Is this a new Vader stunt/promo lightsaber - The "Clapper Board" Saber?

saberguy2

Hello all.

I'm fully aware that this may well have been spotted before but, in case it hasn't, here's a bit of archive footage of Dave Prowse being interviewed for a TV programme called Clapper Board.
He's standing to what appears to be a well-worn Vader suit. He also shows off what appears to be a stunt/stand-in/spare/who knows what lightsaber made from a Graflex top half with the red button removed (but beer tab still attached) and the top section painted black. The bottom end seems to be a Kobold silver flash with some sort of ring attached (D ring?) to hang on the belt - there's another one like this isn't there? Can't see the glass eye so not sure. No grips or anythjing else. I've looked in this forum and in the rather excellent ultimate lightsaber guide but can't see it anywhere. Could it be made from an old droid caller prop and used for exhibitions/promo work?

Photos below. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Clapper Board 3.png
    Clapper Board 3.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Clapper Board 1.png
    Clapper Board 1.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Clapper Board 2.png
    Clapper Board 2.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 208
This doesn't show up in any behind the scenes footage or screen footage. It's known as something made and owned by lucasfilm in the archives, maybe for promotional stuff or something. It might be in the lightsaber guide - there is a shot of one that looks exactly like this but the top is a close enough copy of a graflex, painted slots and even a beer tab!

It's in the guide, that black graflex tip to me implied it may be Luke/Vader shared stunt from ANH, but we've been re-examining a lot of the ANH era stunt sabers.

There's also a promo stunt pained with a graflex as a template. So many of the ANH props didn't survive, or make it to the US from the UK, so a lot of weirdly build, cheapo repros were made for promos and stuff leading up to ESB.

As I say in the guide, Vader was the face of the OT, and easy for promos because all they had to do was find somebody tall to wear the suit for photo ops, mall openings, whatever. This time it was prowse, but it wasn't always. More than any other saber, Vader's was duplicated a lot to go with the promo suits.

Last edited:
Wasn’t this one turned into the saber in Luke’s hand when Vader cuts it off and the hand/saber go flying over the rail on Bespin?

To piggy back off of JamesKenobi, I also seem to recall there was a cobbled stunt made with a Kobold as a lower for the ANH promos, specifically the Vader one sheet.

That was my guess that the one sheet kobold and the ESB hand gag kobold weee the same, not sure there’s proof.

Aah, that's it - the promo one but before the bunny ears got bent around the flash.
Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 21.18.47.png

I hadn't realised there was a newer version of the SWLB. Well that answers that one then.

The grafted bayonet slots being painted on… so weird
Since the ports and other openings for a Graflex were cut out on the top, maybe a stencil had been made and painted for everything that needed to be cut but then they decided not to cut the slots for some reason after cutting everything else.

That’s what I assumed, actually. It’s just funny how they left it cause they didn’t think anyone would care/notice.

Clapperboard was a great movie show aimed at kids in the UK,Chris Kelly the presenter got lots of scoops and behind the scene access back then..I particularly remember him doing an interview with I think it was Kubrick about A Clockwork Orange..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back