JAWS: Quint from the ground up (Shoes, Pants, Shirt, Jacket, Hat)

Looks great! I have the correct jacket and did this costume a while ago but your research and details are amazing. Definitely inspiration if I try it again.

Edit: PS also did you end up shortening the sleeves on your jacket? I need to do that on mine at some point too.

;)
Looks great! I have the correct jacket and did this costume a while ago but your research and details are amazing. Definitely inspiration if I try it again.

Edit: PS also did you end up shortening the sleeves on your jacket? I need to do that on mine at some point too.
I did! Forgot to take pictures. I'll get them up soon. I also noticed a new tear on the back of the jacket I need to add.

Sleeves have been shortened.
A9D1230A-F073-4056-A66F-5D3431002F1A.jpeg

Boss, how are you planning on tackling his name patch? I can't tell if it's a piece of canvas sewn to the jacket or what. I did snag some stencils that appear to be the correct size, but the "Q" is the wrong shape so I might have to just do that letter by hand.

Boss, how are you planning on tackling his name patch? I can't tell if it's a piece of canvas sewn to the jacket or what. I did snag some stencils that appear to be the correct size, but the "Q" is the wrong shape so I might have to just do that letter by hand.
I just ordered some white military name tape, dyed it with coffee, and cut a stencil out of card stock.

Boss, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing onto your thread, but I took 2nd Place at work today (a guy dressed as Neytiri from Avatar took 1st).

I couldn't find any military tape wide enough for the name so improvised by getting some strapping material and painting it with sepia watercolor. Stencils and a dry-ish Sharpie completed the look.

Picked up the shark via Amazon, and used three Barrel of Monkeys games for the -- wait for it -- barrels.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, fellers!

48994485337_c7680203bf_c.jpg

Killer outfit!

Back in the mid 1970s, I had several of the exact same hat that Shaw wore in the film. Used to buy them at my local Army-Navy store (remember those?) although it was an off-the-shelf item and not made for the military. I believe the manufacturer was Otto International. I've tried contacting Otto, but they never responded. You might have more luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, Probe Droid! I'm done looking for hats, but I'm still curious to find out what was used exactly. The closest modern thing is a so-called camper cap.

Hello guys, I'm a cap maker from Romania and just read this thread. I'm considering making a batch of Quint hats, that in my mind should be closer to the original than the ones posted in this thread. I was especially annoyed by the side-by-side picture in the Heddels article, with Quint on the left and the author of the article on the right, wearing a navy sample of the Knickerbocker Quint hat, saying that "the shape was just dead on". The shape was not at all dead on, in fact it was way off. I have the skills and the machinery to make it happen, what I don't yet have is the right fabric. But once I have it, I'll start working on the cap.
Wish me luck.

Hello guys, I'm a cap maker from Romania and just read this thread. I'm considering making a batch of Quint hats, that in my mind should be closer to the original than the ones posted in this thread. I was especially annoyed by the side-by-side picture in the Heddels article, with Quint on the left and the author of the article on the right, wearing a navy sample of the Knickerbocker Quint hat, saying that "the shape was just dead on". The shape was not at all dead on, in fact it was way off. I have the skills and the machinery to make it happen, what I don't yet have is the right fabric. But once I have it, I'll start working on the cap.
Wish me luck.
Keep us posted.

I've started working on the prototype, even though I don't have the ideal fabric. I want to get the shape right in the meantime. To me it looks like the other attempts at Quint’s hat have the middle bit of the cap too wide. I've made this first attempt narrower than my regular size but still to me it doesn't look perfect yet. Second iteration will be even narrower. What do you guys think. The brim will also be a little bit longer than this first attempt.

Attachments

• 20191230_141134.jpg
    20191230_141134.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 273
I've finished the first try and also made a better version. Second try has the middle bit 1 cm narrower, the brim is 3 mm longer and the two rows of stitches on the brim are placed differently. The first try turned out to be a little too wide so I've added elastic in the back in order to fit my head. The second try is fitted on my head (57.5 cm). Thinking about future production, I know the original cap is fitted, but production wise it would be easier to make them with elastic in the back, so that a cap can accommodate two sizes (1 cm difference in between them).

Please help me decide what's best: If you had a choice between an elastic version, which would be a little bit cheaper and a fitted version which would be a little more expensive, which one would you choose? (considering they would be both cheaper than what's on the market right now).

Attachments

• quint first try.jpg
    quint first try.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 189
  • quint second try.jpg
    quint second try.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 233
I've finished the first try and also made a better version. Second try has the middle bit 1 cm narrower, the brim is 3 mm longer and the two rows of stitches on the brim are placed differently. The first try turned out to be a little too wide so I've added elastic in the back in order to fit my head. The second try is fitted on my head (57.5 cm). Thinking about future production, I know the original cap is fitted, but production wise it would be easier to make them with elastic in the back, so that a cap can accommodate two sizes (1 cm difference in between them).

Please help me decide what's best: If you had a choice between an elastic version, which would be a little bit cheaper and a fitted version which would be a little more expensive, which one would you choose? (considering they would be both cheaper than what's on the market right now).

First off GREAT WORK!
Looking at hats from the period, and stills from the film, I think that elastic is the more accurate choice. You also need to add the second row of topstitching to the outer seams of the center panels.
S-l1000.jpgjaws48.jpg

Honestly, I'm not in the market for another Quint cap, but would have preferred if the Heddels I own was fitted instead of adjustable. That said, it'd be interesting to know what the original cap did in the back. Boss' screengrab does make it look like elastic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back