John the Robot

dreamer7

Hi All,

I'm interested in gathereing Info on John the Robot from the 1965 film Voyage to the planet of Dinosaurs, has anyone got any clear photos of him or better still drawings? I know It's a long shot.

Sincerely

Tom
Scotland UK

Originally posted by dreamer7@Mar 31 2006, 06:16 AM
Hi All,

I'm interested in gathereing Info on John the Robot from the 1965 film Voyage to the planet of Dinosaurs, has anyone got any clear photos of him or better still drawings?  I know It's a long shot.

Sincerely

Tom
Scotland UK
[snapback]1216668[/snapback]​

You mean Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet, which was the Americanized version of the Russian flick called Planeta Bur (Planet of Storms).

The American version chopped it up and added footage, they also reused the same footage for Voyage To The Planet of Prehistoric Women.

Anyways, the original Planeta Bur is from 1962 and is Russian, so you probably won't have much luck finding a whole lot of reference material other than the DVD's that are out there. The movie also goes by the name Planeta Burg. You can find DVD's of the original movie on eBay. That's about all the info I can give you.

BTW- It's an awesome movie and one of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks. I could probably post some DVD screencaps for you.

Hello Reel Maniac

Thank you so much for going to all the trouble of doing these screen caps for me, they are a big help. I have a few blurred images, and these are far better quality.
I'm thinking of attempting to draw up my own plans, just for fun as I love robots.
John has some of the features of Tobor and Robby which are my favorites also the B9. Thanks again.

Sincerely

Tom

Originally posted by Jet Beetle@Mar 31 2006, 09:38 AM
Wow - what the hell is this movie and why have I never seen it?
[snapback]1216721[/snapback]​

IMO it was the coolest space B-movie of it's time. It had pretty much everything in it- space creatures, dinosaurs, rockets, cool spacesuits, and of course the staple robot. The American DVD of Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet isn't the best quality, but you can usually pick it up as a double feature for under 10 bucks. It's been edited from the orignal Russian movie in a Godzilla/Raymond Burr kind of way.

*****, that's a fantastic design. Something about it just seems very strongly inspired, and I'm seriously digging it

I might have to catch this movie, just to see that robot in action :D

The production design of that movie looks fantastic.
Thanks ReelManiac and Dreamer7, you've helped open my naive cinema-eyes a bit. I LOVE that era of sci-fi movies, like Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

By the way, did you ever see the full uncut Russian version on Ebay? I'd like to be a purist and get that instead of the butchered American one.

I remember watching a Movie Magic documentary on the Skotak brothers (effects artists on the movie ALIENS) and I "believe" they had footage from this movie, featured a hovering vehicle. The documentary mentioned how inspired they were by this film and they even sought out several of the Russian FX crew.

Must find this movie. Must find this movie.

Thanks,
Scott

Someone spent some time on that Bot and should have a place with classic bots like Robby and B9. It looks solid when it moves. He makes TOS Enterprise bridge noises.

The movie is a complete dog.

dreamer7 if you don't have a copy you can have mine if I can find it.

Originally posted by Hangar18Studios@Apr 1 2006, 02:54 AM
By the way, did you ever see the full uncut Russian version on Ebay? I'd like to be a purist and get that instead of the butchered American one.

Thanks,
Scott
[snapback]1217238[/snapback]​

I've never seen the Russian version but I know it would have to be better without the added scenes. Though you can pick up the American DVD for really cheap, I paid a whopping $2.68 for mine at BarnesandNoble.com.

I wouldn't say the movie was a dog, it's pretty much along the same lines as all the old cheesy space movies to Venus and Mars. The stuff they used to show on TV late at night. If you like that kind of movie you'll probably like this one too, just don't expect something as high caliber as Forbidden Planet.

BTW- the Production Manager on the American version was Gary Kurtz- the same Gary from ESB which I thought was kind of cool ;) .

Originally posted by ReelManiac@Apr 1 2006, 06:50 AM

I've never seen the Russian version but I know it would have to be better without the added scenes. Though you can pick up the American DVD for really cheap, I paid a whopping $2.68 for mine at BarnesandNoble.com.

Ha. I got you beat at $1 at Dollartree. :p
I love grade Z movies to make fun of. I have found a bunch at the dollar stores of all places.

You can also find the original Russian cut under the titles "Planeta Burg" and "Planet of Storms".

This robot is also featured in a TV commercial for an Austrailan Call-Centre called ANZ, a couple of years ago.

ANZcom-02.jpg

ANZcom-03.jpg

Later a Dalek shoots him. :lol

ANZcom-05.jpg

- k

Good to see John the robot getting some kind of work. I know its hard for them to get work after doing a series or movie sometimes because they get typecasted worse than people.

And what really blows my mind is the seeing the daleks and B9 together. I would have figured that their "creative differences"(as they call it in the biz) would have kept them from working together forever. Its so good that they could put things aside for a project like that.

In going through some boxes I found the DVD and its a double feature DVD with Roger Cormans Creature from the Haunted Sea a film that despite its title is more painful than it is frightening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for bringing this film to our attention.
While I've seen Planet of the Prehistoric Monsters for sale, it looked too cheesy.

Hearing that its a foriegn film worth looking for is surprising.

Karl: have you got a link to that commercial?
It sounds funny.

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 1 2006, 08:36 AM
You can also find the original Russian cut under the titles "Planeta Burg" and "Planet of Storms".

This robot is also featured in a TV commercial for an Austrailan Call-Centre called ANZ, a couple of years ago.

- k
[snapback]1217389[/snapback]​

Hi guys,

...a bit late on this post, but I made the replica of him (well, the TOP half of him anyway) for that ANZ commercial back in Oz.

VERY interested in finishing him one day.
...or helping anyone else who wants to make him.

Think I still have our schematics n stuff packed away somewhere.

...and the Original " planet of Storms" rocks!
Lots of good ol' Soviet postulating about life, this n that. and John has a great Deep Russian accent to boot!

Needs to be a rediscovered wonder!!

Cheers,

Woz

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back