Kai, Lloyd & Zane from Ninjago: child's costume thread

Re: Child's Costume: Kai from Ninjago

Looks great!
I'm going the more ambitious route and doing the full KAI ZX armored costume and dragon sword. I've been sleeping 4 hour nights all week and still got a lot to do.
I'll be entering my son into saturday's costume contest, so maybe I'll see you there!

Re: Child's Costume: Kai and Lloyd from Ninjago

I think this one is going out to the ladies. I thought about using cups way back at the beginning and then chickened out, but gues what? Wal-Mart has gold duct tape.

17292-20121019-184608.jpg

stacked my cups
17290-20121019-184111.jpg

my wife gave me some foam sticky spacers that they use for scrap booking
17291-20121019-184117.jpg

Wrapped the cups in duct and stuck the spacers low
17293-20121019-185915.jpg

17294-20121019-190106.jpg

Looks AWESOME! Man, I gotta hurry and finish MINE!

How did you do the snake on the back?

I used an iron-on transfer for the snake :) Scaled up the image on the computer, made it look nice, and printed it on transfer paper meant to go on colored fabric - worked great! Wish I'd made it a bit smaller though...

Your gold armor looks awesome! I'm not totally happy with the dimensions of mine (wish they were spaced farther apart like yours) or how they sit on his shoulders, but he's kind of over me trying things out ;) Looking forward to seeing some other finished costumes :)

Re: Child's Costume: Kai and Lloyd from Ninjago

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've been working on Zane (the white ninja):

Zane_ZX.jpg

I didn't take progress pics for a true "build thread", but I basically started with a white karate uniform, added a muslin strip around the edge of the jacket, and a brown canvas duck cloth pocket with gold stitch detailing. The belt is also just a long piece of the same brown canvas threaded through the pocket, which is open at both ends.

The mask is white cotton twill, sewn from a home-made pattern, with a gold-painted foam armor piece hand-sewn on.

The shurikens of ice (throwing stars) that fit in the pocket are also painted foam, from a pattern I made.

The swords and sword-holder began life as the Rubies Ninja weapon backpack. I painted the weapon-holder, the buckle and the sword parts gold, and made some muslin straps to cinch it around the chest. It is held to the jacket with velcro in the back.

The shoulder armor pieces are gold-painted foam wrapped around a cut cup (similar to other posters above), and held on by velcro. They tend to fall toward the back, so they're a bit hard to see in the front-facing photo.

I couldn't find any white kung-fu type shoes for kids, so he's just wearing his brown leather sandals, but I think they look kind of cool.

Thanks to all the above posters for the continued inspiration... hope you enjoy!!

zane1.jpg

zane2.jpg

zane3.jpg

I like the square washer the best, but it might be hard to attach. Are you going to sew it on, or glue it? I found silver star sequins at Joann's, so I'm going to sew them on with black thread and say its close enough. I would have loved to have found silver square buttons (and might still check out etsy), but the sequins were cheap and easy.

Oh, and if you want the image of the serpent on the back of Lloyd's costume, I scaled it up to print onto an iron on transfer - I'd be happy to email you a copy :)
Hi... I just found this forum while searching for help making the Green Ninja outfit too...
Any chance you'd share the iron-on transfer file? Looks great in the final result! Thanks!

My completed pauldron armor (wish it wasn't so bumpy)

17464-20121024-081812.jpg

Our new shopping finds

17462-20121023-194007.jpg

Yellow hat will be the curved "spike" on the head armor

Red belty stuff will be the 2 belts

Red vinyl will be the upper shoulder padding

Reference

17479-kai-zxs-head.png

kicking the costume making into over-drive, shoulder padding almost done. I will need to get a gold paint pen and illustrate the scroll work he has

17478-untitled.jpg

Last edited:
17480-img-4626.jpg

still need to work on the edging, the belts, complete the hood and find an option for the sword mount in the back.... in 2 days

Sure, just PM me your email address :)
I signed up for this forum just to ask you for the iron-on transfer file. I looked for hours for those symbols on the web to use and no luck. You're my only hope. I have two boys, one wants to be the Green Ninja, one Red Ninja. I'm just adding details to the costumes now and I think the iron-on transfer will really make a difference! Thank you!

Okay, I emailed the 2 people who sent me a PM :) I just realized I can attach an image to my post, so I'll post the serpent for Lloyd's costume here too - not sure if the quality is good, but hopefully it will work for anyone else who wants it :)

ETA - quality looks good, just make sure to click on it a few times to get the highest resolution before saving to your computer :)

this is the mess that is our dinning room table (good thing we only have the 1 kid)

17492-messytable.jpg

So here is how the pauldron is turning out so far

17491-20121024-193520.jpg

The gray edging on the Gi is quilt or blanket edging my wife ironed flat and then ran around the edge of the Gi. We are going to add gold paint pen leaf to the face of it and then velcro the shoulder armor on.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back