It's always 1943 in the back room...

Over the weekend, I put up the original builder's plate for an Army ALCO S2 locomotive on the wall of the layout room, which fits in with the layout's timeframe:
52879508044_43564a26b7_c.jpg

Then, I cut the cover off a copy of O Scale trains with my newest cover, and added it to the 'wall of fame':
52879721765_31651d93eb_c.jpg

The NMRA 4th region convention was last week. It was a nice event, I gave a presentation on military railroad operations for model railroads.
52896374128_c804480621_c.jpg

I also won third place overall for the photo contest. They combined the real and model photos and mine was the only model photo to place.
This is the original photo:
52342960562_6b88a72d72_c.jpg

t's been a bad couple of weeks for me and I'm just in a place where I can post about it.
My parents were both born in 1936, and well into their 30s when I was born. They had all the types of issues you expect from people past their mid-80s.
Dad got sick, went to the hospital, got COVID along the way (the hospital and the assisted living place are pointing at each other as to how he got it) and from those complications, he passed away on June 6. I find that date ironic as I've always been into military history and June 6 will never again be mainly the anniversary of the Normandy Landings in 1944..
I DO NOT want a bunch of responses to this or platitudes. I've got more of that than I could ever use at this point.
Dad was not only a great man (kind, funny, and the smartest person I've ever known), he was finest craftsman. In the 60s, he built a Civil War cannon (a M1841 6-pounder) that we re-enacted with into the 1990s.
52972897950_42ccaf0eee_c.jpg

Other than the barrel (the only thing he couldn't cast), he made every single piece of it, and anything that could be bronze, he made it as such. He couldn't bring himself to paint it after making those wheels.
He also built several cannon models, and this 1/6 scale James Rifle appeared in Finescale Modeler from this series of photos I took of it.
52972973948_f114b30f52_c.jpg

52972655709_8f7985c373_c.jpg

As for how this factors into my layout, Dad's last gun barrel is on my layout. I wanted a memorial on my layout to that unpleasantness in the 1860s (some Southerners call it, "The War of Northern Aggression,
but East Tennessee was quite pro-Union during that timeframe, something I bet they're proud of in a PC-centric world). He said he only needed to know what kind of gun barrel and scale I wanted. As I know the types, I said I wanted a 12-pounder 'Napoleon' in 1/48 scale, and it showed up in the mail about a week or so later. I jokingly said he didn't drill the vent at the back, which would be smaller than a tiny fraction of the diameter of a human hair. He thought that response was funny.
34893795961_07149bcb6d_c.jpg

I made the pedestal, and I still can't bring myself to weather it as it'd look (all such bronze barrels outside are oxidized in green unless someone polishes them regularly).

I just wish he'd been able to see the layout. I miss you, Dad.

So, this might show you why I have such an affinity for the 40s. I've been into WW2 living history since the 80s. I really looked the part when I started, and now I usually have a war correspondent uniform and equipment for public events. For this airshow over this past weekend, I brought out my Army Air Forces stuff. The hat was made by the same British guy who made them for the upcoming series, "Masters of the air," about the 100th Bomb Group. It's far and clear the most expensive new hat I've ever bought, but it was worth every penny...
47219.jpeg

I couldn't resist getting a 'hero' shot of the P-38 which flew at the show. This was one of just a few bits of sunshine all weekend.
20230617_082310-01.jpeg

I took some more shots last night, for a article I'm sending to the NMRA magazine. The vertical one is one I'm going to submit, but in color. I really like the 'old photo' effect on it, though.
53001988784_62b4137995_z.jpg
53003796950_d4703d3a3a_z.jpg

Incredible details!

I have been starting to do a deep dive into WWII modeling myself.

Been obsessed with the Pacific "dazzle" camo schemes and have been working on getting the schemes for Yorktown, Intrepid, and Franklin done along with Battleship Iowa and North Carolina

Also starting on a bunch of 1/72 Aircraft to represent the Pacific Fleet's aircraft

Military modeling is a huge hobby and has been so for generations. In fact, model railroaders have only recently embraced the products and techniques long used by military modelers (and getting far more realistic results for it).

Here's my latest magazine appearance. They came out to shoot stills and video not long ago.
It's not much if you REALLY want to see it.

Yesterday I got the On30 Annual in the mail with my article on operations on narrow gauge layouts.
20231002_120556-01.jpeg

And now I can introduce my wife as a published model railroad photographer!
20231002_120758-01.jpeg

Nice.
And the cannons you posted back in June.
When I was a teenager/young adult, had a youth Pastor that was big time into re-enacting.
I went with the group a few times to watch, and a few times just him and me, but so I could film everything to make a video for him. He had become the Chaplain. Good times.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back