Prop Store

JAWS the shark named Bruce.

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by decaturvader, Feb 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

I imagine he's been destroyed or melted..but are there any pics? Is the skeleton still on display somewhere?

2. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

One of the originals (might be the only remaining one) is on display in a car dealer/wrecker in LA. Someone here a few years ago tracked it down and posted pix. Wonderful to see the old boy again.

3. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Almost an original. IIRC, it was cast from the original molds (last to be done), but not used in the film. Ask Robstyle -- he has all the details.

4. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

As I remember it, the shark in the car lot wasn't actually screen used, but it was the last surviving cast from the original JAWS shark mold (which no longer exists).

It was in a pretty bad way too, there was a drive to try and rescue the shark but I don't think it ever came to anything, at least I never heard anything more about it.

I hate to think how the shark looks now, hsted up over the car lot in the baking hot sun like that... :unsure

5. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

Wow,

If a Bruce is really at an old car dump, someone needs to go out there and make him a cash offer for him.

Anyone know the name of the place?

6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

U Pick Parts junkyard

7. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I seem to recall people mentioning the car lot owner has been approached more than once about the shark but he ain't selling.

Wasn't a screenused Bruce used to create the shark for the backlot tour? Granted, by now it's probably been replaced or refurbished so many times there's little original material left.

In a previous thread someone reported that one of the sharks was on display at Universal for years, but in recent years it was trashed and replaced by a new (and inaccurate) sculpt.

8. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Yeah , I was at Universal a few months back and a "Bruce" was back behind the fire station on the backlot tour (at the bottom of the hill)
    Couldn't tell for sure & couldn't get a good pic.

9. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

Maybe we can all pool our cash and buy the poor fish; then he can spend a day at a time at each of our houses, much like that episode of THE SIMPSONS where Bart and his friends buy the comic book....;)

Actually, I had a tooth from old Bruce that was allegedly screen-used a ways back, and sold it to a third party.

I'd love to have that sucker back...or a reasonable facsimile. That was a cool piece.

10. Rocketbobs

Rocketbobs Well-Known Member

I have visited our pal Bruce. He is pretty hammered now. Plywood teeth....very sad.

I talked to the guy who was trying to buy him. "Save Bruce.com" I think. No offer would make this guy sell it. He charges a fee to get into the junk yard and he is making a ton of tourist money by having the shark in there. I mean its free money for the guy. No pictures are allowed in there either.

My pal Clint has made a really swell Bruce replica that will fit in your basement. I think the kit is on MIM. The likeness of Bruce is spot on.

What we need is a helicopter and some lifting straps.

11. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

well, this is where we need to go (as soon as we get that helicopter)
    We'll need to pack some heavy artillery in that neighborhood. :D

[​IMG]

12. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

That should be easy with some of the members on this board :)

13. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I have some rubber blasters.
    will that help?

14. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

When you visit Amblin there's a Shark's head in the well near the lobby. Not sure if it's a used one - but it's big from what I remember.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Well-Known Member

I wonder if you can see Bruce in the junkyard from Google Earth? Im on 56k so no chance of it for me, but it might be an interesting thing for someone with a REAL connection to try :)

16. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Well, here's the junkyard - not sure that I can spot Bruce though:

[​IMG]

17. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I imagine this guy probably looks like the guy who rented out the space to park in "Christine". Slimy, evil, and greedy. Appropriately, the shark should fall mouth-first on him.

18. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

[/quote]

Well, here's the junkyard - not sure that I can spot Bruce though:

[/quote]

I am betting it is right between the 2 "houses".

The other picture shows him under some palm trees and the only palm trees I see is in the center of the image

19. elwood49

elwood49 New Member

There were 3 original Bruces used on Jaws. Each one was used for a different type of movement on the film. The 3 originals all no longer exist, since they were originally made for use in fresh water. They were badly damaged by the salt water. Some parts of the 3 originals were used on the sequels. I know one of the heads was put on a new body for Jaws 2.

The shark seen above may have a few original parts from the '75 film, but it's likely just a new one they created for the sequels. It's still very cool though.

BTW, I don't know if everyone here has heard, but Sideshow has acquired the Jaws license and they are debuting a 24" long Bruce miniature replica at next week's ToyFair. I know it's not a true "prop", but it's the next best thing, IMO. I hope that it ends up in a similar style to the MR Nautilus.

20. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Very cool. So does someone have any specific info on this? Where did the guy get it, is it def from the original molds, potentially screen used, etc... History??

-Brandon

21. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

There used to be a website kicking around, a 'Save Bruce' type of thing with lots of background info and images, I've googled it but not managed to relocate it.

22. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Could this be the shark?:

[​IMG]

23. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

Hey, that's like 2 miles North of where I work. And you aint kidding about needing some artillery.

24. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rubber Lewis guns? I paid for a Rubber Lewis gun nearly a year ago.... still haven't seen it :lol

25. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I'm sorry, that was before my time. :confused
    don't know what happened there.

26. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Old thread, I know...

He's in between the trees. :D

Nah, I've got a pal [who visits Amblin all the time] that took photos for me -- a big no-no -- which shows that thing. It really is like a cartoon. But then again, so is the shark on the tour. That thing has carrots for teeth! :unsure

27. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

I thought I read somewhere that the shark at the Universal backlot tour was cast of the movie shark molds, with the modifications, over the years, to make it look more menacing, like the carrot teeth.

Anyone seen the documentary "The shark is still working"?

http://www.myspace.com/tsiswmovie

28. Laffo

Laffo Sr Member

29. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Nah, pretty sure that the shark on the tour is a copy of Brucette...? So a couple of generations from the original. :)

Less than 100 people have seen that. And I ain't one of 'em! :angry

30. FISHZILLA

FISHZILLA New Member

Nobody has any pics of the Bruce in the Junkyard?

31. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

I had one a long time ago, I'll see if I can find it. Hopefully it's not on some old, dead hard drive.

Cheers,

Kraig

32. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Well, that was easier to find than I thought it would be...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure who to credit for the photo, I got it a few years ago.

Cheers,

Kraig

33. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

This is the LAST remaining copy made from the molds of the original shark. It's not screen used, but as it's the last surviving copy from the original molds, it's the closest thing left to the original screen used sharks.

He used to hang at the Visitor's area at Universal Studios in Hollywood. They replaced him with a mako looking shark. He now sits in the junkyard about 5 miles north of Universal Studios.

I have it from reliable sources that the owner will not sell and he's not budging. Greg Nicotero offered him big $$ for it also and he declined.

People pay money to go into the yard to see the shark, it's also been filmed for various TV shows...so the owner knows what he's got there.

34. FISHZILLA

FISHZILLA New Member

Love this thread! So what is this one made of? Fiberglass or rubber?

35. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How did some greasy junkyard owner get a piece of cinema history??

36. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

AFAIK, Universal were throwing it away when they brought in the new, innacurate display shark. The JY owner rescued it before it was dumped.

I think it's fiberglass with a rubber outer skin, or possibly just painted fiberglass. It's the outer layer which is peeling away, the fg structure itself should be very weatherproof. The teeth are just plywood make-do's someone has thrown in there, not acurate at all.

37. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been wondering that for years.

38. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Yeah, according to the current owner the shark was sitting in the Universal backlot waiting for the dumpster or the sledgehammer when it was offered to him.

39. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Some great footage of the original Bruce (made from the same molds as the JY shark pictured above) during prep for the filming of JAWS - these were posted by my friend Jimmyjawz over on www.thejawsboard.com:

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.co...Taylor-stock-footage-15796-841528-120-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11454-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11455-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11456-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11457-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11458-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11459-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11460-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11461-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11462-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11463-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11464-841528-0-60.aspx

http://www.absolutelywildvisuals.com/Jaws-Filming-stock-footage-11465-841528-0-60.aspx

The original Bruce was a very singular shark with specific, recognisable features, unlike the sharks used in the sequels. Notice the heavy jowls at the sides of his mouth, in particular - this is one of the unique features of the original Bruce shark.

Al

PS - 3,000 posts - wow...

40. Jon8712

Jon8712 Well-Known Member

Here's a recent picture of Bruce from when we visited him in August.

The story we've heard is that his escape from Universal was not so legit, and Universal may be seeking to "re-capture" him...

Art
    'Jon8712'

41. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Anyone know why he's called Bruce?

42. artoo77

artoo77 Well-Known Member

He was named after Spielberg's lawyer at the time.

43. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

:lol:lol:lol

Perfect.

44. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, then thats the one I saw in person many years ago.

That thing was HUGE! :lol

45. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

jesus christ - LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT LADDER!!!!!!:eek :eek:eek

46. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

LOL

Everything is bigger in America...:lol

47. CTF

CTF Sr Member

It's a real sad story when it comes to the iconic pieces from JAWS. :cry

What's funny is that I see a lot of fans angry at Universal 'cos they let the ORCA rot away... lost track of the original Bruce/s. And while that's true, it wasn't Universal that let the ORCA II rot away on the beaches of "Amity". :( At least the ORCA was being used at USH (hey, even the 'berg used to sneak down and eat his lunch on it). But the ORCA II just sat on a beach for 30 years, rotting away (and being "salvaged" by fans ;) :p). But I'm glad the people that are guilty of the latter saved a few pieces, though [such as a whole lot of those barrels, estuary fin, Quint's reel and "fighting chair"]. :)

Here's hoping that they get Bruce -- well, Bruce's poor inbred cousin, anyway -- back from the junkyard. :thumbsup

48. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

I kinda like the idea of fibreglass Brucey staying where he is!

Perhaps Universal will allow him to stay on perminant loan somehow? Ironically he's probably safer in that junkyard where at least someone's making sure he isn't chopped into bits and scrapped..

49. thx217

thx217 Well-Known Member

Somebody should restore it to its original look. What a waste.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  50. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol :lol :lol