Jedi Utility Belt Pouches Prop Replicas

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by the.rebel.agent, Jun 22, 2006.

1. the.rebel.agent

the.rebel.agent Sr Member

Hello there.

I as told you in my introduction, I am doing these Jedi pouches. They were from the original molds and I filed the holes and get them ready to cast. But, I was not able to find the right metal clips. I contacted several US vendors and nobody give me a sample, I was willing to pay for it. So If you can help me I will appreciate that. There are so many people looking for them.

If u want to see more pictures of them, take a look at the tutorial I wrote in my website at:

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...&lNewsId=43
    http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...&lNewsId=45
    http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...&lNewsId=59

I wrote them in Spanish, I am sorry :) . It is not finished. I will add more pictures in the future. U can use an online translator. This is my first resin work. I usually work with leather, so this is getting hard for me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Hey Kyle.

I'm Justin, one of Bryans Anakin buddies :) Glad to see you here.

I really like how the new wide turned out. Though sorry none of my links to close clips worked out. I have a few pictures on my computer that I can upload once its back from the shop.

If you cannot find the exact clips I wouldn't hold it against you, of all the details you never see them so any clip would work I think, as aggrevating as that would be...

great job finding the hinges and screws.

3. the.rebel.agent

Justin,
    Thanks for your kind words. Who knows, maybe some guy here will help us to find one. The ones I can buy in Argentina are black and 1 inch wide. They are like the one used but half inch wider. If I do not get any response about them here, I will end up buying them. I received 4 o 5 emails per week asking for them and I really want to finish them.

4. the.rebel.agent

I will add more pictures in the future :)

5. the.rebel.agent

Does anyone know how the hook pouch could be closed without modify the original mold? do you understand what I mean, I am talking about the closure method. The original one does not have anything.

6. RacerX45

RacerX45 Well-Known Member

Couldn't you use velcro to hold it closed?

What type of metal clips are you talking about in the original post? Do you have a picture?

Randy

7. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(RacerX45 @ Jun 28 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]1270178[/snapback]</div>
    Randy,

I am talking about one like this:
    http://www.eleatherworks.com/product.php?p...99&cat=0&page=1

Yes, I thought about the Velcro option. But I do not know. I am watching the magnetic solution too. Thin magnetic paper should work right?

8. RacerX45

The thin magnetic tape would probably work too.

No one will ship you those? Have you tried Tandy Leather?

http://www.tandyleather.com/

I get a lot of stuff from them. They carry the clips - look in the Hardware section under Holster clips.

Randy

9. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(RacerX45 @ Jun 28 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]1270292[/snapback]</div>
    Randy, Nop I did not try this one. I found this one:
    http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=1239-00

I think could work 4 the solid ones, but the hook pouch has one different in my reference photo. What do you think?

10. RacerX45

It looks similiar to this one:

http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=1240-00

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like they might have cut a slot in the back of the pouch and tucked the back of the holster clip inside the pouch. Do you have any other reference pictures?

Randy

11. the.rebel.agent

I found this one. Take a look.

12. RacerX45

Based on that picture, it looks like they used the clip in your link (http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=1239-00) and put the back half inside the pouch through 2 slots cut in it. Still, kind of hard to tell without a high res picture (or an original :D ).

Randy

13. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Any idea how much these will be finished and unfinished?

14. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(bleyd @ Jul 1 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]1272148[/snapback]</div>
    Could we talk about prices here? I am a new member. :confused

15. the.rebel.agent

Hello there. I received many pms asking for the source of the molds. I will tell you that the comlink pouch, the mechanicall one and the little one are from EP2 molds. The hook pouch is from EP3 obviously. I bought them in Australia. This week I am doing the molds, cause I finished the original. They came in good shape, but I filled the holes and repaired some flaws. Stay tune. Best regards. ;)

16. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Kyle Katarn The Rebel Agent @ Jul 1 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]1272260[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Hey guys... Let's not turn this into an interest or sale thread or it'll be pulled from the prop forum.

17. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Jul 2 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]1272666[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Hey guys... Let's not turn this into an interest or sale thread or it'll be pulled from the prop forum.
    [/b][/quote]

SurferGeek, It was not my intention to do that. This is why I answered that way. Best regards.

18. the.rebel.agent

As you can see, the used Velcro as closure method. I scanned this from Star Wars Fact File. You can also see the shape of the metal clips.
    I do not know if Vecro will do the work 4 the hook pouch. I do not even know if they glued the pouch for action scenes :) What do you think?

19. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Well apparently the hook pouch was never used, you can see Hayden take the hook from the leather one in the film. I am betting they were sealed for the duration of the scenes.

Personally when I get one from you I will be sealing it shut.

20. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ Jul 4 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1274063[/snapback]</div>
    DO WHAT? After that work I did. :( NO please. I found a case, that has a similar closure, but this one really works. I will try to take a good picture. It is a case to keep soap, I found it in the bath. Really amazing. :)

By the way, this friday I am going to learn how to do the molds. My pal in Agentina was very busy doing his own props, but he agreed to teach me on Friday. I will have some time to buy the silicon rubber and resin on saturday and start something next monday I hope. Best regards.

21. the.rebel.agent

So, any news about the metal clip? Nobody never saw it? or get one? or anything? :cry

22. the.rebel.agent

I am so excited. Today I went to my pal workshop. He teach me how to do the mold boxes. He also showed me the materials involved in the molds construction. So as homework I have to build the boxes for the next week. Fooling around the web I found this:

http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/Mol...0Directions.pdf

Very useful for me. So I am working so hard to finish the pouches this month. Best regards.

PD: This is my first work with resin, so be patient with me :)

23. the.rebel.agent

24. the.rebel.agent

25. the.rebel.agent

I just received the metal clips. Do not you know what happened. The ones I received are different from the ones pictured on the website. I will take some photos tonight and post them tomorrow. :(

I emailed the guys cause I want to change them. You will see the pictures and U will compare. :cry

Any comments about the mold boxes? Any advice before go to the next step?

26. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(Kyle Katarn The Rebel Agent @ Jul 11 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]1278946[/snapback]</div>
    Received ones vs Advertised. by the way, the one in the photo is the right one. The one used in the orignal prop according some pictures I have. Hurray. :) :) :)

27. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Awesome find there Kyle..

Its great to see you have such tenacity.

So when will these be availiable? :) I don't know much about molding so I cannot comment on that, hope it works out.

28. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ Jul 31 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]1291321[/snapback]</div>
    Primrodo. The mold boxes are ready. I am going this Thursday to the workshop to fill the molds with the silicone rubber. They will be ready to use in 48hs. So I hope start the copies next week. Stay tune.

29. the.rebel.agent

The pouches are in the workshop. ( out of my hands :cry ). The guy is helping me is doing the molds. He is using a vacuum machine and I hope to have them this week. Silicon rubber RTV takes 24 hs to be ready. I will post new photos ASAP.

30. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Great to hear an update Kyle. Looking forward to seeing these done.

Do you have plans on painting/weathering the pouches or will you sell them as a kit? Painted as if new?

31. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ Aug 10 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]1297728[/snapback]</div>
    As a mater of fact yes. I am planning to sell them as kit and painted like new. I am not the kind of guy who likes the weathered stuff. I always wanted the props like new. For obvious reason, the kit will be more cheap than the finished one.

The hook pouch kit will include the hinges, screws. The metal clip is very expensive for me and will be more easy 4 you to buy it from the retail source. I will provide the source and model. the finished ones will be complete. I am planning to buy more hinges. thanks 4 ask. PM if you need some additional information.

32. the.rebel.agent

I just bought 72 metal clips so I will be able to complete the kits with that. Good news. and 4 a good price too.

33. the.rebel.agent

Hello there. This is the hardware for the hook pouch. 2 hinges, 4 small screw, 8 large screw and 8 hex. Hope the mold will be ready this week. I did not contact the workshop cause I know they are working so hard. I will keep you updated. Best regards.

PS: I bought dark brown pigment for the resin. What color do yout think will be better for the base? Dark brown or reddish brown? Cause I can buy red pigment and mix them.

34. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

As a base I think that reddish brown is best and then painted brown over that, to be more accurate, But even the pouch there shown is white underneath....

Your call but I think reddish brown :)

35. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ Aug 14 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]1300182[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, reddish brown was my thinking too. And I was planning use that color for all of them. I think they used that reddish brown for all them in the pr. Some of them were a touch darker. Like the ones Obi-Wan used on Episode I. What do you think?

36. Primrodo

Primrodo Sr Member

Hard to say on the Episode 1 ones, I think they rescupted for these ones when they came out. Paint though is an easy thing to apply ;)

Any news?

37. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(Primrodo @ Aug 24 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]1306479[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing. I am calling almost everydat at the workshop. They are not charging me, so I will have to wait cause they are very busy. I am sorry. :cry

38. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

I missed the update with the hardware and hinges. Great find man. Can't wait to see a completed pouch. Great job.

39. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(bleyd @ Aug 24 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]1306565[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. The metal clip was hard to find, but I did it. Hinges were so easy. They did not sand the brand :)

40. the.rebel.agent

Well, today I received an email from the workshop, finally. they told me that the vacuum chamber will be ready next week. So I hope to have some news about the molds for next Friday. Have a nice weekend. :$

41. the.rebel.agent

42. takevin

takevin Sr Member

cool pics and nice job, do you have the tutorial in english?

43. RacerX45

How did you get them to be hollow?

Randy

44. the.rebel.agent

<div class='quotetop'>(takevin @ Sep 19 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]1322814[/snapback]</div>
    No I am sorry. You can try google or babelfish.

<div class='quotetop'>(RacerX45 @ Sep 19 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1322815[/snapback]</div>
    I rotated the mold while the resin was liquid. I did it several times. Took me a while. But my intention is do them solid, not hollow. Polyester resin is very strong. Even the hollow ones will resist a big punch. :D Next step, paint work. :love

45. the.rebel.agent

Well, for those whose are following this thread, I want to tell you that I am casting one kit per day since last sunday. I will post photos next Monday or Tuesday. :D

46. the.rebel.agent

This is the real attack of the pouches.

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...on=2&lNewsId=90

No really, these are the ones I was able to do last week. As you will see they are no perfect, but I will improve my technique very soon.

A complete kit is formed of a comlink pouch, a mechanical pouch, a medkit pouch and the hook pouch. The hook pouch is the hard one to get. Not about the shape, cause the mold is very hard to fill. This is why I was not able to get a clear cast so far. Nothing that cannot be repaired using sandpaper.

I grouped them in kits for Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and even Qui-Gon Jinn from several of the movies. You can do whatever combination to get the gear that you are looking for.

As for the last, I did a paint test. The brown paint I got was to dark for my taste, but worked out great for the test drive. Then I used another paint to make them look old and watered. What do you think?

Next time I will show you the paint test and assembly for the hook pouch. May the Force be with you.

PS: Polyester resin is very heavy. The little one pouch is about 151 grms, and the comlink pouch is about 540grams almost a pound.

PS1: Do not forget to check the high-resolution images.

47. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

those came out really nice. Great job and thank you for the link..

48. the.rebel.agent

Well my friends, I finished the sanding stuff and I am ready to paint them. My only problem is to get the right color. The test I did was with dark brown color. Looking at the photos I have I would say the color should be reddish brown. From c3 photos I would say that the hook pouch was the same color for Anakin and Obi-Wan, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

I found the Stop Rust paint from Rust Oleum is reddish brown but mate finish. I bought today from Rust Oleum Leather Brow, which I am no sure If will work. I am all ears. :idea:

Photo from the original one:
    http://www.theforce.com.ar/images/News/Jed...cas/SampleH.jpg

49. the.rebel.agent

Well, this post belongs here. It is about my wedding costume, but here I will show you how I assembled the resin pouches. That will help a lot of people in the future.

[​IMG]

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...amp;lNewsId=100

Next time I will show you how I assembled the hook pouch. By the way, the acrylic bases were laser cut. Check the high resolution images.

50. the.rebel.agent

This is the tutorial you were waiting for. The Grappling Hook Pouch assembly instructions. This is the one I used on my wedding night. I tried to put my cell phone in, but ended up on my leather pouch :) That will help those who are willing to buy the kit and want to know how to assembly all together.

[​IMG]

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...amp;lNewsId=102

Check the high resolution images.