JM 1/24 Raptor from BSG - Update 4-19-06 PM

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Watson, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well I about mugged the mailman today as I knew it was coming. He kinda laughed and handed me the box. Really sad when your mail man knows who you are and that you are waiting on a package :p

Anyways I don't have time for a detailed description at present but I did snap a few pictures.

Kit is really nice. Packaged nicely with great reference material and really nice decals. I am trying to help Jesse by coming up with a lighting kit for it. It has multiple clear resin pieces that should transmit light really well and the detail is very crisp.

Just like any resin kit there will be some clean up and seem work to do but in dry fitting parts it seems really good molding and casting did all the hard work for us.

More later but here are the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Sweet. It made it (and by the looks of it I included an extra intake. ) (oops)

3. Watson

Woot spare parts :)

Great work Jesse. I just got through looking at the reference disk and man is a chock full of Raptor Goodness.

Great job my man. Now to figure out how to light her B)

4. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Definitely an exciting day. Looks great Jesse.

This kit must be for testing and instruction?

Can't wait to see how Jades lights her.

I wait with anticipation for mine..lol :D

Please send me an update email of the commissions when ya get a chance Jesse.

RAPTOR BABY. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET. :p

5. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Superb. :thumbsup

And just in time for the Raptor's new role as ground-based communications shack. :sleep

Oops, did I spoil anybody? I'm so naughty. :p

- k

6. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Hey Kurt,

No real change from when we spoke last. I expect to get your Raider started in the next few weeks. Not sure how long it will take me, but I wont forget about you.

Cheers

Jesse

7. Watson

I will be breaking out my lights and my good camera tomorrow to take some good pictures of the kits, some dry fit shots as well.

All I can say is man I am in love with this kit.

Greg

8. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Thanks Jesse.

I'd be lying if I told you my mouth wasn't watering for your kits and buildup skills..lol. :D

I am really looking forward to seeing what Greg does with this Raptor.

Any idea when that kit will be sent out? Is that a build we decided to have you do as well? :confused Can't remember. Maybe something to consider if not.. :) Interested?

Very mouth watering indeed. B)

9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, so it's obviously not a Dinosaur, Gun, Computer, Jet, Super-Hero, Super-Villian, G.I. Joe character, 4 Wheeler, Helecopter, Remote Control Vehicle, Keyboard, Joystick, Bird, Speaker, Etc.

What The hell is it?

Is this a BSG thing? Doesn;t look like a BSG ship to me. But again I don't watch the new show. Looks cool what ever it is.

I GIVE UP.... :lol :p :confused

10. Watson

It is one of the new ships from BSG :)

[​IMG]

11. dijinn

dijinn Active Member

Wow. :eek The kit looks AMAZING.... Must... have... one... soon...

Can't wait until they actually start shipping.

- J.

12. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

So, where's the new pics?

13. Watson

LOL I have not had a chance to take any yet. I assure you they are coming.

Greg

14. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

what is the CD-R for?

15. Watson

It has the instructions and reference images of the Raptor. It has some really nice shots in it.

JDH

16. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

That's outstanding work. Really a wonderful kit. I'll have to work one into my budget.

17. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

i like technology and all but i would rather have a manual, i mean like in paper, (dont say print it out) cuz then i would have to run back to the comp every time i needed something or assemble it in the dining room on the dining room table...i have tried that for some electrical stuff, my solder gun burned a tiny hole in the table cloth and my knife made a little slice....my mom wasnt so happy bout that...i wish i was 16 to have a job to get a laptop...

18. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Why not say "print it out"? That's the obvious answer. If you don't have a printer at home then hit a Kinkos, or ask if you can print it out at school. The instructions on CD-ROM is an excellent option. The biggest advantage being the reference pics. You can put a TON of images on a CD-R that costs 25 cents. Including those as good quality color prints will increase the cost of the kit.

Looks like an excellent kit. I'm looking forward to the build up pics.

19. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Fair input Star Wars man, and good response Red Two. Basically, it comes down to cost and ease. On the CD I can include a ton of images, color instructions, and notes. It's easy to update, and get copies to people if they need it. With my first kits I provided instructions on paper. They were black and white, and people wanted color. Some people lost them, which meant I had to print out new copies and mail them too them, which costs more money. In the end the CD allows most people to print the directions at any quality level they want to. I suppose, if someone bought the kit and said they did not have access to a printer I could print the instructions for them, but most seem the prefer this option.

20. REL

REL Sr Member

I love the CD instructions idea. I think that's what I'm going to do with mine, that is an awesome looking kit, very nice.

21. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

One CD-R costs LESS than one color copy at Kinko's

22. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

I'd love to have one of those discs aven if I don't get the kit...

But, is there any guesstimates on price of the kit?

23. Watson

Paul I would PM Jesse for pricing. :)

24. Watson

Okay so I have been putting to paper a few ideas I have for lighting this beauty. The dorsal fins are going to be a pain in the *. Most likely I will be milling channels in the two pieces to accomodate FO cable that will be puttied over.

The wing tip lights will have to be done the same way. Channels milled into the surface of the ship where there is no surface detail so it can be puttied over and sanded flush with no ill effects.

Since all the lights on the outside of the ship are red this really helps. I will be going through and documenting how to modify the parts so hopefully any skill level can do it.

For the internal lights I am thinking EL sheet is the best way to go. House the inverter in a base and if the invertor ever goes bad you can replace it wihout having to break open the model.

I should start having some pictures of my progress soon as I am waiting on some LEDs and EL Sheet.

Stay Tuned....

Greg

25. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

This is gonna rock.

Greg...u gonna build me one?.?. :)

26. Watson

Hey I can be bought :) Lets see where did I put that TOS raider? Oh yeah I don't have one LOL :p

G

27. Watson

Milled out some channels in the dorsal fins and drilled holes to run some fiber. More to come later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

dang. (good news is, its smooth...can't wait. )
    :)

29. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

JDH...what do you do...use putty to fill in the space?

30. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Too much shrinkage with that much putty alone. Try cyno or a bondo type material. Prime and wet sand. THEN glaze with a spot putty, prime and finish paint is the usual way:)

Mark

31. Watson

Either do what Mycroft said or use two part epoxie putty.

I prefer the wonder putty AVES.... No shrinkage and cures solid as a rock in 24 hours. It is workable for at least an hour and then once cured is sandable, scultable etc....

Best putty I have ever used.

JDH

32. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Cool info. I have been using red auto putty. I like it....but it can be a pain sometimes. I was wondering how you were going to cover up that channel. I have never lighted a kit before. I am interested to see how this progresses.

Can't wait to see more pics.

Steve

33. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

If you mean Spot Glazing Putty, try Squadron brand Green or White putty. Same consistancy, but much smoother texture when sanded.

34. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

you could always use resin. ;)

35. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Or Bondo. Stinky but good...

36. REL

REL Sr Member

I agree with Cobywan, use Bondo. Not the stuff that comes in the tube, the kind you have to mix with the catalyst, great stuff.

37. Blackbirdcd

Blackbirdcd Well-Known Member

Make sure the Bondo doesn't attack your fiber optics or the insulation on the wire (whichever is going to go in the channel).

38. Watson

Well my EL sheet came in today and I got to test it out. I definately think this is the way to go. The last shot looks more blue than it is. The middle picture is close to the real color.

JDH

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

39. Tordoc

Tordoc Well-Known Member

Wow, now I'm even more excited...

40. Watson

hehe me too :p

41. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

If you are running optical fiber then the Bondo filler WILL ruin them. Epoxie is a lot more forgiving to them.

42. Watson

I have about 80 things going on at once but I took some time to snap some shots of the raptor progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

43. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

That is sooooooo kewl.

44. Watson

Made a few changes. Decided to go with LEDs in the dorsal fins. The LED is not as bright as my crappy camera makes it out to be. Enjoy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]