JAWS: Quint from the ground up (Shoes, Pants, Shirt, Jacket, Hat)

First off GREAT WORK!
Looking at hats from the period, and stills from the film, I think that elastic is the more accurate choice. You also need to add the second row of topstitching to the outer seams of the center panels.
View attachment 1242911View attachment 1242910

thanks for the kind words and for the feedback. agreed on the second row of topstiching. I have made a new version with double threads (pics in a few minutes). It looks closer to the original, but due to the nature of the fabric and the model of my double needle sewing machine (which is a flat-bed), it's more difficult to lay the stitches and they don't look quite perfect. A column double needle sewing machine would help laying the stitches perfectly parallel to the edge where the fabrics meet. I'm not sure what's best, better looking stitches or closer to the original.

disagree on the stills from the movie - to me, the frame with the back of the cap shows it's not elastic. What probably to you seems it's fabric puckering, to me it seems it's just Quint's hair curling from underneath the cap.

I also prefer fitted, but elastic wouldn't be awful. Any idea of what the cost would be?
I have managed to source a decent fabric. I'm saying decent instead of perfect, as it's not waxed canvas. This is a rigid mix of cotton and acrylic fabric. (82% + 18%). I'm considering using this fabric, as to me it seems good enough, and starting making and selling them. The price for a cap using this fabric would be $40, with shipping included worldwide. I will continue to search for waxed canvas and if I find one that suits the needs of the project, I will start making caps using that one, too. The waxed canvas would cost $45 with shipping included.

I have attached the latest version of the cap. You can see in the side-by-side comparison the color difference between the new fabric (tan colour) and the old one (more greenish).

Attachments

• quint third and secnond try.jpg
    quint third and secnond try.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 611
  • quint third try.jpg
    quint third try.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 246
Late to the party but there is a woman on Etsy who makes Quint hats. That in fact Nick Marra has asked her to make one for the Quint display.

Yeah, that hat is the outdated one. Here's the link for the new ones she makes and that is going to be used for the display.
I just ordered mine and am in no way affiliated with her products, just wanted to give you fellas a heads up while I was in here researching for the coat rip details.

Yeah, that hat is the outdated one. Here's the link for the new ones she makes and that is going to be used for the display.
I just ordered mine and am in no way affiliated with her products, just wanted to give you fellas a heads up while I was in here researching for the coat rip details.
Ah, Stockbridge Sewing Works. I have one of their "8 panel Mechanics' Cap in indigo denim" and I really like it--constructed well, comfortable, and the sizing is pretty much spot on.

I would already have ordered one of their Quint caps, but I couldn't decide which color is closest to the cap Mr. Shaw wore. Now that I see the comment in your post above, it seems "brown" is the correct color. Thanks!

Ah, Stockbridge Sewing Works. I have one of their "8 panel Mechanics' Cap in indigo denim" and I really like it--constructed well, comfortable, and the sizing is pretty much spot on.

I would already have ordered one of their Quint caps, but I couldn't decide which color is closest to the cap Mr. Shaw wore. Now that I see the comment in your post above, it seems "brown" is the correct color. Thanks!
I went for the film accurate custom size as the adjustable back wouldn't look right, I just grabbed a measuring tape and sent her the cm/inches, and she told me the size to order. And yes brown is the correct color. Will post when it arrives. :)

UPDATED TO SHOW RESULTS OF RESEARCH
SHOES: Sperry Top-Siders CONFIRMED
Budget Option: Sperry Cloud CVO Deck Sneaker
PANTS: Lee/Can't Bust Em Frisko Jeens CONFIRMED
Budget Option: Ben Davis Work Pants
BELT: Garrison Belt
SHIRT: Levis Orange Tab Cotton Chambray Work Shirt CONFIRMED
JACKET: M1951 Field Jacket (with modified sleeves) CONFIRMED

HAT: Kaint Shrink Work Cap SPECULATION
Budget Option: Waxed Cotton Fishing Cap from Stockbridge Sewing Works

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the coming weeks I plan to put together a complete Quint costume.
There is some good info out there, but also some misconceptions about the components of Quint's basic look.
I'll be documenting the costume build as pieces come in and I thought it would be fun to start with the soles of Quint's shoes and work my way up:)

In JAWS Quint sports a pair of original Sperry Top-Siders (interestingly, this is the only item of clothing carried over from the novel). They are well worn and soiled beyond their original tan color.
View attachment 1030691View attachment 1030708
I was able to score a pair of deadstock vintage Sperrys in my size on the 'bay.
View attachment 1030690View attachment 1030709
If you don't want to go the vintage route, Sperry still makes a decent facsimile of their original shoe under the name of Sperry Cloud CVO Deck Sneaker
They are currently sold out of some sizes (including mine:( ) but your mileage may vary.
These I found actually are a little more accurate if you don't mind buying again. I can show you a photo of these and the pants.

Here are the pants I bought.

Last edited:
Thanks for the new info, Ratso. I'm quite content with my costume, but it's always good to have updates. I totally would've gotten the Etsy cap if I hadn't already spent a wad on the Heddel's.

Fun little Halloween video from last year 2019.
New hat coming soon, as well as new upgrades to the coat. (Thanks Boss)
In it, I am joking about the kids being like sharks.
(Hah, guy around 25 seconds in honked and yelled "Shark" if you listen.)

And I hear you Doh2, It's a treadmill.

Last edited:
Oh, and that was not some stupid effect on my eyes, just a bad night to film guys.
Here are some photos also.

Attachments

• 1031191447.jpg
    1031191447.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 148
  • 1031191514a.jpg
    1031191514a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 259
When I first thought of doing Quint, I wanted to create a giant shark head and attach fake guts around my belly so it looked like I was in the process of being eaten. But I couldn't think of how to do the head and still make it possible to walk around. I also didn't want to use one of those cheap, fabric costumes as a gag so just went with Classic Quint.

Quint wears a black belt with nickel single tongue, center-bar buckle. It looks like he doesn't always thread the belt through the second side of the buckle though. These style of belts usually come in 1.75" width.

You can get them as Garrison Belts or Umpire Belts.

Wow, the pants I have are way off, sorry for acting like a know-it-all. I thought side pockets and went off the rails. Disregard. All apologies.
Anyone know an alternative for those jeans mentioned in the first post by Boss?
And Doh, yeah I was going to work a shark costume head into the costume but the wife had a cool idea to make it a couples night.

EDIT: Found a pair that looks like a possible substitute for the pants, what do you guys think?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back