Jurassic Park Arch

Krest

Ever since I first went to Disneyland (Paris in my case) I wanted to live in a Themepark. So when my iPhone decided to play the 'Jurassic Park' theme on my bus ride home, I wanted to build the Jurassic Park Gate – because why not?

My garden is devided in a front and a back part sice the beginning, but I never had a great idea for seperating the two parts. Now I do.

Step 1: Planning & First Mockup

I didn't do much planning other that looking at some reference pictures.

I wasn't even sure if I had enough plywood, but lukyly, I did. The availiable amout of plywood was the deciding factor of how big the gate could becom.
In my stash I had 3 large sheets of plywood. I cut them so one becam the two middle sections and the other two became a bottom and a top section each. then i screwed them to the already existing fence, stacked behind each other. Then I cut a rough test for the arch.

As you might see, the proportions where a bit off, to I marked each part, so they all where equal in height.

The cat 'Babu' didn't do anything helpful.

FS8A2JMJ98RIMKH.LARGE.jpg
F32DPS0J98RIO3V.LARGE.jpg

Step 2: Le Arch

I used Illustrator to trace the contours of the original gate from a high res screenshot (thanks Blu-Ray™) and imported that into the Silhouette Studio software to cut it from vinyl on my Silhouette Portrait.

Since I had only smaller pieces of plywood left, I had to connect two of them to be wide enough for the arch.

First I cut out the contour of the arch itself and marked the position of the letters with some spraypaint.

After test-fitting I cut out the letters. My wife sanded them down a little and attached them with some dabs of wood glue. I also put in some screws.

F80LIARJ98RILE6.LARGE.jpg
FKUHG8RJ98RILDZ.LARGE.jpg
FC9611OJ98RILGF.LARGE.jpg
F1KI3NPJ98RILMW.LARGE.jpg
FQUM4RFJ98RILP4.LARGE.jpg

Step 3: Painting

In the first round I painted the whole thing with a terracotta paint which I had standing around. This is just a primer and to seal it all up a little. A little green gloss spraypaint was used to further seal some of the edges.

I know that this will only slow things down and the whole gate will rot sooner or later, but you can always build another one, right?

The we reassembled it and put on some more paint. A grey base this time. Things started to look really cool now.

FNY416UJ98RILIM.LARGE.jpg
FVDCGP6J98RILZR.LARGE.jpg
FDTASQGJ98RIM25.LARGE.jpg

Step 4: It's in the Details

I mixed up a much darker grey for the next step. Using the grey, black, burnt umber, some greens and reds, I weatherd the gate and drew on some cracks and stuff.

The faces of the letters were painted yellow and the red text was stenciled on. I was starting to get cold so the vinyl started to get brittle, but it all worked out fine.

Everything was weatherd a final time.

Add some dramatic lighting and enjoy. All in all this took 3 days, most of it due to paint drying.

Maybe I'll add the actual gates some day ...

FA2ATY8J98RIM4D.LARGE.jpg
FE7UQ9IJ98RIMCS.LARGE.jpg
FYU6CDEJ98RIMJE.LARGE.jpg
FWZH1RCJ98RIMH4.LARGE.jpg
F22X80UJ98RIMJG.LARGE.jpg

Attachments

• Gate_Entrance.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 126
Great job! I built what I think is about a "half scale" Jurassic Park Arch/Gateway to go behind my Jurassic Park Jeep when I display it at conventions and other activities. Each block is three sides, made of plywood, with hinges so they will fold down and lay flat when traveling. Like you, I am thinking of a way to permanently display it at my home, though its tough to keep it out of the rain as too tall to fit into a normal building but I do have a barn I might be able to fit it in.

Attachments

• muldoon2 (small).png
    muldoon2 (small).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back