Is Orion Pictures still in business?

Wes R

Legendary Member
I was looking at the foot of my Neca Robocop figure and it says 2012 Orion on it and I thought that Orion was long bought out like the company who made the original Terminator.

Not since 1998 when sold to MGM

Maybe MGM is using the Orion copyright name on items from the Orion Pictures catalogue :confused

Hehe. I'm so proud that I understood that one MST3K:TM joke from "This Island Earth"'s opening credits.

*Credits play over a star field*
Crow: Hey, look! Orion is bankrupt.

Not since 1998 when sold to MGM

Maybe MGM is using the Orion copyright name on items from the Orion Pictures catalogue :confused

That's what I was thinking, just seemed odd to me that they had that on the foot after all these years. With MGM having money issues maybe it's easier to just put it down as Orion's.

Companies like to keep outdated trademarks, should the day come they want to use them again. When renewing Robocop trademarks, it was probably easier/simpler to rubber stamp everything else on the form.

Kinda like Star Trek TOS in syndication over the years (prior to Remastered). The prints ended with the animated Desilu logo and theme. Except it said (c) 1979 on it! Over ten years after they absorbed Desilu, Paramount went to the trouble to make a NEW Desilu tag with the recent renewal date. The reasons for these things are known only to pencil pushers...

i dare not say it, but orion pictures around here is an -ahem- "adult movie" producing company. also, they have those "special" shops around here

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back