Juggernaut Bio Sculpt - Started Painting!

Minor update...no pics though.

Pretty much done with the sculpt except for a few areas and will be tightening up the details and smoothening it out over the course of the next few days. Hopefully will be molding it within a week or two and casting the first one up once I get the funds for some resin.

I'm going to try a different method for the mothermold and am going to try plaster of paris. I think it should create a stronger mothermold.

I'm anxious to see it cast up, but am more willing to wait to knock out the final details.

Hey Munson, will you be doing step by step with the molding and casting process?

...what exactly is a "mothermold"? squeeeeeeee...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Munson, will you be doing step by step with the molding and casting process?

...what exactly is a "mothermold"? squeeeeeeee...!

Sure, I could do a step by step.

The mother mold is the hard mold that the silicon mold sits on. You would first seal your sculpt and wait for the sealer to dry. Then you would apply brushable silicon on top of your sculpt. The first layer is your detailed coat so you would want to use a small brush so you pick up the small details. The second and third layer of silicon you start to build up the thickness of your silicon. The fourth layer I add silicon thickener and really place it into the areas like the eyes and undercuts so that I cam make the silicon mold smooth so the mothermold doesn't get hung up on it. After the fouth layer, I'll usually do 2 more layers and add the mold keys into the second to last layer. I wait until the silicon is a tacky to start the next step and you want to make sure your layers are smooth. With the silicon layer being flimsy, you need a hard mold for it to sit it. After the last silicon layer has fully cured, I spray on mold release again onto the silicon mold. I then proceed to do a mothermold. A mothermold is the hard mold that you place the silicon mold into before you cast a resin piece, such as a bio. Before I used a fiberglass mold and I want to try a plaster mold. I believe there are some tutorial videos out there. The video I'm going by for the mothermold was done by Predator666thepain666.

EDIT: Not having the bottom of the snout in more like the concept art is still bothering me. haha, But I'm probably going to stick with it as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Errr, isn't POP rather brittle? Why not epoxy resin/fiber glass? Dude, they make boats like that. Perhaps your'e just not putting on enough layers and rolling out the air properly...

Update....this time with pics! :D

I think I'm to the point where I can call the sculpt 95% complete. The only things that I really have to do yet is to tighten up the lines, smooth the overall bio, and make sure everything is correct. I had a lot of fun sculpting the bio and really want to thank Rob for permitting me to do it, as well as using the concept in a suit built. It was a blast and it made me realize how much I miss sculpting bios. I believe it's my best sculpt to date as well.

I'm going to mold/cast the blades up separetely from the bio sculpt itself. I'm thinking of doing a peg/hole concept in order to attach the blades to the bio and then enforcing it with super glue [comments are more then welcome].

Now onto the pics

Concept Art by Rob:
Clark12-R1-047-22.jpg

Sculpt:
2012-06-27_23-31-48_319.jpg

2012-06-27_23-30-30_950.jpg

2012-06-27_23-33-27_686.jpg

2012-06-27_23-32-42_157.jpg

2012-06-27_23-33-09_592.jpg

Again, many thanks to Rob for allowing me to sculpt his great artwork!

Thanks for viewing and your kind comments, I greatly appreciate.

I plan on mixing the clay together to form one color and working on some tracker armor [thigh armor, cannon already sculpted and waiting to be molded]. I have obtained permission from Jason "PredatrHunter" to sculpt two of his concepts....and I can not wait!

Boar Cousin [has a Viking feel to it, like "Thor"]:
Brother_Boars_Long_Long_Cousin_by_PredatrHuntr.jpg

Boar 3 [has a "Borg Bio" feel to it with the mech looking snout/grill]:

Boar3.jpg

Man that's looking fanfreakingtastic! Looking at the pic, there are a couple things I saw that I wanted to share with you:

2012-06-27_23-30-30_950.jpg

1 - are they eyes the same length? Maybe its the angle but the one on the right looks a tad longer.
2 - the red line is covering an area where I can see a bit of clay. All the other areas inside that part look good. Again, may be the lighting
3 - I don't know if this is just the angle, but the two round parts on the mouth look off...the right one looks higher
4 - The gap on the left is smaller than the one on the right by a smidge

Again, I may be off due to angles/lighting so please take with a grain of salt. I know that having a second set of eyes with my stuff can reveal things I missed along the way just due to staring at it for too long at close range.

I'm honored that would choose two of my drawings to sculpt...I can't put into words how cool that is. Thank you and I can't wait to see you kick ass on them!

I see the left wheel on the cheek lower than the one in the right, thats just what i saw :). Its almost there, can wait for the first one to be painted

Thanks guys.

Yea, working in marble clay is a pain. In number 2, it's actually white clay in-between two darker pieces and it gives that look. I'll take a look at the other areas. I've had trouble with the round things staying up, I fixed them before the pic but have to do a better job at it. I still have 3-4 3-4 weeks untill I mold/cast one, so I have plenty of time.

Thanks again!

Looking awesome, as usual, Doug. Definitely review Jason's comments. The symmetry issues stuck out to me, too. This week's word is "calipers"...

I'm going to review Jason's comments. The majority of the sculpt is done pertaining to have it blocked out and having things in the general area that I want them. Sort of a "rough sculpt" like a "rough draft" of an essay.

Over the next three to four weeks this is the process I'm laying out:

-First round of detail/check for adjustments.
-First round of smoothing.
-Fine details added.
-Second round of smoothing.
-Final details added.
-Final smoothing.
-Prepare for molding

I really like sculpting it at an upright angle, similar to meangene's bio armature. I might redo the P1 style armature and when I make a P2 armature, I'm going to have it upright using the system I used for my cannon and the shins.

Pm coming Brad...

How exactly do these calipers work?

Are they just measuring devices to help distinguish the symmetry of an object, or is it something more than that?

Calpers are used to measure the length from one side to another. So for example, when you make an eyehole, you want to make sure that the left is the same length as the right side so that they match.

If you have the long ones, you can spread them out all the way and they make AWESOME back scratchers. Just sayin'...

For symmetry, it's best to have a centerline. Place one end of the caliper on the point from which you are measuring and go perpendicular to the centerline. Tighten the wingnut to keep the length, then flip it over the centerline to verify the distance is the same. Damn it, j, just make a vid tutorial...

... I am just making sure I cover all the bases.

I am one of those types who straighten pictures on walls... even if it isn't my wall or picture.

If I had known about these calipers before I pretty much finished my bio sculpt I would have ordered a set. But alas, I went the route of Doug, got everything as close to eye straight as possible and think I achieved quite the good symmetry by eye standard. Plus, a little bit of "off-ish-ness" (is that even a word?...is now) is expected to make the project believable in it's "hand made" form...right? o_O And as many of you are long time Bio builders and crafters, I am only learning from the awesome props and such that were created by such talented hands.

You could say that I hope to only achieve the level of skill as you long time members and builders. I mean, I have been here a while... but most of you surpass me by years and more than likely have been doing projects far longer than that?

...and to keep on topic without seeming like I am jacking this wonderful thread... Doug is busting this Bio out like a mofo. There may be flaws, but this **** is beyond excellent in it's illustration that Rob has drawn and what level of talent that is coming out of Doug on it. It is truly inspiring. (y)

I 100% agree with you Reyals. The fact that Rob has been drawing Preds for longer than most of us have been fans speaks volumes. He can draw like a mofo on crack with a pencil as his fuel. He has inspired sooooo many people on so many levels. Doug has done an amazing job here...I have so much respect for Rob just due to his Predator contributions and and Doug for his ability to bring one of his designs to life...

This is what the Lair is about...

I have calipers, I just wait until the very end where I have everything in place. In a sense, I end up sculpting backwards and wait until the very end to smoothen it out, add the fine details, and align everything. Just works that way for me, I guess. There are some areas that I have to adjust [like what Jay mentioned], but I wait until the very end to tighten everything up, that way I'm not too over focused on one area for a while. I'll go over the entire bio a few times, like I mentioned in my other post. We all have different ways of doing it, no right or wrong. For me, it's like writting an essay. Instead of making everything down perfect first, I'll do a rought draft and then progress towards the final copy. Evven if I do get the bio 100% perfect, to me it will still be off unless I pull the lower part of the snout back like in the concept art...I'm just too "unsure" of pulling it back.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back