RotS Vader's armor, though obviously much closer to OT).
-Chest box without straps, like how the RotS version was attached (although the box itself is still ANH/R1 style) and now with lights too.
-Entirely new cod piece, fairly unique in the realm of vader dick armor. Very wrinkly.
-ANH-style lightsaber.

Last edited:
The helmet's dome is ESB style, while the face is R1 style (meaning smooth brow not pointy, although the mask retains the smaller ANH/R1 chin vent). Marketing and merchandise have indicated that the lenses are dark red, but the previous episode's lighting was too dark for that to be seen if true.

Other notes:
-Inner robes worn under the armor like ESB. In the episode it looked like it was smooth without pleats, but BTS shot looks like it does have the pleats, so I dunno.
-Chest armor with potentially a unique shape, flatter above the box in the front (similar to changes made to RotS Vader's armor, though obviously much closer to OT).
-Chest box without straps, like how the RotS version was attached (although the box itself is still ANH/R1 style).
-Entirely new cod piece, fairly unique in the realm of vader dick armor. Very wrinkly.
-ANH-style lightsaber.
I would describe the wrinkly cod piece texture as “4 day old bell pepper”…

49F23930-C638-4977-A7EA-6B8CCBF7384C.jpeg
CDC7516B-112A-4459-B7F4-57F179F858B0.jpeg

According to one of the fans I spoke with on the Obi-Wan Series Facebook costuming groups he has a friend who worked on the production. What they told him was that at least one of the Vader suits was the very same that they used for Rogue One and they had it shipped to the UK for filming. Just in case that may be of help for anyone looking to replicate this suit.

So what's interesting though is that the shoulder armor and helmet are symmetrical. It can't be the Rogue One Vader unless they're reusing the leather suit stuff. And the dome might be like the ESB one, but it has the thick flares of an ANH dome. Just spouting thoughts.

According to one of the fans I spoke with on the Obi-Wan Series Facebook costuming groups he has a friend who worked on the production. What they told him was that at least one of the Vader suits was the very same that they used for Rogue One and they had it shipped to the UK for filming. Just in case that may be of help for anyone looking to replicate this suit.
Maybe to reuse much of it like the leathers and cape, although it's clear that several parts are not the same (dome/chest/cod/box). And with three different people all wearing the suit for different shots/purposes, there's definitely going to be more than one suit. Possibly more than three. I'm sure you're right that R1 parts are in the mix somewhere.

Last edited:
I have no doubts that they may have mixed and matched, or even created new pieces just for this show. I was just relaying what was told to me third hand in the hopes it might help people here trying to ID certain parts.

Does anybody have any better view of his saber? I know he it has black side bars and no wires but I'm tryna figure out are there different thmbscrews? is the bubble card different? etc.

Last edited:
I've always felt that the suit differences could be explained (in universe at least) by him having multiple versions of it with components that are mixed/matched based on whats available or has been damaged. If he needs the thing to survive you'd kinda hope he at least has some backups! At work I have several shirts and jackets with my company branding on, from various suppliers, that look the same at a glance but have a few differing details when you look close. Could easily be the same for the big man!

I think Vader looks great. As great as he's looked in years...

...That is, when he's standing up and staying still. I'm seeing pics of him moving and sitting and, man, does it looks dorky. The fit when he's static just crumples and it looks like a boy in dad's clothes. Lighting from beneath looks a big rough too.
about that comment heres why he looks like that, theres too little chain on the cape so theres not much of a gap on the necks (which reminds me of a Kenner toy I have) and added to the fact the cape is 3/4 circle instead of 1/2 means that its bound to look awkward in scenes and thanks to 'VitalNonsense' for his HD close up images I can give you an example of what I'm trying to say (not the best but you get the idea)

Here you can see how much excess cape material there is bunching up.

InkedVader example_LI.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back