Japan = heaven

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just returned from two weeks in Japan. Went to Wonderfestival, and many many many model shops in Tokyo... I got Morser Karls for $8. * Rads for $8-14. Crazy cheap stuff... here's what I somehow fit in the checked bags:

232, 222, 8Rad x4, Matra, Glaug, Matilda, Croc x2, 232, SAS Jeep, Karl x3, Gephard x2, unch of armor and 1/20 F1 cars.... more MaK donor kits...
P1050171.jpg

Wonderfest kits (some MaK bought on "secondary market" in Akihabara and not from WF08) One Man Pod, Hover Bike, Elephanten, Falke II (revised), Mk52B & G, AFS proto (one window), Dr P, FBoot, whole mess of figures, new revised Spinner book, Tshirts (MaK), AFS launcher/breather, Polar Bear from Kow, machined engine bells:
P1050172.jpg

TONS of accessories, including super-sub-mini leds (prewired with resistors), that vinyl wire you get in F1 car kits in all colors, braided metal tubing, tensioner springs, A-Springs and C-lines, decals, and that tightly coiled plastic stuff on the original Ferkel:
P1050173.jpg

TONS of options parts, photoetch, train stuff:
P1050174.jpg

Detail of train stuff
P1050176.jpg

Original donor parts for Krote (has added detail Nitto omitted):
P1050178.jpg

Photoetched Zeppelin kit (skeleton-like - so cool!!), perforated metal screens, photoetch tools, and spoons from a coffe shop I thought might be fun to use - long and slender!
P1050181.jpg

Detail on screen:
P1050182.jpg

Detail on Zeppelin:
P1050184.jpg

Cool lens plastic sheeting. Perfect to diffuse engine bell leds?
P1050186.jpg

Detail:
P1050187.jpg

Two vintage posters that I had Kow sign.
P1050189.jpg

P1050190.jpg

Kow signing them:
P1030990.jpg

Also - I am getting access to the Blade Runner PEtch material as used in the film!!! WOOO!

Lots of plastic-y goodness there! I miss the early wonderfests. The creature core/Takeya stuff. The hobby japans...

I really hope to go someday. Lots of robot/toy/model/high etch goodness!
Where is the best place to go to shop for gadgets and toys?
Obviously a convention is great, but assuming any time, any particular city/store/area to see or avoid?

I was following your trip via your webpage. I could not believe the amount of stuff they have available for modelers. It really puts the US market to shame. You can hardly find a decent model at a toy store anymore. :(

Glad to hear you had a good time! Nice haul!

Sean

I can just imagine what your suitcase was like. Must have thrown customs for a loop. Some gigantic trunk that weighs next to nothing. :lol

Ugh, man I know. I missed meeting a couple other friends I had planned to - not enough time!! Our friends kept inviting us out to see "xyz", and we can't say no!

We'll be back soon, you can bet on it. Maybe August?

I wore old concert tshirts the entire time, under a couple of sweaters I rotated. All of the tshirts were thrown away, and all of my socks (I took 14 pairs of older socks and tshirts with this plan in mind). Brought back the sweaters/pants/boxers. My wife was so impressed with the plan that she spontaneously threw out some tops, in favor of more Bento boxes that she's collecting. LOL.

So I did a little early spring cleaning on my vacation, too :p

I am sure you gotten stuff you couldn't find else where. Some stuff are for the Japan local market only. They work hard and play hard. The costuming activity is also very interesting. Luckily I wasn't posted to Japan for work, I'd play more than I work there LOL. All my friends came back with loads and loads of model kits and the after sales service for model kits is awesome. Big in Japan!:)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back