Karolian Dry Goods Surplus - Han Solo Gloves

Egon

Sr Member
Hello all,

This project has been a long time coming!

For awhile, it has been said that Han Solo wore ladies Dent's driving gloves in ANH.

I searched up and down for a few years for a set, with one popping up here maybe 18 months ago(?) but they were a bit out of my price range.

Along my search, I came across ONE photo of gloves that looked identical to Hans, although in a different color.

There were some details on these that differed from the Ladies model.

In a stroke of parallel thinking, a friend of mine (I don't know their handle here, sorry!) got in contact with Dents to see if they could dig up reference.

Knowing that, I provided this fella with the one photo I had, and the archivist confirmed they made that design.

He tried to get Dents to manufacture a new set, or revive that model, but so far they have been unresponsive.

Still having the itch, I reached out to a glove maker to see if I could have a custom pair made with the specs and details of the photo I found. While they wouldn't match the color for just two pairs, I decided to see how they were anyways. And boy, they delivered!

I ended up ordering a few dozen pairs so we could get a better color, and they just arrived yesterday!

I did have to make one design sacrifice for their construction due to limitation the maker had, but that actually matches the Solo ASWS construction, so I consider them canon. I know this will turn some folks off, but such is life.

Long story short, I was able to get a run made of very accurate, and incredibly well made Solo style gloves.

The color is fantastic, and again, the quality is beyond my expectations.

The leather is Italian full grain sheepskin leather, dyed in the alanine process. Made in Europe.

If you're interested in this limited run, below are links to purchase. This run is very limited, and I already sold out of a few sizes, but if there is interest, I will start another run immediately.

Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• FE2E7B4A-C5C7-470E-8D85-83B371C662E4.jpeg
    FE2E7B4A-C5C7-470E-8D85-83B371C662E4.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 02240E1B-FB8E-4C8D-9C84-4657F54FB355.jpeg
    02240E1B-FB8E-4C8D-9C84-4657F54FB355.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 78
Awesome! I love my Magnoli gloves, and I’ve actually got two pair of them. How accurate are your sizes, and what’s your recommendation for properly measuring our hands?

I think I’m in between an 8.5 and a 9…

I would recommend the classic glove measurement rule of thumb (no pun intended)

Measure the length of your hand from the base of the wrist to the top of your longest finger. Measure around your palm. Use the larger measurement.

If you're between sizes, I would recommend sizing down. I am finding that because they don't have an elastic on the cuff (accurate to Hans) it helps the back of the hand lay flat.
E641E6BC-217F-4489-9142-80377B05BF49.jpeg

Nicely done E. You totally nailed the color. I love my Magnoli’s too (after you weather them with Peckards) although I find you have to retouch them periodically to keep the right shade. Can I ask what the design difference was between ANH and SAAWS? Do you by chance have any of the screenshots you looked at for comparison?

Nicely done E. You totally nailed the color. I love my Magnoli’s too (after you weather them with Peckards) although I find you have to retouch them periodically to keep the right shade. Can I ask what the design difference was between ANH and SAAWS? Do you by chance have any of the screenshots you looked at for comparison?
I tried attaching some screen shots in the post, but for some reason only my photos were added. I'm going to try on my desktop tomorrow!

The different is the stitching on the fingers.

On the Solo ASWS they are stitched inside, and the ANH they're stitched outside.

While I see a LOT, I haven't done gloves, so I'm not exactly sure why there was this limitation on the design, but the sewist had to sew them with the seam allowance on the inside.

The attached photos aren't mine - but the Dents set is from the Dr. Who screengrab which are believed to be the same model as the ANH (I don't have any good grabs on my phone at the moment)

Attachments

• 21452D50-A703-4608-B394-B2ED7429E76A.jpeg
    21452D50-A703-4608-B394-B2ED7429E76A.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 0298E8C6-82BC-4DA2-B2C8-0D2AAF44E681.jpeg
    0298E8C6-82BC-4DA2-B2C8-0D2AAF44E681.jpeg
    641.5 KB · Views: 92

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back