Is it possible to rotocast clear resin?

andy19422

Sr Member
I was wondering if it is possible to rotocast with clear resin. The part will be tinted then frosted so the resin doesn't have to be completely clear just as long as it lets light through.

I was using an almost clear resin so it was easier to tint it with the pigments so i don’t see why not. I just had to ask for the special clear blend when i was ordering it

I'm asking because I phoned the UK supplier of smooth-on and they said that it's not possible because you would get lots of bubbles, is this right?

Without pressure casting, bubbles are probably going to end up in the cast cause you're just sloshing around the resin. I would imagine, if you cutup another resin rotocast piece, you'd find some bubbles as well, but since it's not clear, it's not an issue.

I wonder what would happen if you had a rotocast that could fit into a pressure pot.

Also since it dosen't have to be clear, just frosted, you could always pour your mold open to get a thin layer like a rotocast, then join the two halves together with more resin along the seam, maybe add some cabisil to make it pasty.

don't know if you would need to vacum degass it, could help though.

Last edited:
Another thing I just thought of is that if your trying to get thin walls and don't want to rotocast or can't inside a pressure pot, you could make a void that can be removed. This would also require joining the peice after both sides are cast.

Yes, I lelieve you can rotocast clear resin. What remains unanswered is the quality of that casting.

My guess would be to use a slow setting resin, and rotate on slow speed to reduce bubbles. That is if you have a roto caster, and not rotating by hand.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back