Jurassic Park Amber Chunk? How to make or WTB?

belloq

Sr Member
Amber chunk like the one they find in the beginning of JP- I've seen them in JP collections in the past but never found a source. Does anyone know if this is or has been offered? If not, does anyone have a connection to the original mold or sources for good reference photos? Thanks.

Originally posted by belloq@Dec 7 2005, 01:37 PM
Amber chunk like the one they find in the beginning of JP- I've seen them in JP collections in the past but never found a source. Does anyone know if this is or has been offered? If not, does anyone have a connection to the original mold or sources for good reference photos? Thanks.
[snapback]1130722[/snapback]​

I remember Rylo (Chest Rockwell) working with another member a while back to offer the amber topped canes like the one carried by Richard Attenborough's character. Maybe he can assist you with further information.

Bruce

The guy from Europe (Germany?) who sells the canes on Ebay also does the amber chunks. If you email him I'm sure he will knock one out for you.

I got one of his canes from him some time ago and really liked it. Then I thought the amber chunk would be a nice prop to go along with it, so I emailed him. The next thing I knew, he hooked up with someone and they were going to do a run of them for some pretty good dollars. I don't remember what now. I saw him sell a few on Ebay too.

Hope that helps.

Well, I am the one who helped Rylo with the cane tops. My buddy has a mold ready for the amber chunk, but just needs to find time to pour it. I'll give him a kick in the arse for y'all.

BTW, Montagar gets the first pour, he's been waiting for quite some time for this one.

Originally posted by czjxm7@Dec 7 2005, 03:18 PM
Well, I am the one who helped Rylo with the cane tops. My buddy has a mold ready for the amber chunk, but just needs to find time to pour it. I'll give him a kick in the arse for y'all.

BTW, Montagar gets the first pour, he's been waiting for quite some time for this one.
[snapback]1130788[/snapback]​

Thanks for chiming in. I knew it was a joint effort (my favorite kind.) on Rylo and someone else's part.

Do you have some more big honkin' bugs for that amber? :lol

Thanks for the tips. I haven't checked ebay for a while so that's a good bet. czjxm, I look forward to any further info regarding your friend's mold/castings. Thanks again.

Originally posted by czjxm7@Dec 7 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by czjxm7@Dec 7 2005, 01:18 PM

Speaking of Montagar... :lol ...thanks for the nod to my "place in line" so to speak. :thumbsup

Czjxm, Were you the one also responsible for catching those fine specimans of South Carolina's State Bird?. :lol

Originally posted by apollo@Dec 7 2005, 07:43 PM
Czjxm, Were you the one also responsible for catching those fine specimans of South Carolina's State Bird?.  :lol
[snapback]1131040[/snapback]​

:lol

Originally posted by apollo@Dec 7 2005, 11:43 PM
Czjxm, Were you the one also responsible for catching those fine specimans of South Carolina's State Bird?.  :lol

Yep, I caught some, and some fellow RPF'ers sent some to me. Some of those buggers were huge. And Joint effort is an understatement. My buddy did a good deal of the legwork, as far as casting and such, I just turned into the middle man it seems. But once Rylo set our tops into his canes, AAAAHHHHHH. It was magic. One hell of a product came out of it all. One of the best board collaberated projects I've seen in a while.

Originally posted by czjxm7@Dec 8 2005, 06:55 AM
One hell of a product came out of it all. One of the best board collaberated projects I've seen in a while.
[snapback]1131349[/snapback]​

Yes it was a perfect example of just what this Community can do.

It was a beautiful piece... :)

Originally posted by czjxm7+Dec 8 2005, 11:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(czjxm7 @ Dec 8 2005, 11:55 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-apollo
@Dec 7 2005, 11:43 PM

Yep, I caught some, and some fellow RPF'ers sent some to me. Some of those buggers were huge. And Joint effort is an understatement. My buddy did a good deal of the legwork, as far as casting and such, I just turned into the middle man it seems. But once Rylo set our tops into his canes, AAAAHHHHHH. It was magic. One hell of a product came out of it all. One of the best board collaberated projects I've seen in a while.
[snapback]1131349[/snapback]​
[/b]

here in SC all Rylo and Czjxm had to do was walk down to the marsh when the sun was going down, remove his shirt for 5 minutes, then let some one wipe them off their backs into a bag. :p

note: make sure you are chained to your car while doing this for saftey. :lol

around here the joke is you hear the mesqu. flying over your head saying " are we gonna eat him here or take him with us for later" :angel

john :cool

OK boys and girls, give me a day or so and I'll upload the pics from my camera. We've got one hell of a prototype for you guy's to look at. The amber chunk is not modeled after the screen used piece, more of an artistic license was used, but fantastic none the less. Slightly polised on one side, so that the frankenbug is visible. This thing is too cool.

Here's our prototype. What do you think?

ambernew3.JPG

Screencaps:

The one found in the amber mine:

jpbug1.jpg

The one drilled into by JP scientists:

jpbug2.jpg

Looks like the second one might have fake wings ... No veins.

-Mike

Here's one that popped up on Ebay awhile back... Odd, the wings look to be added as well. Scratch that... It appears that the whole insect maybe fake.

f5_3.JPG

Don't remember who the seller was. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Now looking at screen caps, ours is a bit more orange than the original. But, it does match our cane tops. I think the flash is overemphasising the color.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back