Is there anything that can be done to increase the longevity of foam latex?

Lufo1138

Just got a screen-used latex mask, and its my first foam latex prop of any kind. I know latex dries out and falls apart over time, but is there anything that can be done to slow down this process? Any preservation techniques one can use? The mask is about 8 years old at this point but still 95% soft and pliable .

Just got a screen-used latex mask, and its my first foam latex prop of any kind. I know latex dries out and falls apart over time, but is there anything that can be done to slow down this process? Any preservation techniques one can use? The mask is about 8 years old at this point but still 95% soft and pliable .

You might find a link of someone who can help you:

Here...third one from the top on the right:

Tom Spina is the man :thumbsup

Hi,
I agree, Tom Spina is the Guru for this type of stuff. Some preventative measures you can take now are keep it in a plastic bag, with a form to help keep its shape and in low light.

Capedcollector

Thanks for the kind words guys. There are some things you can do (and things to avoid) that will definitely help you.

-Latex and foam latex items should be kept out of sunlight (or any light that emits UV, like fluorescents).

-It should be handled infrequently, as the oils from your skin can accelerate break down.

-I'd recommend putting it in a display case to keep dust (and, as an added benefit, fingers!) off the piece.

-The form Capedcollector mentioned really is one of the keys, IMO. Foam will become less pliable over time and having it properly supported so that it still looks great when the time comes that you can no longer reshape it is really important.

-You should also aim to maintain stable humidity where you display the piece (I aim for 50% humidity year-round for my personal displays).

If you want to do anything further (such as having a custom form made, a display case made, or address any already deteriorating areas or damage) please visit our site (click the banner below) and feel free to drop me an email.

Hope that is some help!

best,
Tom

Tom just did some preservation work on a screen used Mogwai I have and I feel very comfortable knowing it's going to last a very long time.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back