Just finished watching Smallville - What did you think?

Well, because of this thread I downloaded and watched this episode and you know what - I'll never trust anything said here again. From credit to credit I felt like The Tick had returned to tv. I know what you're thinking - "waitaminute, Jet - didn't you write Sky High" - Yes, but Smallville always prided itself in not going into flight and tight land - after watching this JLA episode there is no reason in the world Clark shouldn't be zipping around town and have an army of Super-robots that look just like him.

There were two things I liked and both had nothing to do with story - Fate's helmet and Starman's Star Rod - I'd love to have one of those - anybody ever done one? Green Lantern's ring were nice touches but this did come off as Lois and Clark (yep the one with Dean Cain) meets the Tick.

As a person who last watched Smallville five years ago what happened to all the wide open space the show one had. everything - EVERYTHING is backlot, and worse than that - Canadian back lot. Looking too set-y always kills Superhero stuff for me - that's why Begins and Dark Knight were so good - real world landscape.

And where is Lana - she was the hottest chick on the show??

You see that a lot these days. Seems like 1/2 the stuff on these days uses blatant backlot stuff. There was a show on a couple years ago where the main characters were supposedly in a difference city ever week - but you could tell clear as day they were all backlot shots.

I'd have to guess shooting in downtown Vancouver costs a boatload more than shooting in the open fields of where smallville was. It's easier for TDK to shoot in actual cities since they can spend 200M for their 2 hours of footage. I doubt the spend 200M for the 22ish hours of smallive's season.

Gotta say, though, I agree with the point that if every other hero they've got has a tights and full powers, so should clark. Then again, it's not the writers keeping him out of the uniform and on the ground.

I thought it was great, and was probably one of the top ten episodes of the entire run of the series. For me, watching that episode really put into perspective how far the show has come since its first two or three seasons.

I can see how it's not for everyone, it's not a perfect show. But it's a lot of fun, and they are doing a really great job in the past few seasons of bringing the DC universe to life.

Martian Manhunter has been a recurring character for years now, with an entire episode of one season dedicated to an internal corruption battle he was fighting with the Met PD. Pretty good episode.

I think in general, while smallville doesn't do a LITERALLY translation from page to screen, they manage to capture the essence and flavor of the character while updating it for the show and its target audience. It isn't always a perfect fit, but it sure beats "Birds of Prey" lol

So do we have to wait till the final episode to see what happened/s after Clark jumped off of the Statue of Liberty from the start of the season. Is it just a tease that the final scene will be him flying off to his destiny?

Well, because of this thread I downloaded and watched this episode and you know what - I'll never trust anything said here again. From credit to credit I felt like The Tick had returned to tv. I know what you're thinking - "waitaminute, Jet - didn't you write Sky High" - Yes, but Smallville always prided itself in not going into flight and tight land - after watching this JLA episode there is no reason in the world Clark shouldn't be zipping around town and have an army of Super-robots that look just like him.

There were two things I liked and both had nothing to do with story - Fate's helmet and Starman's Star Rod - I'd love to have one of those - anybody ever done one? Green Lantern's ring were nice touches but this did come off as Lois and Clark (yep the one with Dean Cain) meets the Tick.

As a person who last watched Smallville five years ago what happened to all the wide open space the show one had. everything - EVERYTHING is backlot, and worse than that - Canadian back lot. Looking too set-y always kills Superhero stuff for me - that's why Begins and Dark Knight were so good - real world landscape.

And where is Lana - she was the hottest chick on the show??

Jet, you're just now beginning to not trust our opinions? :lol Serves you right for not learning that lesson a long time ago! At least I only liked parts of it and pretty much nothing featuring Hawkman... :angel

Jet, you're just now beginning to not trust our opinions? :lol Serves you right for not learning that lesson a long time ago! At least I only liked parts of it and pretty much nothing featuring Hawkman... :angel

Truth told I've followed the lead of my brothers and sisters here on more than a few occasions. I never would have seen Moon without reading through a thread here first and i loved that movie. I've tried Firefly, Galactica and Heroes because so many people here truly believe those shows are the cat's pajamas, but for some reason they just didn't click with me. The last Smallville i saw was the one with Aquaman - didn't keep me watching so I've now tried it again, but like the hot dog place up the road - it just doesn't digest well.

Hawkman was the pickle in that sour milk, wasn't he? My God, how could they not find someone else? I would have liked Martian Manhunter more if his lines were better and just a tip to the people who make this - never show a Green Lantern to the audience then all you do with him is have him arrested!!!!

Not that this has anything to do with Smallville but tonight II happened to stumble across my old VHS copy of How to Draw comics THE MARVEL WAY where John Romita and Stan Lee give you the 411 on what it takes to be a Marvel artist - I don't know about you, but listening to their directions, scribbling on a piece of paper then looking up at some masterpiece Romita doodled in 5 seconds is a sure way to quash any hopes you may have of penciling Doctor Strange for a living. but Stan Lee is the true star here - MAKE MINE MARVEL!!!!

So do we have to wait till the final episode to see what happened/s after Clark jumped off of the Statue of Liberty from the start of the season. Is it just a tease that the final scene will be him flying off to his destiny?

There is no follow up to that scene. Clark was in a virtual training environment that Jor-El had created, and he was testing his ability to fly. The simulation ended right before he would have face-planted, and it was then that he hasked Jor-El why he hasn't yet developed the ability to fly.

So yeah, that's not really a dangling plot point, just a way to get that topic off the table for the season, as fans have been clamoring for an answer.

Matt, I guess I wasn't paying attention at that point. I didn't realize it was a simulation. I thought they were showing a "flash forward" ,or the present was him at the statue and the rest of the season leads up to it. Not that he hasn't flow before (though "Clark" wasn't himself) I thought that would be a cool way to end it.

I want to see this but I still can't stand Smallville over all. Its way too Dawsons Creek than it is Superman.

For a dude who takes the time to post this same thought in every smallville thread on this forum, I would have thought you'd have found at least one opportunity to give it a try.

if you think it's too "Dawsons creek", then you obviously haven't been watching it lately. No sweat though, if it's not your cup of tea, I'm ok with that :) just a shame that you are missing out on the fun because of a false notion.

EVERYTHING is backlot, and worse than that - Canadian back lot. Looking too set-y always kills Superhero stuff for me
It'll horrify you to learn that the city backlot actually looks a lot BETTER this year than it has for the last couple of seasons. It was even more obvious before!

One street, four (never-changing) storefronts long = bustling metropolis. :rolleyes

Supernatural has made a crack or two about that stuff on their show--there was an episode supposedly set on a Hollywood movie lot, where the characters remarked that it was oddly overcast for southern California. They even said it felt more like Canada. :lol

Noticed it was a ROTJ suit. Geeky sad, I know. :lol
The chin vocoder thingie had slots in it to see/breathe through.

And then she goes to the ladies room and changes into another costume, without carrying any armor bin or anything to or from.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back