Iron Patriot Foam Build (Pic Heavy)

jayart05

Hey all...So I have been working on an Iron Patriot / War Machine IM3 build...Dallas Comic Con is on May 17th and I hope I get done in time.
I dont personal computer right now and so I am unable to use Pepakura
However....I have printed out template and viewed ALOT of builds from members on the site.
I'm also a member of a Predators Fan website and made a Beserker Predator 2 1/2 years ago so I am a little familiar with working with foam.

Well...heres the progress of my build
IP1.jpg
IP2.jpg

So I used interlocking foam mats...they are thicker than EVA Foam...but at this moment its all I can get my hands on
I sketch out the template based on my dimensions, place the cut out piece in the oven and heat it for 2 mins
at 300 degrees....then i remove it and mold it to my body until it cools and retains its shape

Last edited:
After I got the basic template down I began to mold out the accent pieces for the front and back
IP8.jpgIP9.jpg
I used fun foam with adheasive backs to creat thinner pieces that would add some texture and depth
I carved out the grooves in the foam with an exacto blade

I have a dremmel but i havent perfected using it yet.

Since I dont have access to pepakura like I would like...I did some research online and found an Iron Patriot helmet.
Pretty decent and it will get the job done for now...the faceplate even opens and closes
IP5.jpg
IP6.jpg

Dont hate me...LOL I promise to make a real one later

Last edited:
Then I cut out all the detailed pieces, spray painted them individually and applied them.
I have a few mor pieces to add to the front and back
IP14.jpg
IP11.jpg
IP13.jpg
IP12.jpg

UPDATE** Silver Trim, Vent Accents and Silver Gun rail
IP15.jpg
I will be adding the red trim to the inside space tonight
Red, Silver, Red accents to lower vents

IP16.jpg
Side View...I know the gun rail comes out a little far...after the Dallas Comic Con I will fix that

IP17.jpg
Back View

You are doing an awesome without using any pepakura files. I wonder if the components from that plastic helment could be gutted and used for the foam face plate you are going to make...:thumbsup

You are doing an awesome without using any pepakura files. I wonder if the components from that plastic helment could be gutted and used for the foam face plate you are going to make...:thumbsup

I appreciate the comp...yeah its been frustrating without Pep files...but im pleased so far. Ive learned alot.
I made the right bicep and arm last night before i went and saw IM3. Took 4 trys to get a decent shoulder bell.
I will post pics in a bit. About the helmet...thought the same...using it as a template.
Thanks bro

nice work mate I'm building the same suit but using jf customs speed build files just out of interest where have you cut the chest and back to to allow you to get into it? I've just finished that section and unline the Iron man costume I cant see a good place to cut mine at the side because of the air intakes :S

Nice... it almost looks like it's NOT made of foam! :thumbsup

LOL..thanks...I think the paint gives it that effect. Its super hardened now. I did the standard primer and paint job. I just watched a tutorial from STEALTH on doing the Tacky Glue solution before painting. Now I know....ugh!! LOL

nice work mate I'm building the same suit but using jf customs speed build files just out of interest where have you cut the chest and back to to allow you to get into it? I've just finished that section and unline the Iron man costume I cant see a good place to cut mine at the side because of the air intakes :S

Thanks bro...yeah...if you look closely you can see in the side view that I have a "snap, buckle thingy"..LOL...connecting the two sides.
I just unclamp one of those and I slide in my arm to the other closed side and then shimmy my shoulder up through the open side...once im in I close it. The opening on top is completely sealed but it gives my fat head just enough room to get through.
I wasnt too concerned about the vents being one piece since my arms will be down by my side most of the time.
ILLUSIONS!!!!! LOL

STEALTH give a really good tutorial on YouTube called (TUTORIAL "SUIT UP!" How to Connect Foam Armor Costume Parts)

Its very good. I think that tutorial would solve your problem :):thumbsup

Thanks for the reply yes I've seen stealths videos used his suiting up method on my original Iron man costume with buckles and webbing :) The good thing about the Iron man chest piece lay out is there was a nice clean line at the side to be able to cut the chest piece and then attach Velcro for seamless sealing once inside the suit but with the Iron patriot suit (well my one in any case lol) because of the air intakes it makes it difficult to find a good line to cut it and then re seal with Velcro if you see what I mean :) thanks for the help :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back