JAWS: Quint from the ground up (Shoes, Pants, Shirt, Jacket, Hat)

That looks about right. I just went back and looked through some screencaps to refresh my memory. Looks like his belt has a leather keeper on it too though.

I looked through his post, but can't find where Boss says what material the name tag was from, but my wife figured it out. Oil lantern wick material. After stenciling it black and fading, that is genius as it seems as it already had the same texture.

So I think we all narrowed down the name tag material until further correction. But I will update after we append it to our coat.

New screenshot of Quints name tag from my 4k copy of the film added. (Sorry, I know it's a 4K, but it was the 70’s)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-11-27-02h31m50s169.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-11-27-02h31m50s169.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
These I found actually are a little more accurate if you don't mind buying again. I can show you a photo of these and the pants.

Here are the pants I bought.

I actually bought a vintage pair of the actual shoes. You can see them back in the thread.

I removed the cuffs, cut off about an inch of the sleeve and reattached the cuffs with the same off-white thread as the other repairs.
Yeah, I might not go that route, I have a pet peeve about short sleeves on my arms.
Also, I am using the M-65 Field Jacket that has Velcro and no V-cut down the sleeve.

So it will take a little work to replace the Velcro with the buttons, buttonholes, and that v cut.
Do you know what size those buttons are? Mine might be the same size as the M-65, though they are a different color.

Also, what size lantern wick material was that?
Correction: You said it was Military name tape then? I could have sworn it was wick. Let me know the dimensions if you could.
Thanks so much for your assistance. You have helped a lot of Captains on this island. ;)

Attachments

• VNM65back_DETAIL.jpg
    VNM65back_DETAIL.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
After some work we went with this. I totally love Boss's take but for myself I went for something more natural. This is a work in progress.

Attachments

• 1217202335_Film3.jpg
    1217202335_Film3.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 148
Is the dark jacket that Quint wears in the town hall meeting scene with the chalkboard, etc., a CPO shirt? Very common back then. My brother and I had them. Thanks for any info.

Hello Boss, could you possibly tell me how the Levis Orange Tab shirts run? I can't decide what size to buy and its a pricey shirt to have to buy twice.

Is it true to size or should I buy 1 up or 1 down? I am normally a size XL in a button down shirt similar to that.

Hello Boss, could you possibly tell me how the Levis Orange Tab shirts run? I can't decide what size to buy and its a pricey shirt to have to buy twice.

Is it true to size or should I buy 1 up or 1 down? I am normally a size XL in a button down shirt similar to that.
When it comes to vintage stuff from the 70s I always order a size up.

Was looking up source materials for a Quint build and while reading through this thread, my buddy sent me this. I had never known about this scene:

Is the dark jacket that Quint wears in the town hall meeting scene with the chalkboard, etc., a CPO shirt? Very common back then. My brother and I had them. Thanks for any info.
I need this same info. I want to do the chalkboard scene. Anyone pass a guess on the dark coat/shirt he has over his normal blue shirt?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back